LegacyGT.com

Legacy Oil Change Frequency

I've had 28 cars in 54 years, know how to and actually love turning a wrench even though I don't have to, and have turned over slightly used cars to other people in almost as good condition, mechanically and cosmetically as when they were new. The only exceptions were four German cars that were demonized from the factory. And yes - I "know enough"'to do what I f-ing well please to do with my money and my cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats?

What is your point?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yet somehow, with all that, GM maintains the lead in US auto sales by market share and Subaru continues to wallow in the 3% plateau where its been for years (note: this is a random recent month, but annual market shares approximate this chart):

USA%2Bauto%2Bbrand%2Bmarket%2Bshare%2Bchart%2BJune%2B2016.jpg

Curious to know what percentage of each manufacturer market share is fleet vs. actual consumer retail.

Just change it once a year and forget it...

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-annual-protection

**Mobil recommends you follow factory service intervals while under warranty

***Mobil seems to be charging $50 for a 5 quart jug, which is almost 2x what Pennzoil charges for a 5quart jug of 0W-20 -- but one of the reviews is spot on:

"Mobil makes three 0w-20 products - AFE (10K miles), EP (15K miles) and AP (20K miles). At our local big box store, they were priced at $26, $29, and $48 respectively.

Comparing some of Mobil's specifications, the pour points are -51C, -54C, and -51C, and flash points of 224C, 235C, and 241C respectively. That means that the EP version will have slightly better low temperature flow, and the AP version will be a little more resistant to oil usage from vaporization loss.

What I can't understand is the economics of the AP version. AFE is an excellent oil for cars still in warranty, where you change your oil at the interval recommended by the manufacturer to maintain it. That is almost always under 10K miles, except for some German cars and cars with a maintenance minder used for almost all highway driving.

After the warranty is completed, you could use either EP or AP. Let's assume an oil change costs $20 for labor, $10 for a filter, plus $7/Q for top-off oil. Even the best modern cars consume some oil. That means you will have to add oil too. For arguments sake, lets say your car uses 1Q / 7500 miles. You'll need to add 1Q with EP , and 2Q with AP.

So over 60K miles, using EP will cost $266. AP will cost $276. If you do it yourself, EP will cost $184, AP will cost $216.

In essence, you are paying Mobil for your time savings. Hopefully Mobil will reconsider their pricing structure. "

Expensive oil for lazy people, to use after warranty expires, otherwise a good oil.

@upstater...at Walmart, the price of Mobil1 and Pennzoil Platinum is within a dollar or two from each other. I change my oil eery 5K like clock work and see no need to buy anything other than the "standard" full 0W20 synthetic oil for around $23 per 5qt jug.

@upstater...at Walmart, the price of Mobil1 and Pennzoil Platinum is within a dollar or two from each other. I change my oil eery 5K like clock work and see no need to buy anything other than the "standard" full 0W20 synthetic oil for around $23 per 5qt jug.

right now I use standard Pennzoil Platinum (not ultra) with ~5k at 6 months that is fine.

after warranty expires which is when I decide to buy out the lease or not, if I keep it I could see using Amsoil or another extended life and doing an annual oil change, less than 12k miles per year and it isn't stop and go severe duty driving.

@upstater...I hear ya my friend. For me, personally, I am just a bit more "old fashioned". I like knowing my oil is replaced every 5K miles and the slight increase in cost is worth it to me. You, most likely, aren't saving that much money over the life of the car by doing it at every 12K. To each their own but I just can't get myself to do it.

Yet somehow, with all that, GM maintains the lead in US auto sales by market share and Subaru continues to wallow in the 3% plateau where its been for years (note: this is a random recent month, but annual market shares approximate this chart):

USA%2Bauto%2Bbrand%2Bmarket%2Bshare%2Bchart%2BJune%2B2016.jpg

How much of that is truck sales? In terms of cars, they come in at #8 for their first model (once you subtract the 3 trucks from FORD DODGE and GM from the top of the current best seller list)

you can try and argue this all you want but in terms of total passenger car sales, the big 3 are in a world of left behind compared to the Japanese... Subaru for example cannot even build their cars fast enough

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-06-08/subaru-sells-out-will-one-of-the-fastest-growing-carmakers-decide-to-stay-small-

Subaru has the BEST profit margin period....

Want an American car buy a Legacy or Outback and now Impreza, all built here now... solid growth for 64+ months... Add to that the fact they are going to possibly crack the million cars made mark this year....

@upstater...I hear ya my friend. For me, personally, I am just a bit more "old fashioned". I like knowing my oil is replaced every 5K miles and the slight increase in cost is worth it to me. You, most likely, aren't saving that much money over the life of the car by doing it at every 12K. To each their own but I just can't get myself to do it.

Watched John Cadogan review of the new 2017 Impreza, CVT only (in Australia), but now with 12 month service interval (12 month or 12,500k=7,700 miles, which isn't too far off our 6,000 mile recommended interval, but the 6 month requirement is gone in Australia for the Impreza)

You can do used oil analysis if you get nervous, but it is pretty clear that service intervals are being continually extended by manufacturers (does this increase sales that much? Service intervals don't usually make or break a sale I bet) because fully synthetic oil does not need to be changed nearly as often as required by past automobiles using regular oil.

Archived