LegacyGT.com

$2.5k to spend, turbo upgrade, intercooler, romraider, injectors show me the way

Hello everyone, I just recently purchased a 2005 obxt from a friend. I got a good deal on it and I like working on my own cars anyways I purchased it with the knowledge that it probably had a blown up turbo, which it was. The car has over 200k on the odometer but the last time the turbo went it took the motor with it so it was replaced by a shop so the motor now currently has 100k on it. I plan on going with an 18g or 20g turbo, replacing all the oil feed lines with upgraded ones. Im going to replace the uppipe with a catless.I would like to upgrade the intercooler and fueling as well but I was thinking I would just run the stock injectors and lowering the boost at high rpm. I just want to start with what I need and I will upgrade everything else over the next few months. Anyways I would like to know if any of you have any recommendations of how I could go about this and stay in budget. Thanks in advance.

Before you do anything give is details on the "blown up turbo". There is a very solid chance you need to save that 2.5k for when the motor gives out in the next 30k. When these turbos go they give the engine a terminal condition half the time or more.

I plan on doing suspension work after I get it running. For now I just need something that drives. I keep trying to post pictures of the turbo but it won't upload, the shaft was no longer in place and both wheels are shredded. It's completely toast. I drove it off the flatbed when it got delivered to my house and I didn't hear and wierd noises, that would indicate engine damage. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that. I really don't want to tear the motor apart unless I need to, if you have any ideas on how I could check for damage without a tear down I'm open to that. I'm obviously going to drain the oil and run it through a screen to see if I have a bunch of metal floating around down there, as well as the oil filter. The bottom line is even if the motor is damaged I'm still going to be doing these upgrades, a motor rebuild will just be added to it. It will have its own budget.

I keep trying to post pictures of the turbo but it won't upload, the shaft was no longer in place and both wheels are shredded. It's completely toast.

Congratulations, you now have metal bits in your motor and intercooler! Regardless of sounds, it's not in good shape.

I really don't want to tear the motor apart unless I need to, if you have any ideas on how I could check for damage without a tear down I'm open to that.

Hopefully someone else will comment on how to check the health.

The standard procedure if it's not totally shot is: drop the oil pan and clean it out. Replace the oil cooler. Clean out or replace the intercooler. Fully flush the motor several times over.

Guide to what to do and why it happens here

Even people that do the above often run into issues later though. See the BNR supercars turbo thread, you see a lot of people replace everything, put on a new turbo, and it gets starved of oil and blows up agains several thousand miles later. And that wasn't at fault of BNR's turbos, that was the motors still had crap floating around in there that would clog something up eventually and ether starve the turbo or head of oil.

The bottom line is even if the motor is damaged I'm still going to be doing these upgrades, a motor rebuild will just be added to it. It will have its own budget.

It might be more economical to do everything at once. That way you can pull the motor and install everything with it out of the car. If you're planning a 20G and making some real power the stock short block may not last long.

guide to turbo upgrades and supporting mods here

Yea I realize there is gonna be metal floating around in there and I do plan to flush everything out really good. Replace all the oil feed lines/oil cooler ect. The biggest concern I have is that the top of the piston/ combustion chamber damage from pieces of the turbo going through there. I plan to replace the intercooler as well so as long as there isn't damage to the combustion chamber I think I should be alright. If the oil filter did its job I would assume I shouldn't have any damage to the lower end but I am definately going to check for metal down there.

I also plan on putting an inline oil filter right before the turbo to protect it incase and debris does make it that far, similar to the banjo bolt filter but bigger and not restrictive. Summit racings headquarters is about 20 min from my house and I found some good options on there.

I appreciate all of your input about what could potentially be damaged because of the turbo failure but I would like to get back on track on the post which is the best way to spend $2500 while covering the bases on turbo upgrade, new intercooler, oil line replacement, catless uppipe and possible fuel injector upgrades if I have enough left of liver at this stage. I'm in a position now to save about another $1000 each month to spend on this project so if there is engine damage I will rebuild with forged internals sometime this summer so it will just be a small setback.

Yeah, you aint modding for power till you' e got 5k saved for a new shortblock install first. When the wheel isnt shredded there is hope. You drove it, and someone elsr did for sure with a toasted turbo. Its not a canadate for reliabilty any longer.

I guess I will see when I get it running, still not on the topic of my post tho....

Read the information posted for you, then come back with questions when you've digested that.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I already know all the information that you have provided, as I stated I'm not concerned about the health of my motor I was just looking for information on the upgrade path. If my engine needs rebuilt I will tackle that if necessary and use it as an opportunity to upgrade parts that I was already planning to upgrade anyways. The only advice that I was looking for was the best way to spend $2500 on the parts that I have listed. I guess I should have just made a post stating that instead of adding a preamble of how and why I purchased the car and maybe I would have received the help I was looking for. Thanks anyways.

The first $2500 on my Outback went towards:

Pre Purchase Inspection

Timing Belt/Water pump

Clutch/Flywheel

Wheel Bearing Replacement

Catless Up Pipe

Labor

Although I am at stage 1 levels, Car became more fun after replacing suspension to konis. This car tends to eat money fast, good luck. I ate into alot of money I thought would go towards "upgrades" with maintenance. Purchased at 104k and at 138k miles now.

I would go VF52, up/downpipe. stock fueling, and BP TMIC if you are on budget.

Thanks funky. I appreciate the feedback, I definately plan to do some suspension work after I get the car on the road. Around here ball joints and bushings have to be done very regularly because of all the potholes and drastic weather changes. The reason I wanted to go with a bnr 20g (with tapered boost at the top end is because until I upgrade the fuel system) is because i want something I can upgrade in to over the course of the next year. The price point for a new vf turbo seems to be equal to or more expensive than a bnr turbo from what I have seen and I plan on buying a new turbo because the last thing I want to deal with right now is another turbo failure. I will be dropping the oil pan and inspecting for metal particles that would indicate bottom end damage in the next couple days.

Archived