LegacyGT.com

Which Blouch?

2005 Legacy GT 5EAT Wagon 100k

Replacing the blown vf40. Waiting for more time to check out the engine. I have the cobb ap and dp, catless uppipe, perrin filter. Im looking at 2 turbos, blouch dom 1.5xtr and the blouch 440xt. I drive a lot of highway and city ao I dont want to lose spool but want to make sire that if km investing that I dont create a future bottleneck.

Here is what Im looking to purchase. Am i headed in the right direction to be able to have a good reliable 300 awhp and 300+ awft/lbs?

Does the dom require the seperate hose for turbo to ic?

Screenshot_2017-05-23-21-22-48.thumb.png.8595ea94227dd6fecc2e5838621d2495.png

Screenshot_2017-05-23-21-47-16.thumb.png.68ffc07ff1df6098bd985fe5804b209a.png

you really cannot go wrong with a 1.5xtr. I've got a 440xt and I really wish it were ball bearing like 1.5xtr. ball bearing will help it spool earlier, and it has a slightly higher flow rate (49lb/min vs 44lb/min).

don't buy a china turbo if you care about your car.

The 5eat spools differently. So I can't be sure exactly how it will feel. But, the VF40 spools incredibly fast any of the turbos you listed spool a lot slower than it.

Generally I have seen people less happy with the 440xt and more happy with the DOM1.5xtr.

Generally what you will need:

TGV deletes

Fueling upgrade (pump + injectors)

Transmission upgrade (valvebody upgrade)

Turbo inlet - after market or new OEM (because why not, the OEM one will probably tear)

With an STI style turbo (DOM1.5) you will need the GS hose for STI style turbos (does not come with the GS TMIC for LGTs)

Don't get the GS AOS. It's a controversial item. If you feel the need for one. Look into the IAG or Crawford street versions.

You are moving beyond the realm of "safe and reliable" with this size turbo as well as easy fitment. Transmission bell housing may need to be ground away to make room for the turbo (or you can use spacers to raise the turbo up)

The x500 is made in michigan by boosted performance. Turn in concepts, a performance shop out west I think is now installing the x500 in all builds that they use to put the dom in. If I were to start over thats probably the direction I'd go.

The 5eat spools differently. So I can't be sure exactly how it will feel. But, the VF40 spools incredibly fast any of the turbos you listed spool a lot slower than it.

Generally I have seen people less happy with the 440xt and more happy with the DOM1.5xtr.

Generally what you will need:

TGV deletes

Fueling upgrade (pump + injectors)

Transmission upgrade (valvebody upgrade)

Turbo inlet - after market or new OEM (because why not, the OEM one will probably tear)

With an STI style turbo (DOM1.5) you will need the GS hose for STI style turbos (does not come with the GS TMIC for LGTs)

Don't get the GS AOS. It's a controversial item. If you feel the need for one. Look into the IAG or Crawford street versions.

You are moving beyond the realm of "safe and reliable" with this size turbo as well as easy fitment. Transmission bell housing may need to be ground away to make room for the turbo (or you can use spacers to raise the turbo up)

Even with a more conservative tune? Im not looking to push the turbo limits, yet. Within a year or so I will hopefully start upgrading the internals on both the tranny and engine. Dont want to buy a turbo now and later. At what whp,wht would I be stay in the realm of reality?

Psss your EFR setup is better

Ive had the car for 5 months and put in countless hours/days on here but Im not familiar with the acronym. Google said "engineeted for racing" and Im not a 100% positive on how that applies here. Can you give more info? Thanks!

Do you live in the same state as Blouch? They don't 'do' email, so any problems have to be handled by phone. My XTR only went a year before needing a new core and they couldn't be bothered to answer mail asking the price.

EFR is series of turbos from Borg Warner.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

you really cannot go wrong with a 1.5xtr. I've got a 440xt and I really wish it were ball bearing like 1.5xtr. ball bearing will help it spool earlier, and it has a slightly higher flow rate (49lb/min vs 44lb/min).

don't buy a china turbo if you care about your car.

Common misconception here, ball bearing actually doesn't spool any sooner in the RPM band. If anything, initial spool up is a little behind that of a journal bearing turbo. Where a ball bearing turbo shines is transient response. They are lightning quick between shifts.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

You're only considering cold-side flow. Remember the 440XT is TD05H-based. The XTR uses a cut-down version of a GT30R turbine... big difference.

In any case. 300/300 is all you want to do on the stock block, and you can get there with 16G, 380XT, VF-52...

Try reading this: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turboi-wiki-twist-178684.html

And don't buy that bloody awful GS AOS thing until you want all your oil in your intake after a long hard corner.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I'm in a similar situation with my specb. However, I was leaning towards the Blouch 380xt. I was told it spools like a 16g but holds like an 18g. I'm interested in reliable 300ish hp, but more focused on quick spool, good torque numbers and potentially E85 down the road. Most importantly not pushing the realm of "safe and reliable".

I'll be running a Stage 3 VF52 from Socal Porting soon, I'll share results once is done. Then again you are in a bind needing a new turbo now. It will be a few months before I have any results the engine is getting rebuilt and a bunch of stuff getting installed.

VF52 is mostly what you are looking for. Haven't seen that many great results from the 380xt on these boards.

I actually haven't found much on the Blouch 380xt... I have seen mixed reports on the AVO 380 though. Do you have any reports specific to the Blouch 380? My tuner recommended over the vf52 and I was looking for a little more punch than a vf52, with the reliability of the Blouch.

You're only considering cold-side flow. Remember the 440XT is TD05H-based. The XTR uses a cut-down version of a GT30R turbine... big difference.

are you sure about this? they seem to offer 8cm and 10cm hotsides for both the 440xt and 1.5xtr. I'm running the 10cm hotside on a 440xt and I can't imagine it's a different cast for the 1.5xtr, seeing as it is a in-house cast.

are you sure about this? they seem to offer 8cm and 10cm hotsides for both the 440xt and 1.5xtr. I'm running the 10cm hotside on a 440xt and I can't imagine it's a different cast for the 1.5xtr, seeing as it is a in-house cast.

The XTR is based on a Garrett GT30R core 700177-5004S. The housing is bolted to the cartridge in normal Garrett fashion. The 380/440XT are TD05H-based and the housings mounted by circlip in usual MHI style. It is possible the same casting can be machined into either style. But, I was not referring to the housings and was referring to turbine flow.

Even Blouch lists the turbine dimensions on his site. The 30R turbine flows much more gas vs. the TD05.

Archived