LegacyGT.com

Coolant Hose replacements

So doing my timing belt and will drain the radiator. Since all my hoses are 13 years old, I was thinking of replacing all the coolant hoses while I was at it. Apparently there are more hoses than I thought. I have the radiator upper/lower but do all of these other hoses normally wear out/dry rot? Here's what I found so far:

turbo coolant hose

throttle body coolant hose (are there 2 there?)

coolant fill reserviour - 3 hoses connected there

waters pump inlet/outlet hoses

heater hoses in/out

maybe I can use straight hose instead of these molded ones?

Thanks.

The molded ones are not that much money in the bigger picture. I used NAPA hoses for the top and bottom and OEM for the heater, oil cooler and turbo cooling. My other coolant hoses are still original.

Change out the ones that are easy while your there. How's your coolant cross over pipe ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Where is the coolant cross over pipe? I see a rusty pipe below the belts between radiator and engine that has me worried.
The crossover pipe is on top of the engine, under the intake manifold. The upper radiator hose connects to it. Similar to illustration below, #12.

The lower pipe rusts from the exhaust heat. "They all do that" after a few years, so no need to worry, just keep an eye on it.

subaru-cool-1.png.7329f045528e08db8a0397ff467f73c6.png

It's the lower pipe I was talking about. I replaced mine when I had the engine out. It sends coolant to the oil cooler, I replaced all those small hoses too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

The crossover pipe is on top of the engine, under the intake manifold. The upper radiator hose connects to it. Similar to illustration below, #12.

The lower pipe rusts from the exhaust heat. "They all do that" after a few years, so no need to worry, just keep an eye on it.

My lower pipe has big chunks of rust flaking off - not just surface rust. Thanks for clarifying which pipe was which.

I regret buying aftermarket upper and lower radiator hoses, I think I tried Gates and one other brand. The OE spring clamps just barely didn't fit. So I had to spend extra money on fancy hose clamps (Napa constant tension) that I still had to tweak a number of times until they didn't leak after the weather got cold...

Im doing the same while I have the engine sitting in my bedroom :lol: all of the hoses that were PCV had turned hard as a rock and one of the hoses in the back I have to check what it is it snapped off I pretty much got all the hoses from the dealer but the radiator upper and lower hoses my turbo coolant hose was very soft too so I got a new one as well it sucks pricewise but at least I will have piece of mind.

I regret buying aftermarket upper and lower radiator hoses, I think I tried Gates and one other brand. The OE spring clamps just barely didn't fit. So I had to spend extra money on fancy hose clamps (Napa constant tension) that I still had to tweak a number of times until they didn't leak after the weather got cold...

Uh oh I just got some Dayco hoses. Why didn't the spring clamps fit. Were they too small or too big for the hoses?

I seem to recall the issue when I replaced the OEM hoses during my engine rebuild, the new hoses were fatter, just use a screw type hose clamp like we have been using for decades.

Much easier to work with.

Archived