LegacyGT.com

Bonbon's Bilstein BTS kit

I have not driven a lot but so far, it is meeting my requirements :). Now I claim "confidence in motion" :lol:. It is really good actually. Gone are those double bounces on speed bump, driving fast on an uneven road is not scary at all anymore. I really like it so far. Still need to fine tune the alignment and I may bump the car height another 1/2 inch or so.

If I can confirm within the next 1000 miles that the engine is still healthy, then next step is to get a jdm/edm 07+ front end and maybe respray the whe car a different color. This champagne gold color is aweful..

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine seats at slightly more than 43 cm, so essentially 17 inches. The FSM says that OEM should sit at 17.2" in the rear. So basically, it is at ride height especially knowing that with these springs, it barely sags even with crap in the car and the whole family in it.

I should add though that my ground clearance may be slightly higher or at stock level since I am running 225 60 17 tires instead of 225/55/17.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=225-55r17-225-60r17

• 2 months later...
I am still very happy with it and do not regret the upgrade. I think it does make a noticeable difference given the fact that I also have the rallitek overload springs in the rear. Car handles real good and I am not afraid to push it (in a straigh line) on real uneven roads. It does inspire confidence and predictability. Corners are not bad either. Of course it's not an sti. But it's kinna lke one with comfort in mind. I wish I did this mod like 8 years ago :mad:.

So after significantly more time with this set-up what do you think of it? Dispatch was "ehh, not really that much better than a refresh" which way are you leaning?

I still find it only marginally better than the stock suspension. It's a huge improvement over a blown stock suspension which is why I think a lot of people rave about it. However, I find that the BTS kit still doesn't manage loads very well. On an empty vehicle it handles decent but any amount of weight and you definitely feel it. It's too underdamped to have a sporty, high-controlled feel to it. I think I've got around 20k miles on it. No indication of any issues thus far.

I think I expected a stiffer spring and tighter damping rate (like the Bilstein HD). Instead, it's just like the USDM Spec.B Bilsteins except now it has to deal with the wagon body with its higher center of mass and tendency to get loaded up with weight.

Bonbon essentially did what I think really helps it. He put on stiffer springs and and had the rears revalved (if I recall correctly). It just sounds like that is what I was expecting to originally get from the stock BTS kit.

Bonbon essentially did what I think really helps it. He put on stiffer springs and and had the rears revalved (if I recall correctly). It just sounds like that is what I was expecting to originally get from the stock BTS kit.

That's correct. I was not impressed either when I put the kit as is first. The rear still felt underdamped. I am glad I spent like 30mn over the phone with that bilstein rep to explain this very issue. So yeah, the revalving with the rallitek overload spring makes the car handles the way I like. I am really happy now.

I think all outbacks handle better with a lot more rear spring than from factory and then Legacy GTs. I replaced my Pinks with kings and my car feels a lot better now.

They handle better but the rear underdamped factor still sucks big man. I hated it. It made the car unpredictable in corners, hitting bumps, etc... Even after upgrading almost every single suspension bushings, rear sway bar, links, etc... I was unhappy with it.

They handle better but the rear underdamped factor still sucks big man. I hated it. It made the car unpredictable in corners, hitting bumps, etc... Even after upgrading almost every single suspension bushings, rear sway bar, links, etc... I was unhappy with it.

I don't repeat all what bonbon said, but I'm with him regards BTS in overall. Required rebuilding rear shocks though to get rear behave on par with front. Even under moderate loads. I didn't need to update springs though.

I think I expected a stiffer spring and tighter damping rate (like the Bilstein HD). Instead, it's just like the USDM Spec.B Bilsteins except now it has to deal with the wagon body with its higher center of mass and tendency to get loaded up with weight.

This is up to preference. I was worried that BTS would be too harsh and destroy all terrain, round the year performance. My previous car was rather good on tarmac but unpaved roads or winter time it was bad.

For me Outback is fast allrounder. Speed bumps as well as harsh winter conditions doesn't matter much. High speed driveability is good enough for normal or slightly spirited driving but it isn't a "sports car" in this essence.

Going down the stiffer suspension road is nearly never ending. You'll always come up with situations that it's not tight enough while many other occasions suspension would be way too stiff.

I still do understand that for some of us BTS is less stiff than preferred. However that's not a flaw.

How about taking all the shocks to workshop to be tuned up?

I should add that I also do some light offroading too :spin:. Not bad there either. I love dirt roads and slightly technical 4x4 trails. It's fun. So far no issue. although i will probably add 1/2" spacer in the rear and a bit more in the front.

• 1 month later...

Grabbed a local set of BTS this weekend :) (oddly fronts are 5058j and rear 5056j).

One of the rear is blown so I have to get them rebuild. I will bring the fronts as well to start fresh. There's a local shop that can rebuild to bilstein's specs but I want to correct the underdampened rears. Do you know how much they increase the rear dampening?

The BTS 5058J IIRC is scheduled for the JDM 6cyl Outback and the 5056J is for the JDM 4cyl Outback. Each BTS kit corresponds to the specific vehicle weight.

As there wasn't a 4cyl turbo Outback XT in Japan at the time, the heavier weighted USA Outback 2.5 XT turbo is closer in weight to the JDM 6cyl Outback of the day.

We continue to have BTS Ground Zero the MY05 Outback XT ... BTS kit and all.

Cheers, Mike

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at options. Shame Bilstein can't offer a specific package off the shelf for the height and weight of the USDM OBXT.

I'm guessing my KYB GR2 (00-04 rear) has 100K on them with original springs 200+K. During the change upgraded the front LCA bushing to the Group N equivalent.

Added to this recently is the Whiteline F&R Swaybars adding a huge improvement over the old.

Given the lack of options will probably just stay with the KYB and same springs this round. I can be the stock ride height control measurement. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I forgot I created this thread :lol:.

I did install these spacers, as well as 1" HDPE spacers in the rear. This is how she sits now. Note that the gap between the fender lip and tire is not very large because I installed larger tires. I have not measured the ground clearance but it has to be between 9 and 10" or about 10" even though it does not appear like it on the picture. I need to take a better picture.

IMG_20190217_124739.thumb.jpg.6dba937adf2f6d4050d4740104761ac6.jpg

1978985678_2018-07-0921-49-22(3933339648).thumb.jpg.f8a800b39a97886b17d130fd5d9b2e9d.jpg

Archived