LegacyGT.com

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know what is involved to upgrade from a base model (with manual seats) to a premium or limited seat with power adjust and heating? It seems that the base models don't have the wiring harness already under the carpet, but I see a wiring harness for the seat is available - does this mean that if I purchase the wiring harness, connect it to the correct location in the fuse box, and plug it in to the replacement seat (an original 5th gen legacy seat) that this would work?

Thanks!

Does anyone know what is involved to upgrade from a base model (with manual seats) to a premium or limited seat with power adjust and heating? It seems that the base models don't have the wiring harness already under the carpet, but I see a wiring harness for the seat is available - does this mean that if I purchase the wiring harness, connect it to the correct location in the fuse box, and plug it in to the replacement seat (an original 5th gen legacy seat) that this would work?

Thanks!

You would need to compare the wiring harness from the seats all the way forward and find where the differences are. Usually the main harness is the same but somewhere along the line a connector has unused pins. And you would need from that place forward. Then add fuses and relays where needed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

So it's awesome the 15+ seats bolt in, but I'd want the airbags functional as well. Any idea if they can be wired in to work? If they plug in, why does the light stay on?

Edit: NVM I missed the post where the airbags do plug in, just have to trick the sensor into thinking someone is there. 

Edited by SockMonkey

• 1 year later...

I would appreciate a clarification, please. If I purchase seats out of a 2015 or 2016 STI or WRX, the front and rear seats will bolt right in. Am I understanding this correctly? Other than the airbag connection issue, are there any other issues I should be aware of?

Please pardon my ignorance, this thread didn’t answer much of my questions. I think the STI seats fit the 2012 Legacy GT, but I’m not sure if I read it correctly or not and before I make the investment I want to be sure.

I appreciate the help.

Edited by kattz
  • Like 1

Doing a little research - the airbag connectors on the 2015-2017 WRX/STI drawing below match the size and shape of the 2012 Legacy units.  I only have the 2012 USDM manual and it is different than previous years. See notes.

2015-2017WRX_STI-2012LEGACYAIRBAGCOMPARE.JPG.479ac909efc8656d579a467bf19c0d3c.JPG

Here are the seat power connections -

2015-2017WRX_STI-2012LEGACYDRIVERSSEARTPOWERCOMPARE.JPG.9668dc983bb59a918c2666be258d3f3e.JPG

2015-2017WRX_STI-2012LEGACYSEATHEATCOMPARE.JPG.3beaec6456287db16195b40ca06b53ee.JPG

If it's green, it should match.  If no comments, not connectors to worry about.

Occupancy detection requires a jumper harness.  Seeing about parts.  Might have to visit the local scrapyard.

I recall WRX guys on NASIOC would transfer the occupancy detection sensors from stock to replacement seats. However then you need to deal with hog rings etc to remove/reinstall the seat covers. 

Edited by NVAKeith

I'm working a fix to the STI/WRX seats that will install a 6" pigtail harness adapting the 2015-2017 seat occupancy detector to the Legacy.  It's fairly straightforward.  I will try it in my vehicle if I change the seats and then post the fix here if it works.

• Like 1