LegacyGT.com

Southbend Stage 2 Daily Clutch ? Any input or opinions?

Upgrading the clutch setup on my 05 Legacy GT w/ VF52... Have been getting a lot of recommendations for the Southbend Stage 2 Daily but not many people have shared their experiences with upgrading to this clutch... :confused:

Improved Feel?

Any noise while engaging in first? Any squeals/noises at all?

Life expectancy? (Car will never see the track)

The clutch will be paired with a Subaru SMFW. Also interested in any recommendations... Thanks!!!

I have it.

Thoughts:

1. Pedal feel - I like it a lot. Slightly lighter than OEM. Easy to downshift / rev match. Sometimes upshifts feel strange / car lurches a little bit.

2. Engaging first no noise, BUT, juddering/shuddering seems to be normal. Uphill starts are a bitch. It took me over a year to figure out how not to burn it on uphill starts.

Finally settled on using the e-brake all the time. Magnusonsubie stalled my car 2/3 times trying to start up a hill and lurched it on upshifts. He literally only drove for 7 minutes though. So, it's not just me sucking.

3. Life expectancy. My year of burning it will have reduced it. No idea. At about 20k miles now.

Overall, I like it. But, first gear can be embarrassing. I liked the OEM clutch better though and want a 6spd so I can go back to the OEM clutch.

However, the clutch feel is good for stop and go traffic that you sit in for 1-2 hours. It's pretty light and your left leg isn't going to hate you for it.

I had the stage 1 in my legacy until i wrecked it for about 10k miles and was really happy with it. Felt like a stronger version of the stock clutch, smooth engagement but grabbed hard on shifts. Easy on the leg, and overall for the price i paid would buy one again. When my sti needs a clutch im def going with southbend

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

I have it.

Thoughts:

1. Pedal feel - I like it a lot. Slightly lighter than OEM. Easy to downshift / rev match. Sometimes upshifts feel strange / car lurches a little bit.

2. Engaging first no noise, BUT, juddering/shuddering seems to be normal. Uphill starts are a bitch. It took me over a year to figure out how not to burn it on uphill starts.

Finally settled on using the e-brake all the time. Magnusonsubie stalled my car 2/3 times trying to start up a hill and lurched it on upshifts. He literally only drove for 7 minutes though. So, it's not just me sucking.

3. Life expectancy. My year of burning it will have reduced it. No idea. At about 20k miles now.

Overall, I like it. But, first gear can be embarrassing. I liked the OEM clutch better though and want a 6spd so I can go back to the OEM clutch.

However, the clutch feel is good for stop and go traffic that you sit in for 1-2 hours. It's pretty light and your left leg isn't going to hate you for it.

Thanks! Seems like every aftermarket clutch has its down falls... which to me is CRAZY considering the pricing. I see you have an 08 so you never dealt with the OEM clutch and DMFW in the 05 LGT.

Is it even possible to purchase a clutch for these cars that is just going to perform like it is supposed to??.... No trouble on hills, No trouble upshifting, and no weird/unusual noises... I am starting to lean towards to Spec Stage 2+, I have been told it sometimes squeals in 1st but performs great otherwise...

Had the SB Stg3 Endurance - may be able to draw some parallels to the SB Stg2 Daily.

Following up on Rhitter:

1. Agree with pedal feel. Lighter than OEM, easy on the leg in stop-go, did not have any issues with down/upshifts after getting used to the pedal feel/travel.

2. Engagement. Very narrow sweet spot. Came with a SB LWFW, so it was super chattery in stop-1st. Hill starts were especially rough (sometimes, straight up embarrassingly gnarly). Would expect the SB Stg2 Daily to be chattery, but not be as bad with a SMFW. Get used to blipping.

3. Life expectancy. <25k miles. Was not happy with that at all.

Overall, I liked the clutch while it lasted, but not on hills. But factoring in the abysmal lifespan and poor customer support, there may be better options to explore/manufacturers to support.

Should note that I've gone with an AZP-recommended Competition Clutch Stg3 kit now.

I had the stage 1 in my legacy until i wrecked it for about 10k miles and was really happy with it. Felt like a stronger version of the stock clutch, smooth engagement but grabbed hard on shifts. Easy on the leg, and overall for the price i paid would buy one again. When my sti needs a clutch im def going with southbend

Yea so far no one has recommended using the Stage 1, not quite sure why.

Thanks!

I am starting to lean towards to Spec Stage 2+, I have been told it sometimes squeals in 1st but performs great otherwise...

I literally just pulled my 40k Mile (35K at 300+whp and 5k at 360+whp) Spec Stage 2+ clutch and LWFW from my car while it is getting a new motor. The clutch had approximately 15k miles of life left on it and seemed to wear pretty well but was noisy and took a little bit of getting used to with a heavy clutch pedal and some chatter. I also pulled a 24k mile Exedy stage 1 clutch from my other car that looked fantastic running approximately 260+whp. If you don't plan to run more than 300+whp skip the spec clutch and go with the 06+ WRX SMFW and Exedy stage 1 clutch. It is very streetable (very close to oem) and can hold stage 2 power very well.

Had the SB Stg3 Endurance - may be able to draw some parallels to the SB Stg2 Daily.

Following up on Rhitter:

1. Agree with pedal feel. Lighter than OEM, easy on the leg in stop-go, did not have any issues with down/upshifts after getting used to the pedal feel/travel.

2. Engagement. Very narrow sweet spot. Came with a SB LWFW, so it was super chattery in stop-1st. Hill starts were especially rough (sometimes, straight up embarrassingly gnarly). Would expect the SB Stg2 Daily to be chattery, but not be as bad with a SMFW. Get used to blipping.

