LegacyGT.com

Considering buying a 2007 Audi RS4

Very preliminary post, but am curious about the forum's views...

A friend of a friend is looking to sell his 2007 Audi RS4 and depending on price and mileage (haven't spoken with the guy yet) I'm seriously considering buying it. Will obviously depend on how much he wants for it, and what the mileage is, but it sounds like he's a financially secure guy who is living in Asia and not using the car (or his Boston apartment, that he keeps, but isn't renting out), so I'm thinking maybe $$ won't be tight to factor in his decision.

I'm aware there were known issues surrounding the Dynamic Ride Control, so I'll check to see if he has had that addressed, as well as if the engine has been carbon cleaned recently, what condition tires and brakes are in, etc. And obviously I'll be having a trained Audi Tech give it a thorough inspection before anything is official.

Does anybody have any personal experience with these cars? Any other known issues I should look out for? I know maintenance costs will be expensive, but I'm kind of in love with this car already! An AWD, 6-speed manual, 420hp V8 that revs to 8250 redline and has 90% of it's 315(ish) torque available from 2200 RPMs sounds absolutely amazing!

Feel free to try and talk me out of this car...

Do they have the same timing chain issue as the s4? I know they have better chain guides but when they need to be replaced it still requires and engine pull. And a 1500 dollar kit. Dealers charge 6-8 grand for the parts and labor.

I think you should do LOTS of research on maintenance and potential issue costs. They are very very expensive cars to own. And don't fall in love with it before you own it, that emotion will taint your logic. I was considering a used S4 when I was looking to buy back in 2012 and my research steered me away. Spend some time on the Audi forums.

Thanks guys! I've been researching a bit, and will definitely fully vet this car before any decisions are made! I've googled "RS4 maintenance", "RS4 known problems", "RS4 engine troubles", etc, and none of these have said anything about the timing chain issue (which was on my radar as Audis have always been a car I like... Definitely still in the info gathering stage, and it's not that I already love it... But more that I'm loving everything I'm reading about it (performance/functionality-wise). But I fully realize it's a 10 year old car, from a maker known for expensive maintenance and repairs! I wouldn't really be considering it except it's a friend of a friend, and a car like this likely attracts gear heads who will drive it hard, but also (hopefully) maintain it properly too!

IMO, it's a wonderful car with major maintenance issues looming. Like, scary stuff.

If he's financially indifferent, he's probably willing to reason with you. If you've already made an emotional decision here, try to inject some logic... Say you want to buy the car but are afraid of engine-out service, or replacement. Take a fair price for the car (between trade in and private party usually works), then subtract the price of said repairs. Buy the car at the lower price, and put the difference in the bank for when worst-case scenario is realized. Then just enjoy your RS4 knowing that you have a funded insurance policy :)

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

^ Consider getting a third-party extended warranty coverage if you finance. For my legacy it cost 1600 for six years. bumper to bumper

Don't these 3rd party extended warranties usually not cover what you need them to cover? I always thought they were "bumper to bumper" (except for power train and suspension)... Or something like that?

My only 3rd party warranty was power train only and covered my cracked valve springs. The only time I ever used it. They did have a lot of questions about my shift light but I convinced them it couldn't have aided in valve springs cracking. They didn't say shit about my full exhaust, aftermarket pulleys, tuned ecm etc.

It's in the fine print, usually there is a list of "excluded items" and "wear items" which are typically the things that most often go wrong. There are also deductibles and coverage limits. Also, they will exclude repairs if they can claim abuse, neglect or "Acts of God" (strange concept to blame God for disasters).

Archived