LegacyGT.com

Powder coated my stock wheels

mattg

steel gray w/ clear coat. tires are hankook icebear w300, 225/45-17. dm.gif

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/websize/subaru%20067.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/websize/subaru%20064.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/websize/subaru%20069.jpg

I think that looks damn good. I've been wanting to do that for a while. How much did that cost you? Did you get it done or did you do it yourself?

thanks.

it cost me $180 to get them sand blasted and powdercoated. less than i thought it would be.

OMG! That is the schweetness my friend!

Now that I've seen the effect.... I fully intend to get my next set of wheels done up like that!

That looks SOOOO good on that SWP! So good.... that I'm mad at myself for getting the OBP instead!

Very nice maing.... very nice indeed! +1

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

Adding to my previous post.... I'd like to thank you for informing me on what tire size I'm going to go with when I replace these nasty RE-92s for winter usage!

Thanx maing!

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

looks great, and I dig the IceBears....I got them too :D Great handling winter tire, that is for sure. Now we just need some snow so I can see how they handle the white stuff. I know they can handle the on ramps in the Denver area at 50mph... :icon_twis

^^Can I ask where you got those and how much you paid.

I'm looking to replace these RE92s with some good all around tires that handle well in the snow and I can't find BFGoodrich Traction T/A in 225.45.17.

Thanx in advance.

Damn the powder coat looks pretty good! I have no clue if the baking process has any effect on the integrity of the wheel though...

As far as snows-On Indigo03's advice (I felt I could kinda trust a guy with Cusco Coilovers on his Outback XT- :icon_tong ) I went with the Hankook Ice Bears as well (225/45VR17) from discount tires (www.tires.com)

...I 've had them about a week now and I LOVE them!! I got mine for $112 a piece (shipping was free) and then it cost me 54 bucks to get them installed- so it was about $500 total.

I haven't found any snow yet- but as for on ramps and traffic circles in dry AND wet weather, they are a sweet tire! They look pretty bad ass too:icon_evil

If I was going to go with an Ultra High Performance all-season, I've heard great things about the:

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S

and

Continental ContiExtremeContact

Any proof? Heard that a million times but no one has proof to back it up.

From what I've seen, powder coating doesn't actually weaken the rim, but it can hide stress cracks. So, it is possible that you can have a weakend rim, and not even know it until it fully breaks.

In this way, painting the rim is actually better, since it will show the stress marks. Not a huge deal if you don't plan on stressing your rims.

For this reason, a lot of people that do offroad racing, won't powder coat. It is usually okay for street driving.

^^Can I ask where you got those and how much you paid.

I'm looking to replace these RE92s with some good all around tires that handle well in the snow and I can't find BFGoodrich Traction T/A in 225.45.17.

Thanx in advance.

I am running a 225-55-17, so larger than you need, but it ran $444 shipped from http://www.tires.com, mounted and road force balanced for $50. My price also included all 4 certs.

As far as snows-On Indigo03's advice (I felt I could kinda trust a guy with Cusco Coilovers on his Outback XT- :icon_tong )

Al, not sure you should put so much faith in stuff I do, haha. ;)

back on topic, regardless of tires, those powder coated rims are great...and excellent color choice as well.

From what I've seen, powder coating doesn't actually weaken the rim, but it can hide stress cracks. So, it is possible that you can have a weakend rim, and not even know it until it fully breaks.

In this way, painting the rim is actually better, since it will show the stress marks. Not a huge deal if you don't plan on stressing your rims.

For this reason, a lot of people that do offroad racing, won't powder coat. It is usually okay for street driving.

This is good to know -thanks!

So how would you guys rate the Hankook W300 up against the RE92 in 225.45.17?

A hair better? Moderately better? Or.... "these tires make the RE92 look stupid!"

Not a huge deal if you don't plan on stressing your rims.

Does 300+ wtq count as a stress on the rims? icon_biggrin.gif

I really like the Icebears, they handle better and are quieter than the RE92's, even in the dry.

Archived