LegacyGT.com

Stalling issue confirmed.

There is no perhaps about it the CVT is a second generation unit that is lighter stronger and over 100MM shorter.

As for the Airbag issue do you realize that Tanaka made them for just about every carmaker out there? That is millions upon millions of cars that need to be fixed. I got the same letter you did for my 2003 and until I was able to get it fixed, I did what they told me to do.... no front passengers. It was 3 moths for me to get it in and inspected (thankfully not needed)....

Tanaka made airbags for

Honda

Toyota

Subaru

Lexus

Acura

Ford

....etc

2003 here with 109K and the vibration is from aftermarket half shaft....

Yes I do realize other manufactures had the same air bag issue, however, they didn't have bad torque converters, leaky struts, bad oxygen sensors , AC that cant cool the cabin , rack & pinion needing replacement (both Legacy and Outback) ...and that’s just for starters.

I’m not upset about the airbag, I’m just perplexed about the letter stating I should refrain from carrying passengers, is that even possible?

Now I get another recall letter for a windshield wiper motor issue, could catch fire...if it was so tragic it would be laughable. I expect this from say Chrysler or GM vehicles but Subaru? To me this is very shocking and a totally wake up call for me to vet any vehicle I intend to purchase in the future instead of relying only on past performance of any vehicle , because it can be just that, a thing of the past.

Obviously you are unfamiliar with Honda and the rest of the car makers whom all have various issues. Honda for example has had ongoing transmission issues since the 1998 model year. Ford has problems with it's 5.3L, Subaru headgasets,

Imagine buying back in 2001 a 30K Acura CL type S only to have the car eat 2 transmissions within 71K miles (ask me how I know)

Subaru is telling you what to do to avoid possibly being killed while you wait for parts... Like I said I got the EXACT SAME LETTER you did... so I call up the dealer and they said 3 months... so during that time, no one sat in the front passenger seat

So you have to restart your car after every other stop light? I hope your regular commute doesn't involve a lot of stop lights.

No, because I try to remember that if have to I slow down faster than the torque converter can handle all I have to do is push the shifter into neutral for a hot second.

Obviously you are unfamiliar with Honda and the rest of the car makers whom all have various issues. Honda for example has had ongoing transmission issues since the 1998 model year. Ford has problems with it's 5.3L, Subaru headgasets,

Imagine buying back in 2001 a 30K Acura CL type S only to have the car eat 2 transmissions within 71K miles (ask me how I know)...

Been there done that, my wife's 2001 accord she bought new ate two transmissions within 70k miles. However, Honda stepped up in 2002 and extended warranties on their 2000-2001 automatics to 7years, 100k miles. The second replacement tranny is still going strong with over 130k on it (over 200k on car), the last 80k of that in the hands of my two nephews in high school and now college.

lawsuit.... Honda was sued and they extended the warranty an additional amount of time. I was part of 2 different lawsuits with my CL type S. It is believed that Honda did not issue the initial warranty extention, NTHSB would have forced a recall on the 5AT at a minimum.

Well, an update here. Subaru paid for the replacement of the torque converter. I received an email that I would be contacted by the dealer’s service rep and after a week and no call I contacted them. The person I was dealing with in the service dept., was clueless and had no idea what I was taking about. I asked him when the last time he checked his emails and he informed me a week ago. I said, check them and call me back. After 30 mins he calls back and said yeah, we got the parts bring it in. Didn't seem too thrilled he wasn't able to soak me for 3 grand. Anyway, just to make him even more miserable, I showed up with 3 recall letters. I believe Subaru is a bit worried about this problem with the bad batch of these converters as it could lead to a very serious accident. That combined with the low miles on my vehicle, is what I'm sure lead to their decision.

The service rep said most with the same issue usually get half paid for but due to the low millage on my vehicle and the fact I own 3 Subaru’s helped with my case. Who knows…I’m just glad they stepped up as I dreaded trading it in. I hardly got anything at trade in for the Outback which was surprising.

My dealer tried to reproduce the problem but said they could not. True, the car does not choke very often and stalled only once (in the driveway) but still I'm a bit nervous about it. About to run out of extended warranty but if nothing else, there is a record that we complained about it.

They said they cleaned the throttle body / injectors and it "idles better". I'm sure we will revisit this in the future...

My dealer tried to reproduce the problem but said they could not. True, the car does not choke very often and stalled only once (in the driveway) but still I'm a bit nervous about it.

Their are two issues.

The engine stumbles when coming to a stop when the brakes are applied. The engine in that case drop down a 25-50rpm. All the 2010-12 2.5i do this depending on the weather, even the 6MT do this. Their is no fix for it. I suspect Subaru did as low idle rpm as possible and certain weather conditions will make the engine run rough. Mine seem to do it a couple times in the spring and fall. On a day when it is happening, its pretty easy to reproduce, but often the next day it doesn't exist. (I suspect using the A/C eliminates it, it never seems to happen in the winter)

The other more serious issue is when the torque doesn't unlock coming to stop. The rpm will notice drop or the engine stall. Currently the only fix to is to replace the torque with the newer design. 2010 TC design has this issue, I am not if it was fix before 2011 or not, but it seems to be less common. It seems like some owners confuse theses two issues as being one in the same, so it is hard differentiate what years have which problem, but I know I have seen 2010 owners replace the TC due to the engine stalling.

Ah, thank you! I know our Legacy exhibits #1 since it was younger (but it has been getting more obvious, IMO). I made an assumption (likely wrong) - that the idle dropping so much is a TC issue that is getting worse.

Now - wife says she had #2 happen in the driveway but it has not happened since. And she did not think to tell me when it did happen. But I see what you are saying; it will be more consistent and there would be no ifs about it.

Regarding number 1 I bet its the rad fans getting old and drawing a lot of juice when they kick on. My GT started doing that and raising the idle 50 rpm with my accessport resolved that.

Unplug one of your radfans at a time to confirm which one or both is the issue.

• 1 month later...

(I know I'm digging the thread up)

My car is now out of extended warranty and of course, the situation has been getting somewhat worse. It was super close to stalling on me today, which is really annoying. I'll need to go to the dealer about this... again.

BTW, attached here is the TSB 16-90-13r as a PDF file, for this problem. Could come in handy!

16-90-13R New Lockup Torque Converter.pdf

APPLICABILITY: 2010-2012MY Legacy and Outback 2.5L and 3.6L Models

SUBJECT: Squeeking Sound Heard While Cranking (the stalling issue is also referenced in other issue documentation.

INTRODUCTION:

This bulletin announces a production process change to the starter ring gear portion of the torque converter assembly. To address customer concerns of a squeaking-type sound heard while cranking the engine, a change to improve anti-wear characteristics of the ring gear was made.

SERVICE PROCEDURE / INFORMATION:

Description PartNumber Transmission Notes

CONVERTER

ASSEMBLY-

TORQUE 31100AB172 CVT –

31100AB143 5AT –

CIRCLIP 805343020 5AT ONLY One-time use parts

O-RING 806920070 CVT ONLY

After confirming the condition, replace the torque converter assembly following the procedure outlined in the applicable Service Manual.

Archived