LegacyGT.com

Need help diagnosing weird power slippage

I've become worried recently due to a complete slippage of power in 2nd,3rd,4th&,5th when more than 45% throttle is used. I have an 05 LGT 5mt that is slightly modified, Perrin TMIC, Deadbolt 18g, STi Uppipe and a Lachute Turbo back. It only has 60k miles so I'm very anxious about what you guys have to say.

At first I assumed that the clutch was slipping. Tested that theory by starting the car,from a stop, in 2nd. Then in 3rd. This theory was debunked because the car didn't stall. The RPMs also didn't skyrocket while trying to begin moving forward.

While driving in 2-5 when I begin to hit boost the RPMs fly up but the car doesn't move. I'm planning on taking the car to GST Motorsports in the next month. Any help or advice you guys have to give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Books

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand your test. Starting in 2nd or 3rd gear is applying low torque to the clutch. Clutches slip when high torque is applied. Such as when you hit boost. So far this sounds exactly like clutch slippage; maybe you should have someone else drive it to confirm.

This theory was debunked because the car didn't stall. The RPMs also didn't skyrocket while trying to begin moving forward.

Methinks your theory is flawed...

While driving in 2-5 when I begin to hit boost the RPMs fly up but the car doesn't move.

Re-bunked. Definitely the clutch.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

• I Donated Too

Simple clutch slip. Don't over think it... we all knew it as soon as we read the title.

If you think it can't have worn down so quickly, it may have just glazed over - this will also cause slip. Time for a new one.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand your test. Starting in 2nd or 3rd gear is applying low torque to the clutch. Clutches slip when high torque is applied. Such as when you hit boost. So far this sounds exactly like clutch slippage; maybe you should have someone else drive it to confirm.

The only reason I did the test in the parking lot is because I was told that releasing the clutch while in 3rd gear should result in a drop in RPMs. If the RPMs don't drop, the clutch is slipping. In my case the RPMs dropped so it leads me to believe that it may not be the clutch. checked all my fluid and it seems to be fine. However I noticed, while I was listening to the engine a high pitched whistle coming from the turbo side near the top by the belts. I'm not sure what its coming from but I began to notice this when the power slippage began. The whistle is not coming from the turbo. Or at least I don't think it is.

...While driving in 2-5 when I begin to hit boost the RPMs fly up but the car doesn't move. I'm planning on taking the car to GST Motorsports in the next month...

This is textbook clutch slippage. You don't see slip at low torque, so things seem normal until you get into boost. Then, the clutch begins to slip and will keep on slipping until you get back off the throttle. There is no other cause for those symptoms that I know of.

It is only going to get worse until you fix it, so suggest you do it ASAP. It is dangerous to drive like that when you are in traffic.

This is textbook clutch slippage. You don't see slip at low torque, so things seem normal until you get into boost. Then, the clutch begins to slip and will keep on slipping until you get back off the throttle. There is no other cause for those symptoms that I know of.

That's exactly what I thought. The first time it happened I was 100% sure that it was slipping. I'm taking it in to GST to make sure it's nothing else, before I make any financial decisions.

I noticed, while I was listening to the engine a high pitched whistle coming from the turbo side near the top by the belts. I'm not sure what its coming from but I began to notice this when the power slippage began. The whistle is not coming from the turbo. Or at least I don't think it is.

Dirty air filter, boost leak, vacuum leak

Might be the muffler bearing.

But IMO you have a slipping clutch...I've only been driving manual transmission cars since I was 16 years old. BTW, I'm 62 years old now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived