LegacyGT.com

Bonbon's Bilstein BTS kit

Thanks tema for chiming in. Your rear seems to be a tad taller than the front, looking at your picture. Strange. Have you tried pulling a trailer, or loading the rear of the car with heavy stuff? If yes, did the rear sag pretty bad?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks tema for chiming in. Your rear seems to be a tad taller than the front, looking at your picture. Strange. Have you tried pulling a trailer, or loading the rear of the car with heavy stuff? If yes, did the rear sag pretty bad?

Pity I didn't take a pic other night when I had close to 100kg load in rear. There was some drop, very small though.

Currently as car has ca. 30kg in rear I'd say car is as even as possible. Also the picture I posted before: Not sure if car sat totally even on ground, maybe tad taller in rear or just even depending on ground.

It's stiffer in rear now even while in static conditions. Kind of strange but I'm happy!

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update...

I have yet to send the rear shocks to bilstein usa. About to do it this week hopefully :rolleyes:.

In any case, I asked them about the five settings we have in the rear. This is their response:

Yes essentially where the snap ring groove is where the spring seat will sit, but depending on the seat configuration should determine how far down the coil will sit in conjunction with the snap ring (most seats drop over the snap ring which makes the coil actually sit lower than the snap ring). Adjusting the snap ring location will alter the ride height due to spring pre-load or unloading the spring. The more preload (higher setting) tends to firm up the ride and will raise the vehicle. This appears to be a Subaru OEM unit, please know before adjusting ride height that transaxle angles will be compromised when doing so.

I know this is too late for you, but it might help someone else who wants a little upgrade to their suspension.

On my 2005 OBXT I did this:

Front: Installed new KYB -GR2 (20% more damping than stock)

Rear: Installed the KYB shocks for the 2004 Outback (longer and more damping than stock 2005)

I kept the original springs.

The car rides much better - firmer, more control, and it can handle more weight in the trunk and when towing. Overall cost, including front strut bearing, alignment, etc was about $600 IIRC.

Probably not as good as the bilsteins, but easy and inexpensive and perfect for a daily driver.

I know this is too late for you, but it might help someone else who wants a little upgrade to their suspension.

On my 2005 OBXT I did this:

Front: Installed new KYB -GR2 (20% more damping than stock)

Rear: Installed the KYB shocks for the 2004 Outback (longer and more damping than stock 2005)

I kept the original springs.

The car rides much better - firmer, more control, and it can handle more weight in the trunk and when towing. Overall cost, including front strut bearing, alignment, etc was about $600 IIRC.

Probably not as good as the bilsteins, but easy and inexpensive and perfect for a daily driver.

Yeah. I had these installed as well, with the difference that I had rallitek overload springs in the rear, as well as upgraded rear swaybar, endlinks, bushings, etc...

It was better than before, that's for sure, but still too underdamped to me and a bit out of control at times. I guess I may be driving too aggressively :rolleyes:.

edit: I should add that my trunk always has about ~150-200 lbs worth of stuff (audio equipment and tools).

Yeah. I had these installed as well, with the difference that I had rallitek overload springs in the rear

Ah ok - I can definitely see the Rallitek springs beings too much spring rate for those dampers. Thanks for letting us know of your setupQ

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update...

I sent my rear shocks to Bilstein USA for inspection and revalving.

I got a call from a technician and we talked for more than 30mn. It was great. They really want to make sure they will modify the shocks to meet your needs.

Now the problem is that they would like to know the spring rate of the bilstein rear springs (I did not send the springs to them, just the shocks). They told me that the Bilstein Japan does not share specs with Bilstein USA. Kinna dumb if you ask me..

So, does anybody know before I searched the internet? WRX USA, didn't you mention that Eibach manufactured these springs?

A quick update...

I got a call from a technician and we talked for more than 30mn. It was great. They really want to make sure they will modify the shocks to meet your needs.

Now the problem is that they would like to know the spring rate of the bilstein rear springs (I did not send the springs to them, just the shocks). They told me that the Bilstein Japan does not share specs with Bilstein USA. Kinna dumb if you ask me..

So, does anybody know before I searched the internet? WRX USA, didn't you mention that Eibach manufactured these springs?

With the weight you carry in your trunk, shouldn't you revalve them to a stiffer spring? The BTS springs are pretty soft.

With the weight you carry in your trunk, shouldn't you revalve them to a stiffer spring? The BTS springs are pretty soft.

That is actually the plan. But they would still like to know the spring rate of the bts spring.

Thanks.

For all of you guys who owns this kit, bilstein usa told me that we have the option to use a coilover sleeve for our rear shocks :cool:.

I quote: "The threaded sleeve sits on the external snap ring groove and allows you to set your ride height."

B4-BOA 0000117 COILOVER KIT,46MM;0;0.

Also, does anybody know if the Rallitek overload springs are progressive or linear? Rallitek is being slow to respond...

unnamed.jpg.79d3b76a43cd16682fa3b275357968ed.jpg

Nah, those are King springs which are progressive. Because overlord don't list a range I would guess linear. Coil over perch is awesome. Being able to set ride height is very cool. I wonder if we can add those to the HDs.

I guess if we machine them and add the snap ring groove. I want to do that the fronts too.

now that you mention it, the main drive for me to get the BTS kit is to maintain ride height. if i could get "local" bilsteins and still maintain some height, that would be the best of all worlds.

i still feel like the actual setup being tuned for the car is nice though, and with matching springs. sounds like a good package, just a little rich and hard to get.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

now that you mention it, the main drive for me to get the BTS kit is to maintain ride height. if i could get "local" bilsteins and still maintain some height, that would be the best of all worlds.

i still feel like the actual setup being tuned for the car is nice though, and with matching springs. sounds like a good package, just a little rich and hard to get.

