LegacyGT.com

Adding a Turbo to a '98 2.5GT

harriss2

Has anyone added a turbo to a naturally aspirated, stock '98 (or comparable year) 2.5GT? If so, was an intercooler used? How has the performace and fuel effeciency changed? Any recommendations for reputable turbo brands and installation tips would be greatly appreciated.

check out the tech threads on nasioc.com - several people have done what you are asking about and you will find more info there.

Another route is swapping in a WRX drivetrain - it will probably cost about the same in the end and you have a proven solution

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have a 1998 Legacy GT turbo. I highly recommend using

an intercooler. I used a WRX intercooler myself, which needed

to be slightly ground to fit.

As far as performance, It is faster than most other cars on

the road at this point, but I have done plenty of tuning, added

lowe compression pistons, turned up the boost, etc.

As far as fuel economy, it's way lower than it was. Why? Because

of the grin factor. I definitely hit the gas pedal a lot more than I

did before the turbo and more air = more gas. Expect less than

20 mpg.

Thanks for the replies. leondal - how much psi boost are you getting out of your turbo? Is it true that if you are only boosting less than 7 psi, that you don't need an intercooler? What kind of turbo is it? Is it also from a WRX? If you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend on your turbo and intercooler? Did you also have to buy larger fuel injectors? What other components had to change as a result of adding the turbo?

Basically, my goal is to get more power out of my engine without doing too much work or spending too much money. I've read reviews of aftermarket air intakes boosting the power by 5-15 hp for approx. $250. A turbo could add as little or nearly as much hp as you could afford. Ideally, I'd like to add about 20-40 hp which is why I am interested in adding a turbo, but I am not opposed to something like an air intake if it would add noticeable power.

Does anyone have any input on recommending the cheapest way to give a stock engine a few more hp?

I am currently running a max of 7 psi. I am running a

Garret T3/T04E turbo. I am using stock injectors and

am using a Vortech 4:1 RRFPR, as well as a SAFC-II.

A intercooler might not necessarily essential for lower

boost, but it does add extra security, and it adds tons

of torque, especially at the low end.

I also use the stock airbox, with custom turbo piping.

Let's see I think I have some pictures here.

I recommend using a Bosch recirculation valve, as

opposed to any of the ricier BOVs.

DSCF0206.jpg.8872747f3758fdbc62c869371160df65.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another route is swapping in a WRX drivetrain - it will probably cost about the same in the end and you have a proven solution

I'll say!!!

Check out this proof!!! :eek:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889178

video: :eek: :eek:

http://videos.streetfire.net/player.aspx?fileid=397F57EA-9E53-4DDF-9625-33FD7CB01CEE

• 1 month later...

My 2 cents...(My wife and I have a 05 OBXT and we just bought a 98 LGT Wagon tonight!)

I have turbo'd an SR20 in a 91 Sentra SE-R and have seen (and ridden) in others done differently.

The IC should be considered a MUST. I mean, come on...a cheap used side-mount Eclipse IC from a junkyard could be had for $20.

Bottom line, "turbo" does not belong in the same phrase as "without too much work" or "without too much money." You'll see. You'll either spend too much money or expend too much work."

Or you'll curse the turbo as a waste of money after a doomed short-lived flirtation with forced induction.

• 2 weeks later...

:eek:

wow! I'm was pretty impressed when he finally went WOT. It took off pretty damn fast. I'd like to also see what the car can do from a stand still.

all I can say is its not the best idea to turbo the na block. It will be safer to just swap in a WRX engine and more cost effective. My friend has a '00 Impreza RS (same engine as the '98 GT) which was turbo'd about 3 years ago using the AVO turbo kit. It was installed professionally and has only worked correctly in warm weather. Once the temps drop below freezing all hell breaks loose and the car doesnt work, so we just picked up a Rallitek PP6 to replace the other Piggyback ECU that is junk. Its taken alot of work and $$ to fix this car and I still dont know if I can tune the PP6 right to get the car functioning correctly.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Archived