LegacyGT.com

Scratches on hvac display

Good morning,

I haven't found any thread about this, so i'm creating a new one. Sorry if it's a mistake.

Have you noticed that you can easily scratch the glossy heather-A/C screen display (where there is the clock, outside temp, and hvac control displayed).

When I took delivery of my brand new 6th gen legacy, I've noticed some light scratches on the hvac display, probably from cleaning up the dash with a rag or something from the delivery inspection. Not serious enough to talk about it on this forum or to the dealer.

This week, I had the car serviced for a few things, and they gave me the car back with some new scratches on that display, and those new scratches are way more serious. I gave it a try: it can be scratched with light pressure using my finger nail. I am the only one? Why would a car maker would use such a soft material, this is not going to age well.

hvac.thumb.jpg.7a53ba5c083a06b027c50443f6b777bc.jpg

Yes, I noticed the same thing. Shortly after purchasing, I lightly wiped it with a very soft micro fiber to get the dust off. It has scratches across the whole display now. Apparently it's made of baby parts.

My guess is that to fix it, i can either replace the entire hvac control unit that comes with the screen, the buttons/knob section and the upped silver plastic trim (the lower plastic trim is clipped in separately)

for sure this is a 750$ part. if not way more.

or I may try to heat the plastic with a heat gun until the scratches goes away or until it starts to melt and look like a mess. I'll think about it.

or I may try to heat the plastic with a heat gun until the scratches goes away ...

Bad idea, IMO.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

My guess is that to fix it, i can either replace the entire hvac control unit that comes with the screen, the buttons/knob section and the upped silver plastic trim (the lower plastic trim is clipped in separately)

for sure this is a 750$ part. if not way more.

or I may try to heat the plastic with a heat gun until the scratches goes away or until it starts to melt and look like a mess. I'll think about it.

Is this true that the lower silver plastic trim piece is a separate piece under the HVAC display? Mine has a scratch I would love to replace. I have not been able to find a part number Any help?

Is this true that the lower silver plastic trim piece is a separate piece under the HVAC display? Mine has a scratch I would love to replace. I have not been able to find a part number Any help?

Scroll up and click on the link Grey Goose posted

Archived