LegacyGT.com

Chasing power....next step?

2008 subaru legacy GT limited.

So currently....these are the mods I have. Upgraded vf52 turbo, top mount grimspeed intercooler, catless invidia downpipe, Perrin cat back exhaust , spt intake , forged block/internals (Manly pistons and rods, ARP headstuds), gates racing timing belt, new clutch, valves , gaskets , lines, tgv deletes , v3 access port, new cv axles from Subaru, and a killer B oil pan. It currently dynos at 301.5 WHP and 310 WTQ The engine work was all done 5k miles ago. Was done and tuned (performance tune) by PRE (Performance racing engineering) in Portland, OR.

So...to reach my goal of 400-450 range, what step should I take next in your opinion? In my mind I was thinking an sti drivetrain swap? Carries a hefty penny...but I don't believe my 5 speed is rated past 350 whp. Anyways, input always gives me something to think about :)

Why do you have a goal of 400-450 whp on a street car? What kind of racing do you participate in where you can use 450 whp? Do you have experience driving cars with 450 whp so you know what to expect?

Going from 302 whp to 450 is going to be crazy expensive in terms of $$$, broken parts, and time.

It sounds like your car is running great at 302 whp. IMHO you should stop there and enjoy having a powerful and reliable street car.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

forged block/internals (Manly pistons and rods, ARP headstuds)

So...to reach my goal of 400-450 range, what step should I take next in your opinion? In my mind I was thinking an sti drivetrain swap? Carries a hefty penny...but I don't believe my 5 speed is rated past 350 whp. Anyways, input always gives me something to think about :)

Since you have a forged block, there's no reason not to push the envelope, at least a little. A 20g+, like a Dominator 1.5XTR, or FP Green HTZ, would get you there on E85. Might need to go rotated to get there on pump with decent streetability.

You'll definitely need to upgrade the fuel system at the very least, and consider drivetrain upgrades like blast plates and/or upgraded gears if you're keeping your 5MT, or a 6MT swap with an appropriate clutch.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

So...to reach my goal of 400-450 range, what step should I take next in your opinion?

Why do you have a goal of 400-450 whp on a street car? What kind of racing do you participate in where you can use 450 whp?

Got smoked by a GT-R and on a warpath.

Because I enjoy driving a car with that range or horsepower be it on my way to work, playing around, at the track, or racing friends at the strip, and it's my goal $$ aside. Everybody has a goal they desire, and not everybodies is the same. I asked for some input from the forums to reach my goal, not be questioned on why it's what I want :) Also, yes I've driven 400-450hp cars. One a 07 Hawkeye and the other a 13 sti hatch. Which is why is enjoy being in that range. Its not a build im taking up this weekend because I still owe on the car and I'm not into building a car unless I own it outright. Just looking at my options for when I'm ready to take that step to make more power

Got smoked by a GT-R and on a warpath.

No...but I did get smoked by a 2017 M6 a few weeks ago....still my favorite race I've had. Loved watching that thing go! Funny what 4 more cylinders and an extra turbo will do for ya :lol:

Since you have a forged block, there's no reason not to push the envelope, at least a little. A 20g+, like a Dominator 1.5XTR, or FP Green HTZ, would get you there on E85. Might need to go rotated to get there on pump with decent streetability.

You'll definitely need to upgrade the fuel system at the very least, and consider drivetrain upgrades like blast plates and/or upgraded gears if you're keeping your 5MT, or a 6MT swap with an appropriate clutch.

Yeah the idea I had was to get the drivetrain guts from an sti. Costs around 4 grand for all the components....but hey, better than spending 4 grand on drugs and booze :lol:

A 20g will not get you to 400hp without piss pounding the crap out of it. You will want a 60-1/25g/etc sized turbo.

1st step is to ditch the SPT intake. Go with a larger MAF intake setup, there are a few options. It may even help the car currently.

Silicone inlet?

Stock fueling?

