LegacyGT.com

5EAT Transmission shifting concerns

1. From a cold start, I never drive in either Auto (D) or Sport Mode ( to the left of D ) because it shifts terribly. lightly slamming into each gear.

So for the past couple months, I have been doing "full manual" ( Forward and Back shifting.. I shift good and smooth.. should have gotten a manual :lol: ) until its warm enough that i put it into one of those auto modes, and then it shifts fine

2. If I am cruising on the highway (65/70mph) in Sport Mode ( to the left of D ) and come to a slow stop ( off ramp or something ) it lightly slams shifting down ONCE (either 5 to 4 or 4 to 3 or 3 to 2 )

I recently changed ( not flushed ) my tranny fluid about a month ago. The fluid coming out was a nice deep red color

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Edit: Bone Stock

Crappy shifting when really cold is a very common issue in these cars. Mine always lurches and jerks until it warms up, especially in temps below ~35°. How bad is it, does the whole car jerk a bit in one smooth motion, or do you hear metal clanking? The issue you have when slowing down is known as "shift shock", and it's usually the fault of the TCU. I should happen around the same speed every time, try and find out what speed that it and let us know. For example: mine has a bad shift shock from 4th-3rd that happens when decelerating. It happens at 21mph every time.

And just to confirm, none of his was an issue until you changed the fluid?

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Crappy shifting when really cold is a very common issue in these cars. Mine always lurches and jerks until it warms up, especially in temps below ~35°. How bad is it, does the whole car jerk a bit in one smooth motion, or do you hear metal clanking?i guess a smooth jerk of a shift, no metal clanking thank god The issue you have when slowing down is known as "shift shock", and it's usually the fault of the TCU. I should happen around the same speed every time, try and find out what speed that it and let us know. For example: mine has a bad shift shock from 4th-3rd that happens when decelerating. It happens at 21mph every time.

It does seem to happen at the same MPH while slowing down. I will see what the speed is. This only happens in Sport Mode though

And just to confirm, none of his was an issue until you changed the fluid?

correct :redface:

p.s what happens if you downshift in "manual" mode? Should it shift smoothly from lets say 4 to 3?

• I Donated Too
I used a fluid that the Subaru dealership recommended

What DID you use? Did the dealership recommend dish-washing liquid or did they recommend the OEM ATF-HP fluid which they sell and did you in fact use that or something else?

What is the level of the fluid? Did you measure what you drained out or did you assume how much came out and put it back like you might put back engine oil?

• I Donated Too

HP? Or ATF-HP - I mean you said red fluid so I am not considering you put regular HP in the gearbox but I have to ask...

It sounds fair how you checked the level before and after but it would be good to verify what the level is now (when hot) and make sure it's correct...

correct :redface:

p.s what happens if you downshift in "manual" mode? Should it shift smoothly from lets say 4 to 3?

In that case, none of this really seems too concerning to me. That's fairly normal for cold trans behavior. As for the shift shock, sometimes a TCU reset can help.. other times it just is what it is. (Assuming mechanically all is okay!) Downshifting in sport mode is a bit rough The whole point of sport mode is that the TCU switches to a separate set of maps that hold gear longer, boost line pressure, and execute shifts quicker. I wouldn't downshift aggressively very often, just because it can lead to more wear on the clutch packs.

They gave me HP for the Tranny

i replaced the same fluid amount that the dipstick read before i drained it, both with a cold block.

Make sure the bottle says ATF-HP and Idemitsu on it somewhere. That's the good stuff!

HP? Or ATF-HP - I mean you said red fluid so I am not considering you put regular HP in the gearbox but I have to ask...

It sounds fair how you checked the level before and after but it would be good to verify what the level is now (when hot) and make sure it's correct...

^What he said. the fluid level is supposed to be checked with a fully warm trans, on a level surface, and in park.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

after driving work to home (20 min) i put it in park, and confirmed 3 times that the fluid height is between the two dots of "warm"

and I think I also have a slight jolt from 4-3 just like you @ MTBwrench but at a higher speed ( mid 30s )

Archived