LegacyGT.com

My 2013 (bought in August 2012, and was one of the first off the line, in the 2%) was burning about .8 Qt every 1200 miles and just under the limit.

After owning a 91 Prelude for over 17 years and 200,000 miles, I was well accustomed to checking and adding oil every other week.

With my Subaru engine, everything ran great, but I was also worried about long-term ownership. The Prelude NEVER had a check engine light or engine issue in all those years and miles, but it was a simpler design.

So I got my short block replaced last summer, and I now have 0% consumption, and the engine runs great.

My advice for anyone with oil consumption:

Keep a logbook/notepad in the car and track your consumption. It's easy.

And check your oil level every 1000 miles or so. Add as needed.

I buy gallon jugs at Walmart for $22-26.

Say $5 qt, every few weeks is not the end of the world for me. The other positive side is that there is some upper cylinder lubrication, and it sounds like there are a bunch of people with high mileage engines with oil burning and no real issues.

Thanks for the info all. My wife is still deciding between the legacy and malibu, but I feel better with recommending the legacy. If she gets the malibu and has issues, that is fine, at least I won't have to hear about it, since I warned her.

Subaru isn't going to replace short block for 1 quart per 5000 mile of oil consumption. Cars these days are much more likely to burn oil due the pressure to improve fuel economy with low tension oil rings and lighter weight oils. All engines burn oil, it is just whether or not the oil level is measurable (contaminants from the combustion process are being adding to you oil as well)

never said they would, just posted their guidelines

Thanks for the info all. My wife is still deciding between the legacy and malibu, but I feel better with recommending the legacy. If she gets the malibu and has issues, that is fine, at least I won't have to hear about it, since I warned her.

Legacy and Malibu probably have an equal chance of burning oil.

That said, I would rather be in my Legacy than a Malibu when driving in any type of inclement weather, and in case I ever get in an accident.

Budget friendly, and has the safety of high end Mercedes/BMW/Tesla -- well, it won't drive around an accident like a Tesla, but eyesight comes close!

When my Legacy was in the shop a couple months ago, I had a brand new Impala as a rental. Other than gobs and gobs of big American V6 power to spin and oversteer the front wheels, the Legacy has much better road manners and was MUCH more enjoyable to drive, both around town and highway.

After 3 days and almost 400 miles with the Impala, I was happy to get my Legacy back!

When my Legacy was in the shop a couple months ago, I had a brand new Impala as a rental. Other than gobs and gobs of big American V6 power to spin and oversteer the front wheels, the Legacy has much better road manners and was MUCH more enjoyable to drive, both around town and highway.

After 3 days and almost 400 miles with the Impala, I was happy to get my Legacy back!

I was in a 2016 9th gen Limited Impala rental back in March and it drove like a tank. Very smooth on the straight but understeer and body roll was pretty bad. The only limited item on the car was the badge. Ugly looking and poorly equipped. The seats were comfy.

My wife is at the point of saying that she knows the legacy is the smart choice, but she is familiar with Chevy (only had 3 cars in 27 years of driving - baretta, malibu, saturn aura), and the malibu has allot more fun technology, like the auto park feature and unlocking the doors and remote start from a cell phone.

We will see once the 2018 is out with Apple car play to make a decision.

Thanks again for all the info.

Archived