LegacyGT.com

first motor rebuild 05 wagon gt limited

so i just bought a 05 wagon gt limited 164k miles. drove it home 154 miles then blew up 5 miels from my house the next day. check engine light turned on car shut off mile after that.finaly gota it started after trying for few min clunking noise came from motor and huge amount of white smoke came out the exhaust.there is metallic in the oil. im already guessing the worst and blown motor and turbo.it did sound like a rod knock.towed the car home. so im gonna be tearing it apart next week and see if i can find out what happen.i have done some research and wanted to see what you guys think about my list of parts im going to order for the car. let me know i you dont think i need it or somthing i missed

Parts from Dealership

shortblock

engine overhaul gasket kit

oil pan

oil pump screen

oil filter

spocket assembly intake left and right

oil pump

pcv valve,hose & assebly

thermostat

turbo oil return hose

timing belt & component kit

water pump

i will be sending heads to machinist.parts im not to sure on is what turbo i should run.i do want to daily drive this would be about 40miles a day.I do have accessport,3in turbo back catless exhaust.i will get it tuned after i get smogged.i will have to smog vehicle as soon as i get it running so i will be putting the stock downpipe on.i was thinking about getting bigger injectors,maybe port the manifold and remove tgvs, what are your guys thoughts?is there any after market part you guys would reccomened over factory?.

You have joined a few common club. This seems to happen once a week.

Every thing you need to know is on here, read the sticky's at the tops of the forum.

Ask us before you spend money.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Read my click here link to read my story and how to do it right the first time.

Sounds like you have a good plan started.

A vf52 on stock fueling is a great DD.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

In the end i would like to be around 300-400hp.ill end up going for looks over power but i dont wanna get beat by a stock sti lol. Also should i look at getting arp head studs i keep reading once pushing 18lb of boost most ppl are upgradeing head studs? Your thoughts?. I wouldnt mind pushing 18lb if i can but willing to stay at 16 if i have to do a bunch to do 18

I would not assembly any engine without ARP head studs.

A vf52 with fueling upgrades will get you where you want to be.

contact Mike, "m sprank" at his web site http://www.infamousperformance.net He's in the LA basin CA and has been a long time trusted member and has a real repair shop. He can guide you. You can tell him I sent you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I got mine from Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com they are on the east cost but a great shop and customer service.

If you contact m sprank through a PM on here or call Mike from his web site http://www.infamousperformance.net he may be able to help you. He would know of a good place close to you to get one if he can't sell you one.

Depending on how long you ran the car with the bearings toasted like that, your gonna need a new oil cooler and pump at minimum. Id also check the turbo and clean it really well if not send it off to be rebuilt. While the heads are being redecked let them clean the galleys out well and install new valve springs. Sounds like the tainted oil might've gotten up there, but no way to tell for sure. Always better to err on the side of caution.

Reassemble using ARP head studs and id replace all oil feed and return lines as well, its hard for oil to hide in lines but just for peace of mind. 1 small foreign particle can ruin your day.

You'll see. My thought process right now is "I'm already spending $3800 on a block, why not spend an extra $300 for new lines, why not spend x for peace of mind." It'll add up quick, but at least you can sleep well at night not wondering what if. I'm already at $5,000 and I haven't even gotten to a replacement turbo or headers yet, which isn't necessary, but sometimes its what you want not what you need. :)

I've also heard as of late that people should be staying away from the gates kits, because they are made in China. I bought a gates kit but I am going to sell it off and look for an Aisin kit to replace it. Something about the water pump failing with the new gates kits. I'm not sure if the belts are failing or if its just the pump itself, but i'd hate to have to redo the timing or toast the motor again due to a failure on the pump.

good luck!

I've also heard as of late that people should be staying away from the gates kits, because they are made in China. I bought a gates kit but I am going to sell it off and look for an Aisin kit to replace it. Something about the water pump failing with the new gates kits. I'm not sure if the belts are failing or if its just the pump itself, but i'd hate to have to redo the timing or toast the motor again due to a failure on the pump.

good luck!

It's the tensioner that is failing. The idlers are also no longer the same as oem. The waterpump has always been questionable in my opinion. Lastly, the quality of the belt has also come into question as of late but it could be due to improper clearances with the guides.

Aisin is quality as is nitoma tbk5005.

FWIW, there seems to be two Gates timing belt kits now. One has the all the good parts the cheaper one doesn't.

I'll be doing the Aisin kit for my wagon later this year.

Depending on how long you ran the car with the bearings toasted like that, your gonna need a new oil cooler and pump at minimum. Id also check the turbo and clean it really well if not send it off to be rebuilt. While the heads are being redecked let them clean the galleys out well and install new valve springs. Sounds like the tainted oil might've gotten up there, but no way to tell for sure. Always better to err on the side of caution.

Reassemble using ARP head studs and id replace all oil feed and return lines as well, its hard for oil to hide in lines but just for peace of mind. 1 small foreign particle can ruin your day.

You'll see. My thought process right now is "I'm already spending $3800 on a block, why not spend an extra $300 for new lines, why not spend x for peace of mind." It'll add up quick, but at least you can sleep well at night not wondering what if. I'm already at $5,000 and I haven't even gotten to a replacement turbo or headers yet, which isn't necessary, but sometimes its what you want not what you need. :)

good luck!

If you noticed those are both on my parts list in first thread. Im also considering getting a killer b oil pick up

Keep any future plans in mind while your planning the rebuild. I just went through a shortblock and head work. I used the stock short block as the most ill ever do is a conservative VF52 build. It's easier to do things now like forged pistons or better bearings. Save yourself the downtime later if you go bigger.

My stock ej257 and vf52 is a great reliable, fun, DD.

It takes me about 45 minutes every 2 years to put the stock DP back on to pass emissions test. I don't change the map to the test, just keep it out of boost, get it tested, drive back home swap the dp.

My stock ej257 and vf52 is a great reliable, fun, DD.

It takes me about 45 minutes every 2 years to put the stock DP back on to pass emissions test. I don't change the map to the test, just keep it out of boost, get it tested, drive back home swap the dp.

Lucky for me i have a car lift to work on it.so i dont gotta crawl underneath😂😂

Archived