LegacyGT.com

Only 1st and 3rd gear

I'm alright at turning a wrench, but I don't know much at all about mixing and matching. I think pretty well any trans made for an EJ will bolt up to pretty much any EJ. Might be more/fewer bolts and dowels between a <200 HP EJ vs >200. But I doubt you could take your car and bolt an FA or an EZ in it.

I'm not sure what you mean with the brake band, but you should look around for my Vacation Pictures. A bunch of the pictures have been lost to dead links, but keep trying and you should find some nice shots.

That's pretty much the consensus I'm coming to. Pretty sure you're right about the FA/EZ. Haven't looked into that. Those might bolt up as well. I'll probably look into it sometime just for general knowledge.

The brake band is the deal that controls 2nd and 4th from what I've gathered and that's what broke on this wagon. It goes around a drum that's in the middle part of the trans by the looks of a diagram I did finally find. It's tightened and loosened by a nut/bolt looking deal on the right side of the trans looking at the front of the car. Pretty sure ours was too tight and that's why it broke. Was experiencing hard shifts from 1 to 2 before it broke. I'll try and post a picture of what km talking about.

Good note on the diff when I find a replacement. Knew about it but it's something I'd totally space out on.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yes, one of the bands. I didn't think you were going to go inside the new trans. If you are doing bands you are in far enough that you should replace the clutch frictions and all kinds of internal seals. That's rebuilding the trans.

A much easier task would be to take the pan off and check the calibration of the bands before going to the trouble of mounting it in the car. That would be +1 to doing the external seals before install.

Pretty sure you're right about the FA/EZ. Haven't looked into that. Those might bolt up as well. I'll probably look into it sometime just for general knowledge

EZ/EG transmissions, yes. They will bolt up, despite having more bolt holes than the EJ's.

FA/FB transmissions and motors, no! Their auto transmissions are all CVT and both the auto and manuals are completely different in every aspect. The bellhousing is completely different on the transmissions, and engines are not the same despite them being based closely on the EJ series engines.

Here is the back of an FA Block:

http://i.imgur.com/wvJOG1P.png

and an EJ block:

http://i.imgur.com/inZJNgs.png

And the front of the FA:

http://i.imgur.com/MVkkuzz.png

and the EJ

http://i.imgur.com/Bg7H5Ge.png

Notice there is only 7 bolt holes on the FA, vs 8 on the EJ. The spacing is also off and the FA is less rounded vs the EJ

EZ/EG transmissions, yes. They will bolt up, despite having more bolt holes than the EJ's.

FA/FB transmissions and motors, no! Their auto transmissions are all CVT and both the auto and manuals are completely different in every aspect. The bellhousing is completely different on the transmissions, and engines are not the same despite them being based closely on the EJ series engines.

Here is the back of an FA Block:

http://i.imgur.com/wvJOG1P.png

and an EJ block:

http://i.imgur.com/inZJNgs.png

And the front of the FA:

http://i.imgur.com/MVkkuzz.png

and the EJ

http://i.imgur.com/Bg7H5Ge.png

Notice there is only 7 bolt holes on the FA, vs 8 on the EJ. The spacing is also off and the FA is less rounded vs the EJ

Awesome info! Even though it's obviously not right. I just like to learn about these engjnes.

Oh yes, one of the bands. I didn't think you were going to go inside the new trans. If you are doing bands you are in far enough that you should replace the clutch frictions and all kinds of internal seals. That's rebuilding the trans.

A much easier task would be to take the pan off and check the calibration of the bands before going to the trouble of mounting it in the car. That would be +1 to doing the external seals before install.

I don't know if I'm ready to be that brave haha.

Well. As she sits tonight. All I need to do is heater connections. Torque converter bolts and one or two motor to trans bolt/nuts. I do however need to look up the connection from block to trans. Two nuts at bottom. Starter then one more?

I think besides the starter there are two nuts and two bolts, but I worked 12 hours construction today in 110 heat, so there might not even be a transmission at all.

To add to your delirium. I found the problem! There was no transmission and the car was moving by my mind power alone! Haha.

I feel for you on the job. I used to do attic insulation. Summers were brutal but that AZ heat is insane.

Thanks for the help.

And my regular job is actually driving. As a courier. But also in AC haha.

But. Update. I've pulled the motor and trans over the last two afternoons/evenings.