Your going to want a twinscroll setup to maintain a reasonable spool point with the monster turbo that's required...

A 20g will not get you to 400hp without piss pounding the crap out of it. You will want a 60-1/25g/etc sized turbo.

1st step is to ditch the SPT intake. Go with a larger MAF intake setup, there are a few options. It may even help the car currently.

Silicone inlet?

Stock fueling?

Your going to want a twinscroll setup to maintain a reasonable spool point with the monster turbo that's required...

Silicone. Fueling is stock currently. Fuel system is a guarantee when I do the upgrade. I considered a EL header for the twinscroll even now, however decided against it for...."rumble"....reasons...:) but once I go for more power it's more of a possibility. And 25g is what I was planning. 20g would more reasonable fit more around 375ish? Which maybe if I even hit that point may be satisfying for me.

Watch out for the Gates Timing built kit since they're known to fail prematurely. I can't remember which part fails though and I don't know which parts to inspect. Just know everyone warns against it or else posts about how it failed after 20k miles. Good luck with your build.

Btw, For all the money you're putting into this car, have you considered just getting a used GT-R or something like that? If I had that kind of money I'd probably be looking at next level platforms.

I totally get the Need for Speed.

Are you planning on going E85?

Silicone inlet?

Stock fueling?

You're forgetting the wonder of E85. A 20g will make 400 to the wheels all day on ethanol. For a 1.5XTR or Green it'd be a breeze. No need to go TS, but it would be nice, of course. Gets pricey though, along with drivetrain, fuel, etc.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Doing my best to avoid E85 for..."convenience" sakes. As much as I would love to switch to E85 and get that lovely HP bump...the closest fill up where I live is about an hour drive away unfortunately so I don't feel like running that route

Watch out for the Gates Timing built kit since they're known to fail prematurely. I can't remember which part fails though and I don't know which parts to inspect. Just know everyone warns against it or else posts about how it failed after 20k miles. Good luck with your build.

Btw, For all the money you're putting into this car, have you considered just getting a used GT-R or something like that? If I had that kind of money I'd probably be looking at next level platforms.

While a GT-R would be lovely, I'm more into building up something that's not known to be as quick. But, while also still being a clean looking car. Kind of the reason I chose the legacy. Also, this build will be a couple year process when I start probably. I don't have a lot of money laying around 😅

While a GT-R would be lovely, I'm more into building up something that's not known to be as quick. But, while also still being a clean looking car. Kind of the reason I chose the legacy. Also, this build will be a couple year process when I start probably. I don't have a lot of money laying around 😅

I can respect that! :)

DustinEgle you should make an appointment with PRE to talk about this. I'm betting they will tell you that you have to go E85, or Torco Accelerator, Boostane, or Race Gas. If they think they can tune you 450WHP on pump premium gas, then follow their recommendations to the letter to get there.

And for a second opinion go by Surgeline and ask them. They tune my race cars so I'm pretty confidant they will tell you no way on pump gas. Consulting with them is free and it's always good to see what's going on there anyway, it will be more than worth the trip.

DustinEgle you should make an appointment with PRE to talk about this. I'm betting they will tell you that you have to go E85, or Torco Accelerator, Boostane, or Race Gas. If they think they can tune you 450WHP on pump premium gas, then follow their recommendations to the letter to get there.

And for a second opinion go by Surgeline and ask them. They tune my race cars so I'm pretty confidant they will tell you no way on pump gas. Consulting with them is free and it's always good to see what's going on there anyway, it will be more than worth the trip.

Appreciate the input! My brother lives down there in Bend so I'll pry make some stops on my vacation this summer while I'm there. While 400-450 would be my adequate range, I'm sure 375 range would bring me just as much joy in this car with what it has done to it. Time will tell as with most things :rolleyes:

I'm in a similar boat of wanting to get into that power range without e85. Seems to be a bit of a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely a road that'll not let you get your money back that's for sure!

Archived