LegacyGT.com

So I overboosted...fix?

stock MAP sensor is only 2.5 bar absolute so you can over boost fairly easily. You could install a 3.5 bar sensor or run a MBC

P0244 says he's overboosted beyond the threshold set in the tune, not hit the voltage limit on the sensor.

Ask your tuner to revise the tune.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I just did this and it fixed it...mostly. Engine light is off, and cruise control isn't flashing anymore. However, it still reads the P0244 code on my AP and I still can't go into sport Sharp. I can get into intellect now though.

EDIT: nvm, after idling for a few minutes sport sharp works now as well. Code still shows on my AP though if I look it up. Does that just not go away?

My understanding of codes is they will eventually clear after a number of "drive cycles". What constitutes a drive cycle is manufacturer specific. The specific code will also determine the number of drive cycles before the code is cleared. It goes something like this:

• The ECU detects a monitored parameter is out of specification and records a pending code. CEL is not illuminated
  • If the ECU detects the previous out of specification condition a second time it illuminates the CEL.
  • If, after a couple of times, the ECU no longer detects the out of specification condition the CEL is cleared. However the code remains stored within the ECU
  • After a certain number of drive cycles, typically 40, 80, or 120, the code is eventually purged from the ECU

I may not be correct on the numbers but the general idea remains. The code remains stored so that a technician can determine what monitored condition was out of specification even if the CEL is no longer illuminated. This would explain why you still have a stored code despite the fact the CEL is no longer illuminated. Of course using a tool to clear codes will do just that...clear them regardless of drive cycles.

Codes will be stored after they are no longer active. Have to clear the stored memory. Focus on revising the tune and seeing that it doesn't happen again vs. trying to bury the evidence.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Wow I didn't consider that haha I see what you guys are saying now. (Still a rookie turbo car owner) ahhh I hear tunes are expensive as hell though. Guess I gotta do what I gotta do

You are correct that tunes are expensive, however, cracked ringlands, burned valves, and other issues caused by overboost are even more expensive. I recommend you bite the bullet and make sure your tune is sound.

If you/they are confident on the tune, start checking for other issues that can cause overboost. These could include a binding wastegate arm, leaking boost control lines, or a hole in the turbo inlet letting in un-metered air. Smoke testing can show a lot of these issues as can a boost test.

Archived