LegacyGT.com

Smoking from hood?

I was driving my 08 legacy gt today and I got to a red light and there was smoke coming from the hood/hood scoop. It smelled like burning rubber! Any suggestions on what it is? Thanks!

Also, when I popped the hood, the coolant level was almost to the cap!

I don't know about the coolant but a common problem comes from a small oil leak out of the vcg. Either directly related to the gasket itself or the little plastic half moon pieces that go along the gasket. A small amount of oil drips onto the up pipe causing smoke usually from the pass side.

+1 on the belts. A burning rubber smell should be telling, could be any of a number of hoses, too. Coolant and oil are very specific smells when they burn.

If not the belts or hoses, I'd check the CV boots (especially the pass. side, next to the downpipe). Axle grease has a funny smell for the uninitiated.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

+1 on the belts. A burning rubber smell should be telling, could be any of a number of hoses, too. Coolant and oil are very specific smells when they burn.

If not the belts or hoses, I'd check the CV boots (especially the pass. side, next to the downpipe). Axle grease has a funny smell for the uninitiated.

The passenger side cv boot is ripped. There is grease everywhere! Looks like some got onto the downpipe, would that cause the smoke?

The passenger side cv boot is ripped. There is grease everywhere! Looks like some got onto the downpipe, would that cause the smoke?

Glad you got it figured out. Welcome to turbo Subaru ownership ;)

Heat from the downpipe causes the passenger side CV boot to wear fastest. Then it cracks, rips, and spews grease everywhere. As usual, some landed on the downpipe, hence your smokeshow.

Replace the boot quickly, and you'll likely be able to save the axle. If you do need to replace the whole axle, don't buy an aftermarket one. Instead go with OEM, or OEM-remanufactured (Subaru does it, and it saves $ over new).

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Replace the boot quickly, and you'll likely be able to save the axle. If you do need to replace the whole axle, don't buy an aftermarket one. Instead go with OEM, or OEM-remanufactured (Subaru does it, and it saves $ over new).
Very good advice. Nowadays, a lot of mechanics will just swap parts. Sometimes, the parts they put in are not as good as what you already have. See if you can just replace the boot. Just don't let dirt or grit get into that joint and it should be fine.

Archived