LegacyGT.com

LED Headlight Install

Were you able to have the dust cover / cap on when you installed the HID setup installed? I've been thinking about going the HID route but am afraid they won't allow the cover to go back on letting in moisture/dust. Edited by Legacy30R
Word

Been really trying to no respond and have to be that guy but. The LEDs were definitely horrible. Light scattered with the hotspot not even close to where it should be and a ton of glare for oncoming drivers. LED bulbs should never be used.

HIDs in halogen projectors are a bad idea also. There are some projectors that do ok with HIDs but it's still not a great idea.

I haven't seen first hand how the stock projectors perform with HIDs but I do know there is an opening that let's light above the cut off (squirrel finder). Almost for sure, this will cause glare to oncoming drivers.

Retrofiting proper HID projectors is the right way to do it.

Maybe when it's warm and I can find some pnp hid bulbs I'll do a comparison of the OEM, OEM with HID and my retrofit.

Also HIDs in the high beam is just wrong. For a few reasons.

I do agree that the LED lights were horrible. However, the HID bulbs in the stock housing seems to throw out a very good coverage of light.

I would not do the HID high beam either.

I went with the GTRLighting kit because it comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty on their HID stuff. It was more expensive, but I figured the warranty would be useful down the road so I didn't have to purchase them again. Again, it is personal preference...it's your car, do what you want with it.

Consider this another vote against putting HIDs in High Beams, but with a small caveat.

The main reasons they are not the best fit are because all HID lighting has a warmup period (usually 10-30 seconds or so, more noticeable off a cold start but always there to some degree - if you need a quick flash of light, like for signalling to pass, your lights will probably still be warming up while you need them) and the extreme brightness in a High Beam. You think people flash their lights at you for driving with your High Beams on when they're not necessary? High Beam HIDs will be overkill.

That being said, if you're doing rural/mountain/off-roading/driving anywhere there aren't really regular light sources, or if you're going to turn your High Beams on and leave them on for extended periods of time, then HIDs could work for you. They're just not great for regular city driving or how most people tend to use those lights.

~Robert

All of that ^ plus our high beam is a reflector which won't control the light well. Which will likely lead to lots of bright light right in front of the car (foreground) which will ruin your distant vision and actually make it harder to see further down the road.

If you actually need really good distance there are good ways to get it.

• 1 year later...

Need to look into getting something like this for my Legacy when I get it back in March... Thanks for the info! Sorry to necro.

Damn.. link doesn't work.. Blah... may be SOL :X

two kits or just one for both headlights?

Edited by HellsDisciples

Ran Diode Dynamic 5k HIDs for yearssss with no problems. Ran V-LEDs micro LED low beams and LOVED them. Either work great in these cars with projectors. A 35 watt low beam DD HID kit or V-LED kit works great. I tested them in my 08 legacy and 06 outback. Looked great. ran yellow PIAA High beams. Nice look.:)

• 2 months later...
I’ve been running mine with HID by xenon depot for 3 years now it is still up and working. No problem on incoming or tickets that I get from the time that I install it. I don’t even use my high beams since I’m mostly in the city and highway driving.