LegacyGT.com

STi Braided Brake Lines

agctr

Just curious regarding upgrading brake package. With the new LibertySTi not coming with an updated brake package, I was curious, if I was to upgrade the brake lines to STi Braided Brake Lines including new brake fluid, would this be a worthwhile and noticable mod.

Here is a link so you can see what I am talking about.

The braided lines are AUD750 or roughly USD700.

TIA for the advice.

Ada///M.

http://sti.subaru.com.au/SportsPartsSearchDetail.asp?model_id=4&model_year_id=22&category_id=0&part_id=16

I'm sorry, but is that right, $700 USD for ss lines? I have heard quotes around $350 for them, but $700 is crazy! Just order up some lines from the States, or choose another vendor. As long as they are decent they all are pretty much the same anyway.

As for improving the brakes, it would really only be in feeling & perhaps a little quicker initial response. In order to upgrade the setup, pads would be needed at the least. To truly upgrade them you should look for a BBK setup.

Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated.

I know it wouldnt make a HUGE difference but certainly it would improve feel and maybe distance. The price quoted is correct and these are for STi Braided Lines and not generic. I will be able to get them a little cheaper which is good but still expensive. I was disappointed that the LibertySTi wasnt coming out with the STi Brembo Kit so thought about going another way, hence the braided STi Lines.

Keefe, you have got any suggestions mate ?

Ada///M.

STi lines run $350 or so, based on conversion from Yen to USD and what vendors charge here for delivery to US addresses.

I have Cobb SS lines - they weren't a perfect fit due to the size of the LGT rear mounts. Easy enough to deal with, but at $225 not cheap.

I went with Cobb SS lines, Cobb pads and Super Blue fluid. Definitely an improvement in feel.....the pedal is more form and it feel like braking ability is improved. Never any tests to show a documented improvement, but I have never felt it lacking. If I had it to do over, I would get the STi Brembo kit for $1275 and new pads and lines for the rear as well.

Yeah that would be nice, unsure if they are selling it that cheap here in Oz, was quoted from STi for about $3.5K USD and that was cost......... so big markups by the sounds of it. With my contacts I can get it cheaper but u just have to work out, is it all worth it.

Thanks for the info again. Greatly appreciated.

Ada///M.

I drove Rony's car today to get an impression of the Perrin TMIC and protune.. The difference in brake pedal feel and performance is what I noticed more though. His car has stock brakes, while I upgraded lines, fluid, and pads. The Goodridge Lines I'm using seem fine. What about the STi stainless clutch cable? Would that help with clutch pedal feedback at all? That's one thing I miss after driving my friend's WRX STi.. the clutch feels so much more positive on that car.

Unsure to be honest Franz and unsure if the LibertySTi will have the STi Clutch Cable or not, well you would think it would. Still tossing up between the EAT and MT here at the moment, arrghhh its a PITA.

Thanks for the info on yr brake lines thought.

Ada///M.

Ahh ok thanks Dan, because when I got the quote thru from STi re the Brembo package, I almost fell over. Surely they arnt that expensive......... By that I mean, if u were to delete the Brembo package from the WRX STi (well here in Australia), it would bring the price down some 7K AUD...... that just doesnt seem right.

Anyway, thanks for the information guys, greatly appreciated.

Ada///M.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm still trying to sort this one out.

Any ideas on what, where, when and how I can slot the Brembos under the STi.

The 18" rims will fit the BREMBO's easily as shown directly on the Japan STi website but where, how much to buy here in Oz is another question.

I COULD go to STi Australia and ask but Im sure the shock of the price would take me weeks to recover.

TIA as always.

Ada///M.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone here in Australia interested in doing a group buy on STi Lines, if so, PM me directly as Im trying to do a deal with STi @ present.

Anyone interested in the BREMBO KIT, here is a link that Dan has suggested. VERY CHEAP, might be too good to be true. Has anyone purchased this as of yet and if so, how did the fitment go.

TIA

Ada///M.

Here is the link for anyone that is interested.......

http://mastrowrx.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=330

Adam - That link is for a front set of OEM WRX STi calipers with generic Brembo rotors, + decent pads, fluid and SS lines. They are a direct bolt-on for the front. No fuss. The rear Brembos from the STi on the other hand, need custom brackets machined to make them work.

'Edmundu' bought take-off calipers from NASIOC and sourced his own 2 pc rotors, pads and lines and had a local metal shop fabricate rear brackets out of titanium for about $100. His thread is in the 'suspension/brakes' forum, if you want to have a read.

G'Day I wish and Welcome.

Off to Darwin myself on Monday.

The 18's found on the LibertySTi will clear easily so no drama there, the standard 17's on the GT might be another issue.

Will send U a PM shortly.

Dan, yeah I now remember the thread from Edmundu regarding the HASSLE he had of getting brackets engineered to fit. It would be actually pretty good if u could put the current front calipers on the rear, would look a tad weird I suppose but would provide great braking power.

Thanks for the heads up Dan.

Ada///M.

Archived