LegacyGT.com

Not The Puppy !!!!!!

Good to see , I've certainly had my doubts . Faith is a nebulous thing , especially when your life is on the line .

I think Subaru should supply each dealer with a blow up object and they should

make a 'crash' demo part of the sales/delivery process .

Regards

George

I think Subaru should supply each dealer with a blow up object and they should

make a 'crash' demo part of the sales/delivery process .

This is genius. It's something that Saturn would have done if the technology had been around then. Instead they had us salesmen bang our fist on the car's side panels as hard as we could to demonstrate the dent proof panels.

I think Subaru should supply each dealer with a blow up object and they should make a 'crash' demo part of the sales/delivery process .

Not a good idea, IMO. We already have enough Subaru owners who think that EyeSight will take over and drive the car for them.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Not a good idea, IMO. We already have enough Subaru owners who think that EyeSight will take over and drive the car for them.

It essentially does though? Took a 4 hour drive up to granite peak in wausau wisconsin and only used the steering wheel. Never touched a pedal on the highway aside from the on and off ramp

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

so... who wants to be the equivalent of AF flight 447 in their Subaru? :p relying on the tech too much = stuff can go wrong in a hurry...the crash that did not need to happen...

edit: I love the tech myself but I never rely on it to save my bacon... I drive defensively...

so... who wants to be the equivalent of AF flight 447 in their Subaru?

Bad analogy. Actually, if you've read the full accident report on Air France flight 447 (I have) you already know that it was caused by the inexperienced first officer overriding the autopilot, manually pulling the airplane up into a deep stall, and manually holding it there all the way to the water. If he had done nothing and allowed the automated flight management system to do its thing the accident would have been avoided. (Of course, hindsight is always 20/20.)

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

there was a wee bit more to it than that. neither the captain or the other pilot understood what was happening because unlike a Boeing jet where you can visibly see where the control stick (aka yoke) is, there is very little movement in the airbus side stick so no one else knew if he was pulling back. The ultimate fault was heavy reliance on the technology resulting in the pilots inability to follow rule #1 FLY THE PLANE.

the automated system could not recover due to bad airspeed indication and it had already disengaged the auto pilot. The proper response was to set throttle to about 87% and flight slightly nose up at about 12-13 degrees to maintain level flight.

When you hear STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! STALL! TERRAIN, PULL UP! STALL! TERRAIN, PULL UP! STALL! TERRAIN, PULL UP! STALL! TERRAIN, PULL UP! STALL! TERRAIN, PULL UP! STALL! TERRAIN, PULL UP! STALL! TERRAIN, PULL UP! STALL! STALL! TERRAIN, PULL UP! STALL! TERRAIN, PULL UP! STALL! TERRAIN, PULL UP! STALL! that many times that is a GIANT CLUE

there was a wee bit more to it than that.

I will agree with that part; there's almost always "a wee bit more." Here's a link to the best non-official summary I've yet read, written by a professional pilot and far more readable than the official, voluminous French accident investigation report ... highly recommended for those who'd like to understand the event: http://www.vanityfair.com/news/business/2014/10/air-france-flight-447-crash

Some of the human-factors issues are relevant to us and our Subarus: Does the availability of automated safety systems make us more complacent, less attentive, and less skilled drivers? From the cited article:

"It seems that we are locked into a spiral in which poor human performance begets automation, which worsens human performance, which begets increasing automation."

spacer.png

Ignoring the effects on human performance, EyeSight was found to significantly reduce accidents in a study done in Japan.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/02/subarus-eyesight-tech-said-to-reduce.html?m=1

I did my final report for English class on autonomous vehicle implementation, one of the interesting things I came across in doing research is that while deaths resulting from human error will be significantly decreased, some new deaths will occur resulting from technology failure. While the net reduction in loss of life will be undeniable, it has to be determined if society is willing to accept the exceptionally small but newly added risk of technology failure in their vehicles. We humans tend to be control freaks so though the risk is smaller, some won't be too keen on that risk being out of their hands.

I say this in context of the point about people relying on EyeSight and similar driver assist technologies and potentially causing accidents because of that reliance. While there may be cases like this, there will be more accidents reduced than caused by the technology.

it isn't really a question of will it be, but when:

When will self-driving cars become the norm?

There will be some rocky terrain to cross while this technology becomes implemented, but I would expect insurance rates will start to climb for cars without crash prevention technology, then cars that have human operators...

Likely urban areas will go first, drivers will pay through the teeth to keep operating a motor vehicle when most other cars on the road are self-driven.

BTW the State of NY just approved the testing of self-driving cars in NY:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2017/04/05/self-driving-car-tests-new-yrok/100077524/

I would expect Eyesight to start "seeing" traffic signals/signs soon...

Archived