LegacyGT.com

2.2 fuel problem

it will idle good all day at 700rpms you touch the gas and it wants to die. its like it is getting the gas cut off. could it be egr valve messed up I put a used one on it after it had been cleaned? Or could it be a fuel pump relay?

I suggested it because when I put my new engine in, I forgot to hook up the pipe to the intake tube and it would idle but then as soon as I pressed the gas, it acted like the timing was off and would backfire and die.

Basically it works like this:

In the old days with carburetors, you adjusted idle by the idle screw on the carb to allow the butterfly valve to open slightly to let air in. On newer cars, the IACV lets a little bit of air into the intake by way of bypassing the throttle body. Since this is controlled by the ECU, if the valve is stuck or sensor not working, the ECU might see it as the car is at idle. When you give it throttle input, it might not see the throttle body opening and increase your air in the AFR exponentially to the point where it chokes the engine.

What I would check is the readings on the IACV and the TPS by using a OBD probe. Somewhere in that circuit, one of them is not talking to the other.

Speaking of which, have you checked the TPS at all?

My vote is for jumped timing. That can leave you with an ok idle and a tiny fraction of normal power when you try to use the go pedal. And sometimes there are no check engine lights for this.

This was my next suggestion if the TPS and IACV tested good.

• 3 weeks later...
I was checking the timing belt out today and descovered that the crankshaft sprocket and pully are both broke where the key goes. I guess this is giving it enough room to cause it to be out of time. Hope this fixes it!

I was checking the timing belt out today and descovered that the crankshaft sprocket and pully are both broke where the key goes. I guess this is giving it enough room to cause it to be out of time. Hope this fixes it!

Chaz, sounds like your issue back in the day :lol:

Yep. It seems to only take a few degrees of movement at the crank to really F things up.

I ended up having to use a special loctite (609) to keep mine together. You can get a new pully, sprocket and woodruff key (I did), but if the slot in the crank isn't a tight fit on the key you are in real trouble.

OTOH, mine has held together for years with that 609. If you end up in this place and you don't just switch to a different engine, let me know and we can work through the glueing procedure.

Important parts of the gluing method:

You should make sure your oil pump is going to be solid for years to come. I put in a new one. You should threadlock the collection of phillips screws inside the pump.

You should put in a new front main seal so you won't have to worry about it.

You have to get the crank nose *perfectly* clean. I used straight isopropyl alcohol, and then acetone. Yes both.

You must be sure not to get any of the glue on the seal or it will be wrecked immediately. I tied to make a carboard shield that could be ripped out after, but it turned out to be too thick so I had to rip it out before tightening things. Perhaps you could very lightly oil it with a cotton swab right before gluing so the oil doesn't have time and enough volume to migrate around.

You will have a *very* short time to work once the glue is applied. Practice putting the sprocket in place perfectly very quickly.

When you are ready glue the inside of the sprocket. Glue the crank nose. Leave space so you don't glue the seal, but glue out to the tip so moving the sprocket won't wipe areas dry.

Get the sprocket in place with correct rotational alignment. Clean the exposed crank nose. Put in the key and put the pully on and tighten it down so the sprocket seats to it's correct depth.

Wait a minute and take the pulley back off without moving the sprocket. This way you shouldn't end up with the pulley glued. I think you have to wait 24 hours for the sprocket to cure.

I used jbweld to fill the gaps around my key because it was wallowed out that bad. Make sure this doesn't push through to the main seal if you do it. It's probably not needed anyway.

Use Loktite 609. It is designed to put gears (high torque) onto a shaft without the use of a key. Pretty much what we are doing here. It's lasted about 10 years for me. I believe that is about the limit as it does degrade in strength slowly over time when exposed to heat around 212 F.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived