LegacyGT.com

Has anyone married this setup yet...

I plan to just replace my rear suspension to raise the back of my car. Plan to purchase the following:

KYB GR-2 rears with King 1' raised springs. Stock or KYB top hats, with subtle 1' saggy rear aluminium saggy rear spacers.

My concern is enough clearance for the shock and that extra 1' for strut recoil response. Also when the 2 inch spacer is put in place, aligment needs to be done?

The spacer goes ON TOP of the tophat and has no bearing on the recoil of the spring and extended length of the shock at full extension. It is a body lift, not a suspension lift.

In for pics of the absurd rake.

I thought about doing the the outback setup, but i don't have the time or want to spend the money on a hybrid kit.

Right now, i plan to do the rear since the front is ok. Eventually, i will do the front with a nose dive spacer kit. Using the same gr2 setup... but i cant seem to find raised springs.

Good to kn ow on the spacer, thanks

Also, i doing rear because i keep bottoming out. Dealer said the shocks are good

Just get some aftermarket springs (i.e. RCE blacks or H&R) and you won't bottom out. Sure there's a drop but it will travel less than the spongy stock springs. Or even try swapping out the 2010-12 springs for 2013-14 if you are concerned about lowering.

OP, what are you trying to accomplish? If you don't want to bottom out with the stock springs, just get Koni Yellow or KYB 2013-2014 OEM replacements rears and you're done, you won't bottom out anymore. The 2010-2012 stock rear shocks are awful, severely under-damped even for the stock spring.

If the shocks were not removed and tested then they could be blown but that doesn't keep you from bottoming out, that's the springs job (with a few exceptions). The shock just dampens and controls the spring. Like Zee said you need a stiffer spring and the subsequent matched shock/strut to control it. I have a 14' and it never bottoms out.

Just to help us help you, what situation are you specifically bottoming out on? Do you carry extra weight in the car, i.e. tools, stereo equipment, dead bodies, etc.

Your easiest way to raise the car about 2-2.5 inches is to do Outback suspension. The lack of availability of King raised springs for the front is going be a PITA. You're doing it piecemeal the way you're proposing.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/project-legacy-gt-outback-begins-244041.html?t=244041&highlight=Outback+GT

If you are doing this in response to bottoming out, and aren't married to the idea of a big lift, I would suggest 2014 3.6R springs w/ 1 inch strut spacers. That's what I currently have and I never bottom out during normal driving now. The '14 springs are much stiffer, and the mild 1" lift keeps my alignment within spec, so I don't need to invest in other suspension bits.

I seriously would not recommend raising the rear 2 inches and not doing the same with the front at the same time. Raising the rear only will result in a rake that is going to completely upset the handling dynamics of the car. It will shift weight forward, decrease your caster angle, and make the rear want to oversteer something fierce.

I seriously would not recommend raising the rear 2 inches and not doing the same with the front at the same time. Raising the rear only will result in a rake that is going to completely upset the handling dynamics of the car. It will shift weight forward, decrease your caster angle, and make the rear want to oversteer something fierce.

I second this x 10000000. Not knowing the rate of the King spring is potentially pouring gas on the fire your proposing.

If you want lift sell the car and buy an Outback or use the Outback setup.

If you do jack it up in the rear only at least put some 15x10 wide rims on the back with 295/60/15's on them.

OP, what are you trying to accomplish?

I will ask again. Raising it to get rid of bottoming out is not the solution. You need stiffer springs and shocks that can control them. Many of us are lower than you at your stock height, yet we don't bottom out. You need understand what is going on here....your problem is really really under-damped shocks that cannot control the spring's movement adequately.

Any special part number? Like is see that that koni comes in different flavors. Is it still worth it to get the spacers at least? What is the part number on the springs?

Spacers will not give your suspension more range of motion. It will still bottom out, but your body will be further away from the wheels.

If your not looking for added ground clearance, then stiffer springs and the proper struts to control them is the solution. 2013/2014 Legacy springs (doesn't matter what model they all got the same spring) and either OEM struts and shocks from the same or Koni's like GT has mentioned.

If you are looking for added ground clearance the OEM Outback is it.

Case in point, my buddy has a 97' Tacoma 4x4. Previous owner lifted it with coil spacers. He found off roading that you still have the same suspension travel and he needed more. Out when the OEM Spring and spacer and a longer spring (and proper Bilstein sock) was installed giving him the same lift with more suspension articulation. This is with an IFS front end.

If you search the site, you'll find that the OEM 10-12' suspension was crap across the board. There is many a tales of woe of folks bottoming out, nose diving over speed bumps at 5 mph and whale boat type handling at higher speeds.

Any special part number? Like is see that that koni comes in different flavors.

Koni 8010-1055S

:cool:

Skip the spacers.

These are the springs you want.

http://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2014_Legacy36L-5AT-4WDR-Limited-Sedan-wEyeSight/COIL-SPRING-REAR/49230090/20380AJ10A.html

Archived