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o538/zachariahcrowell/20170620_225925_zpsbgubcdxj.jpg

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o538/zachariahcrowell/20170621_184126_zpsdiujfo66.jpg

And now I have a floating car. The force is strong with this one.

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o538/zachariahcrowell/20170621_184045_zps6rhrcze9.jpg

All in all not too bad. Definitely wish I would have had someone around to lend a hand to drop it. I've never dropped one so watching a 300+ pound while trying to balance it was a bit freaky.

Once it was all loose it was pretty straightforward thanks to some tips from you all.

I'll probably be renting or buying a trans jack to raise the new one in though. I think it will make a huge difference. I balanced this one with a jack and flat board then drug it out the front on the plywood.

Here's hoping I took enough pictures to get everything back up and running over the weekend assuming the transmission I found is still available on friday.

This is probably the route I'm going to take. Going the engine out way. Does that make it easier to align the trans and motor? As in. I'm going to take the engine out. Then the trans. Replace the trans. Then engine back in?

Seems like it might be easier than jacking the trans back up and trying to fit everything together from under the car.

Still contacting recyclers and checking craigslist for bad motor cars to hunt down a trans. Not really in any big hurry either way.

Side note.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2.5 short block/22 head builds? I have a short block from my xt just sitting in the garage and thought it might be a fun build.

Frankenmotor?

I was debating on that, but I am just going to get a custom grind cam from delta cam instead. Less work, plus can still run 87 haha

also, im a moron replying to page 1 lol.

Frankenmotor?

I was debating on that, but I am just going to get a custom grind cam from delta cam instead. Less work, plus can still run 87 haha

also, im a moron replying to page 1 lol.

Moron? OR? MORE RON!? But who's Ron and why do we need more of him?

So full of dad jokes today. Blarg.

You sir are no moron. That's sort of the frankenmotor I was talking about. But now I just want the car back together haha.

Moron? OR? MORE RON!? But who's Ron and why do we need more of him?

So full of dad jokes today. Blarg.

You sir are no moron. That's sort of the frankenmotor I was talking about. But now I just want the car back together haha.

hahaaaaaaa :lol:

What is your plan with the motor?

hahaaaaaaa :lol:

What is your plan with the motor?

Honestly. No idea anymore. The stock block and heads look really good still so she might just stay stock.

It's either staying stock or getting a low boost setup. I have almost all of the parts sitting in front of me to do this for cheap.

Most likely I'll notch the cross member so it's ready for an upipe either way.

This whole thing aside from the transmission replacement was going to just be an experiment.

We'll see how I feel with the transmission back in place haha.

Honestly. No idea anymore. The stock block and heads look really good still so she might just stay stock.

It's either staying stock or getting a low boost setup. I have almost all of the parts sitting in front of me to do this for cheap.

Most likely I'll notch the cross member so it's ready for an upipe either way.

This whole thing aside from the transmission replacement was going to just be an experiment.

We'll see how I feel with the transmission back in place haha.

I have heard about delta cam taking your cams and he has some regrind profiles. maybe look into that before you put the motor back in. Also, it probably needs VC gaskets anyway right? lol.

That is my plan when I swap my motor out. No boost though, I have other toys that need that kind of attention lol. I figured some more N/A oomph is always helpful and keeps the MPGs the same

I have heard about delta cam taking your cams and he has some regrind profiles. maybe look into that before you put the motor back in. Also, it probably needs VC gaskets anyway right? lol.

That is my plan when I swap my motor out. No boost though, I have other toys that need that kind of attention lol. I figured some more N/A oomph is always helpful and keeps the MPGs the same

I might look into it either way. Definitely have heard of the delta grinds. Vcs are actually good. But. It's out like ya said!

I might look into it either way. Definitely have heard of the delta grinds. Vcs are actually good. But. It's out like ya said!

Alright more questions.

To get to the brake band on this thing. I. Remove torque converter. Remove front diff. Then? Remove pinion? Do all the sections of the trans need to come apart? I have it out. Might as well learn something even if I don't end up using it right?

Do you have a 4EAT service manual? I wouldn't do more than take the pan off without it. It's not a Swiss watch in there, but it's a lot more complicated than a short block.

Unfortunately no. I'll be doing some searching for one tonight.

On the other hand an 01 legacy wagon with good trans bad headgaskets just popped up for a really good price.

Unfortunately no. I'll be doing some searching for one tonight.

On the other hand an 01 legacy wagon with good trans bad headgaskets just popped up for a really good price.

make sure its the same gear ratio lol

Archived