LegacyGT.com

I hate body clips.

I recently replaced my fog lights which meant that I had to pop out some body clips to get through the plastic shroud covering them under my car. I was surprised to find that I was actually missing part of my plastic cover under the car that covers the oil filter. That one appears to have been held into place by bolts so I doubt I so much "lost" it as when I took my car in for it's last oil change the guy "forgot to put it back on" or more likely purposefully left it off. *sigh*

I also found that I was missing a bunch of body clips. I bet I know why... they are a bitch to put back on! Man, when I started putting everything back together there were a couple of the clips I couldn't get back in very well. They are the ones that actually attach to the metal part of the lower frame of the car. I actually tried taking the circular washer looking peice off and inserting it first. Then when I tried to drive the pin part into the middle it broke some of the center pieces off. It stayed in though so I think it is good for now.

I need to actually replace these though as I don't want them to wear through the remaining clips and then I'll have a plastic shroud bouncing loose under my car. I'm sure I can pick some up from the dealership but I wonder if anyone has found anything better to use in their place. I mean, if they go in easier when they are new then I guess it is a non-issue. But assuming I may have to remove them again in the future I'd rather not have to just replace the body clips every time I remove them.

Does anyone have experience with viable alternatives?

Also, I have to replace my headlights and am planning on doing that tonight. There are similar (maybe nearly the same?) clips under the hood that I have to remove as well. These hold down the air intake and buckle down the wiper fluid neck and probably other things that I haven't yet seen. Are these actually the same clips? If they are different are they equally a pain in the ass? Do viable alternatives exist?

You can buy them from the dealer, from ebay, your local AutoZone, etc. I believe I've seen the same clips on Toyotas as well (I'd imagine most Japanese car makes use these).

Generally you can re-use them no problem until they get real grimy and you break them on removing them. On my car (10+ years old now), I've probably only broken 3-5 of them around the car. All of the rest are still original, and are easy enough to remove and replace.

You don't want to remove the center pin when replacing them, just make sure it's lifted when re-inserting them.

I can't think of any alternatives that would be useful... Most of the places these are used, it would be damn-near impossible to put a nut/bolt combo in, and I can't think of anything else that's as easily reusable (without being broken) as this style of clip.

Alright, I did some looking around. So the ones under my car are a push style body clip. Those are annoying because they break easy when trying to reinsert them. The problem is that the clippy bits tend to warp and mushroom out after having been in for a long time. So when you try to replace them they fit through the outside hole with a bit of effort but getting them through the inside hole of whatever you are clipping it to can be a bear.

The ones I have under my hood look to have a phillips head on top of them and I think look at a lot more like this:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DAG0/455961BP/N0272.oap?ck=Search_N0272_1432596_5505&pt=N0272&ppt=C0329

These look far more reusable. The little clippy bits go into place and don't have splines like what I have under my car. They are smooth on the outsides. I don't think I'll have a problem getting those back into place or with breaking them. It won't be a "force it into the hole" type of affair that ends with broken pieces.

I have a friend with a 3d printer. I might see if I can find a 3d file for something like this on the interwebs.

GTEASER: Ah, that is perfect. Thank you. If I end up having to order online that looks like a great site. Pft... $3 per clip. That page has them for under $10 for 25. Thats less than 1/7th the price.

Alright, I did some looking around. So the ones under my car are a push style body clip. Those are annoying because they break easy when trying to reinsert them. The problem is that the clippy bits tend to warp and mushroom out after having been in for a long time. So when you try to replace them they fit through the outside hole with a bit of effort but getting them through the inside hole of whatever you are clipping it to can be a bear.

The ones I have under my hood look to have a phillips head on top of them and I think look at a lot more like this:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DAG0/455961BP/N0272.oap?ck=Search_N0272_1432596_5505&pt=N0272&ppt=C0329

These look far more reusable. The little clippy bits go into place and don't have splines like what I have under my car. They are smooth on the outsides. I don't think I'll have a problem getting those back into place or with breaking them. It won't be a "force it into the hole" type of affair that ends with broken pieces.

I have a friend with a 3d printer. I might see if I can find a 3d file for something like this on the interwebs.

I was referring to the push-style clips. As long as you're careful with them, they are perfectly reusable. Eventually they'll seize enough (especially with the heavy road salt from the NE winters where I am) that they might break on removal, but once they're out, you can pull the center-pin and re-compress the split portion to help them fit into their respective hole better.

Search for plastic clips om google.

I just got a box full of plastic clips, like 200 or something for $21.00 or so on Amazon. It even came with a metal tool to pull the clips.

Also NAPA and other auto parts stores will have them too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

GTEASER: Ah, that is perfect. Thank you. If I end up having to order online that looks like a great site. Pft... $3 per clip. That page has them for under $10 for 25. Thats less than 1/7th the price.

I keep a box of almost every size in the garage. ;)

Archived