LegacyGT.com

New to Subarus - 2005 LGT

Hey, first time posting here. I've always been a jeep and truck kind of guy. Recently, on my last deployment in Japan I left my 2000 Jeep Cherokee to my dad to sell while I was gone. I got back to a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT. I'm fairly inexperienced to Subarus and Turbo'd cars in general, however, I feel like this is just the project I need to get my hands in the pot.

So this Subaru as 155,xxx miles and is completely stock to my knowledge (wish he would have taken it to someone to get more info on it).

My goal is to gradually increase horsepower and make it into a pretty powerful DD that I can take to the track from time to time.

I was wondering what route you guys would take as far as mods go, I'm completely new to this and would gladly accept all input.

Until I figure out where I want to go with it I'm just doing some pretty simple mods to the interior to make it a little nicer to spend a long time in.

I'm sure the turbo owners here will offer good advice, better than I ever could.

I just wanted to say make sure to check your engine oil level frequently until you know whether or not your car consumes oil, and how much it consumes. My car consumes more oil when it's hotter outside, and after doing a lot of highway driving.

I just wanted to say make sure to check your engine oil level frequently until you know whether or not your car consumes oil, and how much it consumes. My car consumes more oil when it's hotter outside, and after doing a lot of highway driving.

Will do! I was planning on doing this because my father didn't get ANY info for me about the vehicle.

Any idea if the timing belt replacement was done at 105,000 miles or so. If you can't be sure it was done, you may want to seriously consider doing it. It is required service.

If you have a completely bone stock 05, then it has a catalytic converter in the uppipe that is a threat to the turbo and should be changed out. Stage 2 (up, down, tune) is the sweet spot on these cars. Good luck. Welcome to LGT.com. Enjoy!

Check out this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-06-legacy-gt-260769.html. It's gonna have some good info for you.

+1 on the oil checking. Expect to add oil in between changes.

• Change out the fluids, ideally have it inspected since it's an old high mileage turbo Subaru. Make sure the timing belt has been done.
  • Look into whether the stock catted 2005 uppipe has been replaced with a catless uppipe for reliability (so cat debris doesn't kill the turbo).
  • Look into removing the turbo banjo bolt filter (which can also destroy the turbo. Turbo failures can kill the engines on these as well as your hopes and dreams.)
  • Once you have accounted for the health of the engine:
    • For power: Stage 2 is a nice start for these cars. Contact Tuning Alliance or Cryotune and get a downpipe, Cobb AccessPort, and tune.
    • For handling: Thicker rear sway bar optionally with rear sway bar reinforcement braces, better sway bar end links, and some kind of suspension solution because the body roll on these cars is terrible.
    • Remember that the stock airbox is not restrictive until you're making big power. The same more or less goes for the catback (just noise).

Rear swaybar braces are really pretty required in my opinion if you are going to upgrade the RSB. The stock braces just won't stand up to a beefier sway. You can get away with stock endlinks for all street cars. Aftermarket endlinks aren't really a significant performance improvement.

Whole heatedly agree on checking the banjo bolt for the turbo and making sure it's clear. I'd also take off the down-pipe and check the shaft play on the turbo. If it's good then I'd say its all good. If it's wobbly then I'd say change the turbo before it goes and then you'll be fine, haha.

Disregard the first few posts about Hawgzaust. It's an exhaust leak created by placing washers between the muffler to y-pipe connection. Doesn't sound good.

That, as they say, is a matter of opinion.. :)

Hey everyone!

A little update. I am going to take her in and get the timing belt replaced here fairly soon. I am also looking at stage 2 upgrades currently! Any suggestions on Up/downpipes?

I'd like to do the stage 2 upgrade myself, is putting in the AP myself a difficult task?

On a separate note I've been looking through the exhaust compilation thread and I'm really enjoying the sound of the Magnaflow catback, any other suggestions of exhausts you guys run?

I was also looking into short throw shift assemblies and bushings to make my shifter have a little less play in it.

As for rear swaybars, any brand you guys are particular to?

I appreciate the help, guys. I'm really excited to begin this project

Another update.

I figured out that the previous owner did infact replace the turbo and injectors.

I do not know what turbo he replaced the previous one with, however. I can not for the life of me find any serial number or any info on the turbo itself. It has me thinking that he may have also replaced the up and downpipe along with it? How would I be able to tell and how would i be able to tell if the up pipe has a cat in it? Thanks!

While they are doing the timing belt, have them remove the cam gears on the drivers side had and remove the filter in that banjo bolt. Or may be they can file the head on the bolt down and back it out.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5gt-turbo-oil-supply-banjo-bolt-filter-removal-62371.html

The banjo filters in these cars was a bad idea, for 05-06.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Here's my Invidia catless up and down pipes,

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4753.jpg

You should be able to see them from under the car.

I don't think I have a good picture of the flat spot on the turbo where you can find the info, but here's my old vf40, the flat spot is on the lower right side of the video.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/th_VID00002.mp4

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Another update.

I figured out that the previous owner did infact replace the turbo and injectors.

I do not know what turbo he replaced the previous one with, however. I can not for the life of me find any serial number or any info on the turbo itself. It has me thinking that he may have also replaced the up and downpipe along with it? How would I be able to tell and how would i be able to tell if the up pipe has a cat in it? Thanks!

Pictures may help us.

Here is an up top pic of the VF46(What I replaced the blown VF40 with) and the VF52 (What I replaced the VF46 with)

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/5f488d9d-9cd6-4f11-8fee-3c7ec2d3418b_zpsplp12doc.jpg~original

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/5bfd8bb5-9ff2-47f9-881e-6f9cd66db5ec_zps2heavrcz.jpg~original

Archived