LegacyGT.com

5th Gen GT - Power Roadblocks and Solutions

Given the scenario where you have both an E85 tune and 91 octane tune, what happens if you have a tank of e85 and then find yourself not having access to e85 and having to fill up right away or risk running out of fuel?

If i'm understanding correctly, the flex fuel option would automatically account for the mixture in the tank?

Thank in advance.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ Mucho Gracias FLlegacy.

But.. If I get just an E85 tune and a separate 91 octane tune, what would happen? Do I need to let my car run to empty and refill with 91 if caught away from e85 with a quarter tank?

Trying to do my due diligence before I consider an e85 tune. Sounds like waiting for a flex fuel solution is best so far.

I thought flex fuel still wasn't an option for us? Or has that changed?

Another Question for Fahr_Side:

I know I have read about 4 or 5 transmission issues that have occurred since joining the site, and with BBPeik working on an STI swap after his went, what have you observed with the stock tranny in what it can/can't handle?

At the moment it's Cobb in the lead on flex-fuel, with their bondage partners ECUtek sharing that technology. On Opensource there's a stable 16-bit solution in Carberry but the 32-bit patch isn't ready for prime time yet.

Note that Cobb's solution like others senses alcohol content in fuel and blends between two sets of tables according to that value, it's not binary. Note that means it cannot sense octane rating directly, so for example if you tuned for 93 and E85 you are not safe on 91.

Transmissions are a bit beyond the scope of my post and I haven't tuned any 2.5 liter cars on the mini-6MT or 5+1MT. They do okay on the WRX models but I don't see any reason it would hold any more torque than the old 5MT it's based on.

Edited by fahr_side
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

^ Mucho Gracias FLlegacy.

But.. If I get just an E85 tune and a separate 91 octane tune, what would happen? Do I need to let my car run to empty and refill with 91 if caught away from e85 with a quarter tank?

Trying to do my due diligence before I consider an e85 tune. Sounds like waiting for a flex fuel solution is best so far.

FWIW, I had separate tunes for 91 and e85. I switched back and forth a handful of times and never had an issue. When I went from 91 to e85, I would usually run rich for a short period until the fuel trims adjusted. Conversely, when I went from e85 to 91, I had a brief period where things were a little on the lean side but within perhaps 20-30 minutes of driving, the fuel trims adjusted again and compensated.

I normally drove the car with a lighter right foot for awhile after switching fuels until AFRs stabilized but it was never a big deal. I would say as a general rule it's wise to run out as much of the old fuel as you can, then when you do re-fuel and re-flash, just drive moderately until you see your fuel trim and AFRs back in line.

^ Thanks. What PSI are each of your tunes and is your engine stock headers and pistons?

My e85 tune had a peak of 23 PSI and my 91 octane tune peaked at 18.5 PSI. Everything from an engine standpoint was stock aside from the fuel system upgrades so I was likely pushing the limits of the stock head studs and thus the head gasket at those pressures. I never had an issue, but I also wasn't a very aggressive driver.

^ You've been e85 tuned for how long? How do the two tunes compare?

Might I suggest reading through his build thread that's linked in his signature? His first post there talks about getting ready for E85. I kinda feel this conversation is veering from the original topic for this stickied thread.

Lets stay on topic gents. Roadblocks and solutions. MrStacy, talking to you, bud. We don't need another thread here, especially a stickied thread, to be full of 5000 useless posts with banter not pertinent to the topic.

Does anyone have a idea of what vendors sell this type of turbo? Thanks in advance.

PM please.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Stock cat. We usually refer to the cat pipe as a J-pipe now, rather than downpipe, due to the geometry. The stock cat is very restrictive. Pushing boost past about 16.5 or 17psi creates very high EGBP (exhaust gas back pressure) which we can evaluate via exhaust gas temperature. High backpressure means the cylinders don’t get scavenged of exhaust gas properly which negates the benefits of squeezing more air into them. Stage 1 tunes top around the 230whp / 305wtq mark, mostly due to the restriction in exhaust flow and limited boost

Do we know just how restrictive the cat is? I wonder what kind of difference there is with a cat delete and tune vs a typical stage 2.

Do we know just how restrictive the cat is? I wonder what kind of difference there is with a cat delete and tune vs a typical stage 2.

Cat delete + tune = stage 2

• 2 weeks later...

No assumption necessary, it's been mentioned several times.

They fit directly with no mods. I would advise you to install the valve springs also. I don't know of anyone doing this mod together with a stock VF-54 though I don't foresee any problem. You'll pick up lots of midrange torque but the turbo will still fall on it's face up top. For sure you'll have to re-tune for the cams.

No assumption necessary, it's been mentioned several times.

To clarify, I didn't know if there was an upper end to the STI model years (i.e., 2008-20xx), and I didn't see that. Sorry if I missed it.

You'll pick up lots of midrange torque but the turbo will still fall on it's face up top. For sure you'll have to re-tune for the cams.

That's what I figured, but my wife will kill me if I buy an 18G along with the $3k+ engine rebuild, so it'll have to wait...

To clarify, I didn't know if there was an upper end to the STI model years (i.e., 2008-20xx), and I didn't see that. Sorry if I missed it.

That's what I figured, but my wife will kill me if I buy an 18G along with the $3k+ engine rebuild, so it'll have to wait...

Just send your core in to be built while you rebuild the engine and explain that it's necessary because it's a key part of the engine and it won't operate properly if you don't. [emoji6]

• 4 months later...
Hey I’m very new to this so please forgive my ignorance but from my understanding a car with an upgraded BPV, turbo back exhaust and the upgraded turbo mentioned should be okay to run with nothing else on pump gas, but mods like an oil to air, TMIC/FMIC, fuel pump and injectors will improve reliability/ cooling.???