LegacyGT.com

Misfire I think

I,ve read a few threads on misfires and I'm confused on the CEL. I just did timing belts etc. on My OBXT. While the car was down I checked the banjo screens. On the '08 one is under the intake tube. I now have a slightly rough idle and a slight stutter during acceleration. Will a misfire always generate a CEL? I gotta think I dislodged a vacuum line somewhere and it is causing this wierd idle.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I understand it, the ECU determines misfire by observing minute variations in the crankshaft speed. So, your engine can run rough due to a vacuum leak and not always cause a CEL. Since you were just working around the vacuum lines, your suspicions are probably right.

OP, if you have an android device you should then invest in getting the btssm app for your car. You will be able to view certain live parameters related to boost/vacuum leaks.

Furthermore, you will be able to log a parameter called 'roughness count' or 'misfire' for each cylinder. Using this parameter, I was able to diagnose issues in a given cylinder for my cars (cylinder #2). I was getting specific counts of misfires in that cylinder during warm idle due to tight exhaust valve clearance.

fyi, this count ranges from 0 to 99. The misfire cel usually gets triggered when this count reaches 30+.

Also, I am pretty sure if you bent your valves, the engine would barely run!

Yeah I kinda figured that. When I took the old timing belt off the one cam gear rotated pretty firmly about a quarter of a turn and scared the crap out of Me.

Yeah. The cams on the driver side are under load for timing belt removal. So you do have to be careful. But I think you should still be fine.

The btssm app has been designed by one of our forum members. So this is an app specifically tailored to our car and can read parameters which most generic apps won't be able to (like feedback knock, misfires, etc..).

Go to this thread for more details. The developer (heiche) is an awesome guy.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/btssm-bluetooth-adapter-app-229709.html

If he discontinued the battery that will reset the ECU, with will cause the motor to run rough for a while. The ECU is relearning the air/fuel ratios.

I thought about this too, I switched to a Lightweight pulleyat the same time I drove the car about 60 hiway miles, maybe not enough yet?

If he discontinued the battery that will reset the ECU, with will cause the motor to run rough for a while. The ECU is relearning the air/fuel ratios.

For some reasons, my 05 does not have this issue :cool:. But the 06 does.

It learns really quickly from my experience (like within the first couple of miles). Essentially, 2 or 3 minutes after the car has been started and left idling (after a ECU reset), I noticed the ECU was already beginning to apply fuel correction and 'learning' them. So it is usually quick.

Learning starts as soon as the car re-enters CL for the first time after an ECU/TCU reset (either hard or soft).

This means that the first thing to start setting are the low range Fuel trims (A, B), then as you drive the car learns C,D, E (if applicable) and as it exits pure FKC, enter and exits RC and enters FLKC - Timing adjustments also start to fill in across the LV RPM/Load map.

Of course the whole process is continuous and just keep going after a reset, but how fast it fills in most of the data points and settles on some values is usually a function of:

a. compensations (coolant temp up to temp, ATF/CVTF up to temp, intake temps)

b. driving style (how many points of the Fuel and Timing Learn we hit and how often)

c. CL/OL tune config (when CL kicks in and how often)

I would say you typically want to only 'trust' LVs after about an hour or two of continuous mixed mode driving at operating temp after a reset. Better yet, give the car a day or a week of driving even to see some meaningful LV data.

In between, the only thing that will tell you how the tune is doing and how well scaling, calibrations, etc are set are logs.

My 05 was not smooth at idle. Turned out an exhaust valve did not have any clearance. Since I put the clearance back to spec on that car, the idle is perfect.

Can't remember if I asked before, can you log misfires and your fuel trims?

I have an OBD reader linked to My phone , still figuring out how it works. The car has 82K on it and I just replaced timing belts , and spark plugs. Maybe I didn't get a plug boot on right. I am not getting a CEL. I couldn't find any vacuum leaks after spraying quite a bit of carb cleaner around where I was working

O.K. I got the BTsSM app working and it shows a missfire #4 . It didn't miss before I did the timing belt kit and new spark plugs. So I'll make sure the connection at the plug is good and the cable is good on the coil pack.

oh you got it? Good on you.

Do you actually have a cel or it just shows counts of misfire?

Also, when does the misfire count show up? warm or cold engine? at idle or any rpm range?

can you post an lv as well so we can see your fuel trims?

No I do not have a cel. I just connected to a cold engine to get the app to work at idle speed. I am using a Scantool OBDLX reader and I haven't figured out how to post anything yet.

ok. How many counts are you getting?

Does the misfire go away when fully warmed at idle?

There is a button called 'LV' on the btssm app where it will retrieve a 'learning view'. It is automatically saved in your phone/tablet. You just need to upload that small file here.

Archived