LegacyGT.com

Resistance in Drivetrain

I left my Legacy in the garage over the winter for the first time since I have owned it (3 years). When I went to pull it out I felt a lot of resistance like something wasn't right. I thought it might have been the hand brake because I left it engaged for a month before chalking the tires. I needed new pads and rotors anyway so I replaced them and the new rotors went on fine so I am pretty sure its not the hand brake. when I turn the wheels with the car on stands it is very difficult to turn them. I am not sure what is sticking or a little seized up. Was thinking about change the diff fluid. Looking for any ideas.

I thinking the front brake pads are rusted to the rotor's, it should be fine once the car rolls a bit.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the replies, I just replaced all rotors and pads so I don't think its the brakes. I didn't put the car on jack stands while it sat over the winter, it was on the ground with wheels on. I can look into the power steering lines but I am really stumped on this one. In neutral on the ground the car is really hard to roll unlike it usually is, I can still drive it I just feel like getting it to go in 1st or reverse needs more throttle for some reason. I have only driven it about a mile and a half so far this year, I don't know if I should just try to put some miles on it or what.

If the car was stored on stands ( not sure from OP if it was or not) that wreaks havoc on suspension and steering parts.

:spin::lol:

You shouldn't believe everything you read on internet forums.

Add 10 pounds of pressure to the tires to avoid deflation. Or remove them altogether and put your vehicle on blocks.

https://www.statefarm.com/simple-insights/auto-and-vehicles/preparing-for-longterm-car-storage

I don't think an insurance company is going to tell you to put your car on blocks if it's going to damage the components.

:spin::lol:

You shouldn't believe everything you read on internet forums.

I don't think an insurance company is going to tell you to put your car on blocks if it's going to damage the components.

I don't trust an insurance company to know squat about the effects of having a car on stands for a long duration. From my experience I had some suspension issues from hanging at full extension for several months in my '99 Outback and had to replace the struts.

I don't trust an insurance company to know squat about the effects of having a car on stands for a long duration. From my experience I had some suspension issues from hanging at full extension for several months in my '99 Outback and had to replace the struts.

That's what I meant by stored on stands, with suspension hanging. The over-inflating tires thing was for bias-ply tires from the 60's

Back on topic for the original poster. Have you tried troubleshooting by eliminating one component at a time? Put the car back on stands and rotate each wheel in neutral, do you hear any rubbing or grinding? If so, pull the brake pads off one wheel, any difference? The AWD drivetrain will have some resistance in it, I can rotate my wheels, but they don't spin freely or anything like that.

Was the garage heated over the winter?

How long since you changed the tranny/dif fluid?

Is it manual or automatic?

Is it just the rear wheels or front as well?

Check your axles. You could have extended them far enough that the inside joints could be bound up in the plunge joints. Take a small hammer and tap them on the sides while turning the wheels and see if it loosens up.

Have you checked that your ebrake isn't stuck or rubbing? Put the car on Jack stands, put car in neutral and release the ebrake and try spinning the wheels with your hands the front wheels should spin easier because of the open diff the opposing wheel should go opposite. The rears will move in the same direction but opposing wheel will be slower than the wheel you are moving. If anything is giving more resistance than the others, something is stuck like a brake, a caliper, an e brake shoe or even a wheel bearing. Basically same as what infosecdad is saying

Archived