LegacyGT.com

2.2 fuel problem

I have a 1997 Legacy L wagon rhd 2.2 with fuel problems. Idles fine until you give it gas then smother itself out. I have replaced the following :

Fuel pump

Fuel filter

Fuel pressure regulator

Mass air flow sensor

Coil pack

Crank shaft position sensor

Spark plugs

The catlic converters have been gutted.

The car will not take off after you stop it has to idle and get rolling until the rpm's are high enough to take off. I don't know what else to do and I need this car to run.

Clean the throttle body and replace the air filter. Also, I'd do a engine flush. Take out the used oil, put on a cheap oil filter and cheap oil and then run a couple ounces of seafoam in with the new cheap oil. Let it idle for 15 mins or so and then change the oil with new good quality oil and a new filter.

To add some detail to what I said, walmarts generic brand is the cheapest oil you can get, so pick up 5qts of that (you'll use 4.3qts) and then a purolator or equivalent basic filter, do NOT by fram anything. Purolator is the cheapest I'd go for anything, let alone an engine flush. Also walmart is the cheapest place to get seafoam, so get a can of it while you're there too. Also to save you time, the filter part number is PL14461 or L14461

The car has to get up to 1500-1700rpms before it gets enough gas to take off. The trans shifts fine and works great it's like the car is starving for gas and has no power. if you keep the rpms up it runs ok until you come to a stop or going up hill.

If it was the knock sensor it'll run like poop the whole time. Idle air would cause it to not idle, but run fine otherwise.

I always check the big 3 when I have an issue. Fuel, spark, and squeeze. Do a compression test, it is super easy.

Compression testing is very easy.

First, you need a compression gauge.

Then, you just remove all 4 spark plugs, and either disconnect fuel pump relay, or pull the injector plugs on the engine (this will cause a check engine light after, but easiest way to kill the fuel). You don't want fuel spraying because it'll wash the cylinder walls down.

You then screw the gauge into 1 cylinder at a time, and use the starter to turn the motor over a few times. The gauge will give you your reading, like so

http://i.imgur.com/AT1nyDAl.jpg

That's your compression, and it should be around 180psi.

• 2 weeks later...
seafoam isnt good for oil. if you have any oil build up around bad seals it will clean it and make it leak.

yep. that stuff blew the head gaskets on my 97 LGT a few years ago

I done the compression test

Cylinder 1- 160

Cylinder 2- 150

Cylinder 3- 160

Cylinder 4- 145

I feel like cyl 4 is low. it is within 10% of the other cylinders though. Ours should be around 180PSI

Archived