I am indeed planning to maintain or slightly increase ride height. Will install these 2 inch AFD spacers in the rear and much thinner ones in the front.

"local" Bilsteins wouldn't work due to shock / strut length. Only the BTS kits have the longer Outback struts.

I just want to be able to convert normal Bilstein HDs to coil overs like the Miata folks can do.

It is a bummer that the spring rates for the rear are still too soft though. Unsure why Subaru (or the BTS kit) design the rear springs as if you never carry any weight at all in the back.

Exactly. Although you can adjust the preload though. So that would help a bit.

In any case, that is why I will attempt to install the Rallitek overload springs with the Bts shocks. I am crossing my fingers it will work out in the end!

"local" Bilsteins wouldn't work due to shock / strut length. Only the BTS kits have the longer Outback struts.

I just want to be able to convert normal Bilstein HDs to coil overs like the Miata folks can do.

It is a bummer that the spring rates for the rear are still too soft though. Unsure why Subaru (or the BTS kit) design the rear springs as if you never carry any weight at all in the back.

yeah, thought of the length issue a little after i posted. never a simple solution...

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Hey xt2005bonbon -

Good to hear of your Subi XT suspension solution escapades. .. Welcome to the club..... F' in Subaru bean counters with their penny pinching XT suspension/brake components.

Our '05 XT was "Ground Zero" IIRC discovering/sourcing the JDM only Bilstein BTS kit and subsequent fitment to the NA (USA) body-in-white Legacy/Outback chassis; Complete with NA Outback XT's unique ride height and random parts bin brake pieces. ..F' in Subaru USA.

The BTS has been installed for about 7 to 8 years now covering approximately 50k+ miles, all at hwy. speed, mostly half laden. .. Ultra light weight duty shuttling 50mi to the airport parking garage on a M, with a 50mi run home on a W or T. .. Tough duty Subaru ah!..... (presently fitted with Michelin Pilot Super Sport sneakers - just for kicks. Great sticky tire, super hwy speeds braking tire, wears is for crap <20k miles about)

Anyway. Times-they-are-a-changing.

If you would pass along the Bilstein USA contact info I'd greatly appreciate.

There's a new future in store as we plan to travel with the Subi OB XT as the dedicated camping mule. .. The additional weight of camping gear, 2 or 3 mtn. bike's and the added tongue weight of 75lbs-100lbs from an aluminum trailer.... all call for a beefier rear axle arrangement, a spec greater than the compliant, road worthy BTS kit set up. (trailer is the skeletal frame type rigging down two 250cc motocross bikes.)

The immediate plan is to work with Bilstein USA shipping the rear damper and the Eibach progressive coil spring etc. .. The new found coil-over sling gismo (B4-BOA 0000117 COILOVER KIT,46MM;0;0.) opens the enhancement possibilities substantially I'd say, nice find! .. There are Eibach springs/Bilstein damper rates galore ....

Is there a contact at Bilstein USA I should reach out too?

Cheers, Mike

A quick update...

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

• 4 months later...

Mike,

sorry for the super late reply on this... I will pm you the contact info. The guy was pretty knowledgeable and nice to talk to.

As for an update, car is still on jack stands cause I decided to change my clutch, take the trans apart 3 months ago, bla bla bla. New clutch is installed, trans back on the car. But I now decided to respray my rallitek springs :spin:. They looked awful (paint was peeling off and they began to have surface rust). No way I'd put these nice revalved bts shocks with ugly springs like that.

So once that's done, I should provide a review of the ride...

At least, I got my crosstrek wheels with 225/60/17 geolandar tires mounted last week.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP2BYQnjY7Y&t=2s]checking Yokohama geolandar 225 60 R17 tire clearance on subaru outback 2005 xt - YouTube[/ame]

• 1 month later...

Update....

I have finally put the car back together. It's been a week now. Took forever cause I changed the clutch/flywheel, fixed valve cover gasket on passenger side, took transmission apart to change some bearings and center diff, restored/resprayed rear swaybar and rallitek overload springs, installed new geolandar tires and crosstrek wheels.

The plan was to install the rear springs with 2 inch spacers as shown in the pic below. But it did not work out; it was stretching the rear suspension links way too much and the tires were rubbing on the springs and swaybar!

So the pictures you are seeing below of the car is with no spacers at all in the rear and 3/8 inch spacers in the front. Current height measurements from hub to fender:

FL: 42cm

FR/RL/LL: 43cm

Note that I am using the stock rear top hat so I can use the rallitek overload springs.

Screenshot_2017-12-23-10-55-48.thumb.png.961ed2502a8f9c372066290c481d0698.png

Screenshot_2017-12-23-10-56-12.thumb.png.dc6a7f8f419450078b4c121530a1a203.png

Screenshot_2017-12-23-10-56-20.thumb.png.93cd4ddc01f4b8ad8581d7ee0398718d.png

So how's the ride after rear shock rebuild?

Seems that your rebuild fixed rear height problem as well. Just same as with mine.

Update....

I have finally put the car back together. It's been a week now. Took forever cause I changed the clutch/flywheel, fixed valve cover gasket on passenger side, took transmission apart to change some bearings and center diff, restored/resprayed rear swaybar and rallitek overload springs, installed new geolandar tires and crosstrek wheels.

The plan was to install the rear springs with 2 inch spacers as shown in the pic below. But it did not work out; it was stretching the rear suspension links way too much and the tires were rubbing on the springs and swaybar!

So the pictures you are seeing below of the car is with no spacers at all in the rear and 3/8 inch spacers in the front. Current height measurements from hub to fender:

FL: 42cm

FR/RL/LL: 43cm

Note that I am using the stock rear top hat so I can use the rallitek overload springs.

Archived