LegacyGT.com

6 Gen. 3.6r exhaust ??¿¿

Nameless was making a kit for the 3.6R but stopped due to low sales. So they have the pattern but not sure if they would make anything.

Already tried and they would not do it even with an up charge.

It seems like the demand isn't there I thought alot more 3.6r fans would chime in on this. The best reason I heard why nameless stopped making the system because of complaints of drone sound. The match up with the 3.6 R boxer and the CVT makes a horrible drone sound. I don't know if this is true just what I heard and you're right they wouldn't make it for me either when I offered to pay more and forgo their return policy. My thing is as I can get headers headers for the car but no other exhaust parts that's just weird. And they're working on a Raptor supercharger kit for the 2017 Gen 6 but who's going to supercharge a car without no exhaust???

3.6r are not as popular as the 2.5i so aftermarket options will be much more limited. I would be happy with axle back exhausts. Anything to add a little more growl. I would stay away from supercharging it, mainly because of the CVT. Were it to fail it would certainly void the warranty.

Just go full custom. Find an exhaust shop that is prepared to work with you to get the desired result and get a custom exhaust fabricated. It isn't that much difference in price and you can get the sound exactly how you like it.

I know this doesn't really help anyone later down the track looking to replicate things but if nobody is making an exhaust then your only real option is to get one made to suit.

I did this on my 2.5 and have a full custom exhaust from headers right through to dual mufflers /tips. I didn't go the supercharger route on the 2.5 as we get the low torque CVT and I wasn't prepared to find the limits of the box (as it is my daily driver). There are supercharged 3.6's out there - not sure how many have the CVT but I'd talk to your tuner about the options here as you can run a low boost setting which should give some nice gains but not push the envelope too far. The 3.6 gets the same high torque CVT as used in WRX/STI. I think you'd be fine with a mild supercharger system on it. I just wouldn't be cranking up the boost without other supporting upgrades.

WRX CVT and the 3.6 already have similar power output, they both have the high torque CVT, but it is not the same transmission (SI Drive programming makes the WRX function very differently).

WRX CVT 268hp/258 torque

Legacy 3.6 256hp/247 torque

WRX S4 (Japan only) is a higher output factory WRX with CVT: 296hp/295 torque

So not a lot of meat on the bone if you want to turbo or supercharge your legacy and stay within what Subaru thinks the CVT can handle.

In any case, if you increase power output you are in the same "pay to play" territory as those that tune their WRX/STI's, and there are copious warranty denials for that sort of thing, check out NASIOC.

^^^ I agree. Had the Legacy had 6MT I would say go for it but the CVT durability is a concern to me. It is very expensive to fix/replace. I would leave the power output as is. Is the car a daily driver?

If I had the money and time I would be tempted to rebuild the EZ36D, turbo it just for the heck of it and the try a 6MT on it. I like to day dream.

All of these are great ideas and good information thanks just remember a lot of people like to compare the WRX or STI sedans to the Legacy but the curb weight physics don't apply meaning they can put those higher numbers on the lighter chassis they also make you hold less weight in the car passenger wise. Subaru easily could have supercharged the Legacy 3.6 boxer if it hadn't Been for gas mileage and they want to keep the cost down but all in all it is going to be a passion project for me because I would like to see it's supercharged and I'll take the chances and see what the limitations are on the CVT I will keep everybody posted as I do the upgrades I was going to add pictures to my profile but the forms picture size and restrictions are just too much to deal with thanks again for all the information opinions and input everybody enjoy their Subaru I know I do

Yep, any exhaust shop can make you something like this,

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN7108_zps0qpbx46x.jpg

Those go back about 10 years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The CVT really is the best/worst thing that happened to these cars. Great MPG, great smoothness and decent refinement with reasonable fun to be had with the paddle shifters- which work really well. Kina what sold me this over an AWD Charger.

But, the CVT creates drone issues with a modded exhaust...Makes it more like a Prius than a sports car. Limits the amount of mods you can do. The problem is... Have you driven one of these manual cars since like, 2005? I cannot believe how garbagy the transmissions feel. My little brother just passed up a new STI in 2015 due to that... I passed up a manual 2017 Impreza for the Legacy. The transmission feels like rubber tinkertoys in there. My 1999 with nearly 300k shifted nicer.

Why is the manual transmission dead? Because the MFGRs killed them. Its kind of a shame these CVTs can't handle power. Doesn't look good for the longevity I was hoping for from this car, but that mpg bar seems to keep me off the "drone" pedal haha.

Why is the manual transmission dead? Because the MFGRs killed them.

Not quite true. Manuals got killed off in the US market when people stopped buying them. We live in a culture where people want to do as little work for as much return as possible. Why shift gears yourself while driving and put in extra work when for a little bit extra, you can let the car do the work for you? Demand for manuals goes down, production goes down and automatics get cheaper as they become the more common option. Blame the customer, not the manufacturer.

Overall I love the conversation about the cars but the transmission it's only a very small issue because technically the CVT keeps an average RPM let's just pick one 1800 RPM and goes through a set amount of Gears to whatever miles per hour or kilometers per hour depending on where your location is and sits there at that RPM until you get to the desired speed and that's it you can do this at 1500 RPM 2000 RPM and never feel a change of gears in the CVT 3.6 / but don't know too much about the 2.5 liter in RPM range all they need to do is calibrate exhaust to handle that RPM with no sound until you push harder then 2000 RPM and sound will kick in after that really not that hard to make a balance 4 exhaust like that most real professional companies can do it they just needed a deman for it and want to do it to make money I do agree that laziness is killing the manual transmission but there is something to say about those dual-clutch automatic paddle shifting AT Transmissions very special and they can hold a lot of power and they're getting cheaper and put into more and more cars that are affordable not saying it's the best way to go but it is nice expecially for a guy like me with bad legs

Not quite true. Manuals got killed off in the US market when people stopped buying them. We live in a culture where people want to do as little work for as much return as possible. Why shift gears yourself while driving and put in extra work when for a little bit extra, you can let the car do the work for you? Demand for manuals goes down, production goes down and automatics get cheaper as they become the more common option. Blame the customer, not the manufacturer.

Well, people stopped buying them because manufacturers also steered customers upwards in trim levels, many that only have automatics

And automatics are starting to deliver better mpg's than their manual counterparts, which probably partially accounts for manufacturers steering customers upward in trim levels, because they want to meet fleet mpg standards and future EPA requirements, as well as consumer demand (for Subaru, this means selling cars that come close to their competitors mpg's, despite the AWD system that the competitors don't offer)

there is probably a dumbing down of the young drivers, but probably the EPA standards and the push to deliver Subaru's with mpg's close to a Accord and Camry have a lot more to do with their motivation to sell more CVT's than MT's.

The push to deliver high MPG scores in government testing is also resulting in more of the auto start/stop technology, that consumers generally hate (maybe moreso because it does not really deliver different mpg's in real world driving, like it does in the standardized testing, so it artificially inflates the MPG's)

For now, at least they offer MT's in their sport sedans (BRZ, WRX, STI).

Archived