LegacyGT.com

I'm curious how my turbo went out, I kinda need some closure. Anyone wanna try to hel

So my car hit just about 120k miles. And I won't lie I push the car time to time. At 117k miles I took off my dp to check my shaft play and I had absolutely none. No side to side nor front and back. Right after I hit 120k I was on the freeway on my way to a car show and I was doing 80mph cruise control. I turned off cruise cause I was exiting and I tried to downshift (MT) and my RPMs just didn't want to climb. I very slowly drove a mile down the road to the car show and I parked. I popped the hood, oil everywhere. I had my friend get in and rev and my BOV was just spewing out oil, not even mist. Also the turbo made a click-clacking noise. I got it towed to my dads shop and threw it up on the lift and started taking everything apart. I take out the turbo and the exhaust and intake are just filled with oil. Now the exhaust turbine moved back and forth like an inch but not really side to side. The intake, shaft play for dayyyys. Side to side, up down, even the nut that holds the turbine was loose, on the last thread. So anyone know what could've happened? And how did this not get super catastrophic???

Make sure you replace the oil return hose too, its old and hard by now.

If you need parts PM m sprank or go to his web site, www.infamousperformance.net, he's close to you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When I replaced the turbo, I changed every rubber hose that connects to the turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do know that small hose with the white line on it from the compressor housing has a boost pill in it, right ?

See the second picture, (restrictor pill),

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2005-2006-lgt-colored-vacuum-routing-diagram-143225.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Oh I used the one that came on the turbo already. It was attached to it so I used that. I just googled it and found out what you are talking about. Thanks. Good to know

Is that the right link? Lmao it goes to a STI short shifter thread

Yes, its the link to the sticky about vacuum hoses at the top of this forum, it works for me, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2005-2006-lgt-colored-vacuum-routing-diagram-143225.html

Are you all set now ?

*knock on wood* it's been 2k Miles with a used turbo and so far so good. I kind of have a dirty air filter (will change soon), and the car kind of hiccups I guess when accelerating sometimes and I'm wondering if it's from that

These cars have a stumble from 2400-2900 rpm. It's very slight but the driver can feel it.

Is that what your talking about ?

Read around the threads there are way's to make it better.

A tuner can fix 99.9% of it. My wagon doesn't have the issue.

My 09, I have moved the vacuum hose from #4 intake runner and T'd it into the small hose off the blow off valve. Reset the ECU. That help a little. There is a thread about a longer fuel feed hose and the STi fuel regulator, or even putting a in line fuel filter in.

I'll take a stab at an idea for why it went out.

I like to equate the turbo in our car to a Schrodinger's cat scenario. If you don't look in the box is the turbo 1) dead 2) alive 3) both?

For example(stolen from the web and modified below):

A turbo is locked up in a Subaru Legacy, along with the following device (which must be secured against direct interference by the turbo): in a banjo filter, there is a tiny bit of dirt, so small, that perhaps in the course of 117k miles it stays in the filter, but also, with equal probability, perhaps none; if it dislodges, the dirt goes into the turbo and causes catastrophic failure. If one has left this entire system to itself for 117k miles, one would say that the turbo still lives if meanwhile no dirt has dislodged. The psi-function of the entire system would express this by having in it the living and dead turbo (pardon the expression) mixed or smeared out in equal parts.

The question is, did opening the turbo cause the failure or had the turbo begun to fail before opening it?

One may never know... :spin:

I'll take a stab at an idea for why it went out.

I like to equate the turbo in our car to a Schrodinger's cat scenario. If you don't look in the box is the turbo 1) dead 2) alive 3) both?

And this is why I went with a Big 16G and am running it at stock boost levels. VF turbos don't seem to be engineered for long term reliability like Garrett or Mitsu style turbos are.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived