LegacyGT.com

2006 Spec B review

Hi Myles. I hate you :p. End of story. Really interested about the whole brake thing too. Plus I'd love to see the car lowered on stock wheels (you're going to do that before you slap on the REs, right?)

Also, noticed the car has no spoiler. Looks awesome!!

-ben

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im not sure about the brake thing... But when I scrubbed down my rotors after my coilover install I was like WOAH this thing bites a bit harder than it used to. Dont worry it will go away soon. Unless they actually changed somthing.

Good luck with the car - I love the exterior - drive it on good health!.

Well, the $64,000 question is :

DOES IT STUTTER???

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Well after spending 6 days in this car I prefer to drive this instead of my 320whp STi !! I called my buddy with a new BMW 545 and he wrode with me and said,..

"...This is as close as any Japanese company will come to the BMW feel and handling.."

At that moment I knew I wasnt alone in my findings. So today I started thinking about how much power could I get from a Spec-B. As in trade my STi and get a Spec-B for myself. I pictured how crazy we would look with 2 identical cars in the drive way. I started thinking of how a 6 speed would impact the overall "feel" of the car. I started thinking if I worked in SOA's marketing department I would make the Bistein an option package with the 4 pots from the 06 WRX and a reworked ECU with a 275 hp #.

Myles

www.GTWORX.com

Well after watching Desperate Housewives tonight, the wife decided she wants to keep the stock wheels. WHich I was kinda already thinking, as they are nice. I think lowered they will look alot better. I may get some 235/40-18 PS2 Michelins or Neova's. Maybe a 225/40-18.

So the RE plan is AX-ED for now. ( at almost 700 each, there is no love lost of that plan either..lol)

Myles

So if you live in Socal , or any place where the roads are smooth, this suspension wont impress you like the people in Detroit, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC..etc. I say this because it wasnt until I sought out really bad roads and found more than what I was looking for in some cases. The car really soaks up the serious bumps and tells you about the minor things.

Better put. The Bilstiens remind me of MOM. Kinda candy coates things when its really bad, where as some suspensions tell it to ya' like DAD. BLAM, "you are screwed son.." and this is gonna hurt. I gues it depends on how you grew up right? My mom was the good cop and my dad was the bad cop. Together, they were good cap bad cop. This suspension has a way of doing this and it works together better than most parents. ( forgive me if you dont like the analogy)

( keep in mid we dont well this suspension , so this isnt some fake marketing ploy, I am just this impressed that I figured I would share with the community that I honestly dont get to contribute to as much as I used to and want to. )

There is a section of road in Maryland when you are coming off of RT 295 south getting onto RT 100 west where there are these " drop downs" I call them. This is where the road drops down long 2 inch drop steps, each 15 ft long, then they go back up. So imagine you are in a loooooong sweeper. The type that you can easily drive thru at 80 with the wife yelling at you, and she wont get any madder because she thinks you are having fun driving fast. That type of sweeper. So as I take this at 90, the outside of the car has the "drop downs" and the inside is bumpy, as in up and down. Very unsettling for say a Tein S tech clad STi or a slammed anything. So with this type of 7 post shake rig like cornering going on, I admit I thought of lifiting for a second then I figured ,.." do your thing baby"...:) .

The inside front wheel staying in perfect communication with the steering wheel as the outside absorbed the "drop downs". All while I listened to the french chic tell me where I was going from the NAV :lol: .Ahhh yes her voice stayed so calm !!

Friday night. While heading to UPS in Laurel to do late drop offs. Conditions wet. Lite mist, The tires have far more grip in the rain than their drive performance would ever let on to, so I was impressed. Something should be said for that, as its one thing to suck in the dry like the RE92's did, AND suck in the rain. The 050's at least do one thing good, and when it counts too.

Is it me , or does this car sit higher( not just the 18s) than the GT or LTD sit?..IF so , then I am not too concerned with loosing any suspension travel from the Pinks or Swifts. I do think we are going to try BOTH on this car. I deserves that much.

Oh, and I think a B4 front bumper, M5 style rear deck spoiler and V-limited would just set this thing OFF. I mean its a sexy car. My STi is getting jealous, I can feel it.

Myles

www.GTWORX.com

Well after watching Desperate Housewives tonight, the wife decided she wants to keep the stock wheels. WHich I was kinda already thinking, as they are nice. I think lowered they will look alot better. I may get some 235/40-18 PS2 Michelins or Neova's. Maybe a 225/40-18.

So the RE plan is AX-ED for now. ( at almost 700 each, there is no love lost of that plan either..lol)

Myles

i believe the stock rims are only 7" wide which severely limits tire options. not many 225/40-18 will work on a 7" rim, but looks like neovas will work. i don't think any 235s will work.

I couldnt of said it any better than that... I got my spec b the day after it came out, I've already put the Prodrive mufflers, K&N typhoon intake and the Volks LE28(gloss black) are already on the way.

CHeers

Henry

tHe HoV

Myles, as always a great writeup. I been loving every single one you wrote on nabisco/i-club, and now that I got an LGT i can read them here.

quick question, since I am new to the LGT, what would it take to convert an 05 AT LGT Wagon to spec B? is it just shocks? (and of course the mp3 in the head unit :icon_lol: )

Myles, I won't say they grip like an S-03 PP, but give them a few miles - they need to scrub in. When we drove the cars at the launch, they admitted circa 300kms (try 500+ ;) ) of wearing in was done.

You've already noted the 050's wet performance - rather impressive IMHO. THose are also the tyres that the JDM A rev spec B was wearing when it wiped the S6 on Tsukuba Circuit. Not a bad tire me thinks :)

Plus your commeents about the brakes sound more like the middle pedal we are used to over here - wonder what the difference is/was??

• 2 weeks later...

Myles,

Can you check to see whether your Spec B uses the JDM front top hats or the USDM ones. I need to buy a set, and I'd rather buy through a US dealer and burn some Suby Bucks.

Thanks,

SC GT

[Here's a pic from nicd showing the difference. The main difference you will be able to detect is that the JDM's are flatter.]

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1254&d=1092952658

Myles,

Can you check to see whether your Spec B uses the JDM front top hats or the USDM ones. I need to buy a set, and I'd rather buy through a US dealer and burn some Suby Bucks.

Thanks,

SC GT

[Here's a pic from nicd showing the difference. The main difference you will be able to detect is that the JDM's are flatter.]

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1254&d=1092952658

The USDN part # is 20320AG000

mw

Myles, I won't say they grip like an S-03 PP, but give them a few miles - they need to scrub in. When we drove the cars at the launch, they admitted circa 300kms (try 500+ ;) ) of wearing in was done.

You've already noted the 050's wet performance - rather impressive IMHO. THose are also the tyres that the JDM A rev spec B was wearing when it wiped the S6 on Tsukuba Circuit. Not a bad tire me thinks :)

Plus your commeents about the brakes sound more like the middle pedal we are used to over here - wonder what the difference is/was??

Paul I was at Sema when you responded to this. Yes the brakes are really good, but most seems to be the pedal height. I added some Endless pads and it just got better. Did some 120 to 10 stops and WOW !! Will add lines and fluid soon. Installed the Cobb Access Port and its a new car. Pinks are going in shortly.

Myles

Myles, as always a great writeup. I been loving every single one you wrote on nabisco/i-club, and now that I got an LGT i can read them here.

quick question, since I am new to the LGT, what would it take to convert an 05 AT LGT Wagon to spec B? is it just shocks? (and of course the mp3 in the head unit :icon_lol: )

I put together the part # of the things they changed and its over 4k in suspension parts. So its well worth the money. I think this car would really benefit from super lite weight wheels.

The alloy arms and the Bilsteins, just make the package really good. I have pushed it to extremes and its so refined in its reactions.

We are talking to some local dealers to do some basics to help sell and promote the car. This car should be demostrated on the worst roads with a good driver, to really help people underatand the changes.

As for my post, thanks. Sometimes I go "out there" I am told, so lately I try to keep it "within the boundaries" ...lol.

Myles

Archived