3. Life expectancy. <25k miles. Was not happy with that at all.

Overall, I liked the clutch while it lasted, but not on hills. But factoring in the abysmal lifespan and poor customer support, there may be better options to explore/manufacturers to support.

Should note that I've gone with an AZP-recommended Competition Clutch Stg3 kit now.

Thanks for the input, I am beginning to think the Southbend is not the way to go no matter what stage.

Are you currently using an oem clutch? Why are you upgrading?

Honestly, for a stage 2 vf-52 I'd use an oem clutch.

I am currently using the 05' LGT OEM clutch with OEM DMFW. I had the clutch replaced with the same OEM parts at 90k BEFORE upgrading my vehicle with a VF52 + Stage 2 tune from TuningAlliance. It lasted just 55k miles, and is now beginning to slip. I feel that is too short of a life for a car that has never seen the track and doesn't get beat on. I am looking for something that feels better during daily driving and will last as long or longer.

Will the SMFW make a big enough difference by itself?

Are you currently using an oem clutch? Why are you upgrading?

Honestly, for a stage 2 vf-52 I'd use an oem clutch.

Some have good luck with the OEM clutch at VF52 stage 2 levels. I mean it's basically a stock WRX. I was smoking my OEM clutch with my VF46 at stage 2 levels when logging.

Sort of thinking I'll try OEM WRX again when this one dies. Unless I add more power.

So youre saying consider using an OEM clutch from a WRX? Which year range?

And the OEM clutch that you are smoking with a VF46, is that 08' OEM LGT clutch?

a bit confused on the wording of your reply. LMK, Thanks!!

I literally just pulled my 40k Mile (35K at 300+whp and 5k at 360+whp) Spec Stage 2+ clutch and LWFW from my car while it is getting a new motor. The clutch had approximately 15k miles of life left on it and seemed to wear pretty well but was noisy and took a little bit of getting used to with a heavy clutch pedal and some chatter. I also pulled a 24k mile Exedy stage 1 clutch from my other car that looked fantastic running approximately 260+whp. If you don't plan to run more than 300+whp skip the spec clutch and go with the 06+ WRX SMFW and Exedy stage 1 clutch. It is very streetable (very close to oem) and can hold stage 2 power very well.

Interesting.... I am surprised I haven't heard of doing this before... Everyone seems to recommend going after market Stage 2 or more....

The Exedy Stage 1, do you have a part number?

My car has 145k and will not be getting any more power upgrades.

I believe Rhitter is referring to the LGT OEM clutch, since a stg2+VF52 LGT is essentially a stg2 WRX (DP+stock turbo). Also, my OEM LGT clutch lasted >60k miles with a stg2+VF46 set-up (>250whp/270wtq). It didn't last very long once I breached 300whp though.

Yep sorry. I had a new OEM clutch single mass (I assume LGT), put in at 90k. When it came out at 120k for my engine rebuild. It didn't have a lot of life left in it. So, it lasted 30k miles.

However, if my Southbend only lasts 30k miles also, I'll go with the feel of OEM for equal life.

55k on an oem clutch seems reasonable at those power levels. Lots here are reporting considerably less life with aftermarket clutches with similar power.

If you go the WRX SMFW route, which you should, you'll need to use a WRX clutch.

I agree with Gex though, I've always had good experiences with Exedy clutches. I can't say that I've ever used their stage 1 WRX clutch but I have an oem Exedy sti clutch with my 6 speed and like it a lot.

I have the WRX version of this clutch with a SMFW. pedal feel is slightly stiffer than stock (coming from an OE replacement clutch). definitely a bit chattery if you slip it too much at low rpm. this is my first non oem/oe clutch so it took some getting used to. I've had it for under 10k miles so I can't speak to the life span too much.

if you're not getting anything bigger than a vf52 this might be too much clutch for your needs.

Interesting about the Spec 2+. My first 2+ was a heavier then stock but not bad compared to other clutches from the 1970's in V8's. My current Spec 2+ has a nice OEM pedal feel. It's been in there since March 2015.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You can also convert you 5mt to a pull type, grind away the the splines inside the bell housing and fit an OEM 6mt pull type clutch.

Only found one or two people who have done this though. I'll be back with links, because it looked like a fun idea.

Step 1. Convert to pull type

Step 2. grind the bell housing

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496150

55k on an oem clutch seems reasonable at those power levels. Lots here are reporting considerably less life with aftermarket clutches with similar power.

If you go the WRX SMFW route, which you should, you'll need to use a WRX clutch.

I agree with Gex though, I've always had good experiences with Exedy clutches. I can't say that I've ever used their stage 1 WRX clutch but I have an oem Exedy sti clutch with my 6 speed and like it a lot.

Do you have the part number for the WRX clutch needed to pair up with the WRX SMFW SUB12342AA090?

Starting to think OEM might be the way to go and hopefully the SMFW will be a nice improvement over the DMFW... Every aftermarket clutch seems to have some downfall and I think it will drive me insane.... I just cant imagine spending the money on parts/labor and then having a clutch squeal, chatter, or just not perform like it should with daily driving. I understand why many of you upgrade to aftermarket, but I did not realize all of the little things that come with it...

THANKS!!

You can also convert you 5mt to a pull type, grind away the the splines inside the bell housing and fit an OEM 6mt pull type clutch.

Only found one or two people who have done this though. I'll be back with links, because it looked like a fun idea.

Step 1. Convert to pull type

Step 2. grind the bell housing

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496150

Interesting... Thanks for sharing but def not the project for me, maybe someone else will find this helpful though, appreciate the input.

Do you think the Exedy will hold up better over OEM? Also, Any squeals? Chattering? Difficulty shifting? anything to know before I purchase... Thanks!!!

It was easier than my spec stage 2 and their lwfw. It's been a few years since I've driven an oem 05 GT but pedal feel was pretty good on the exedy I am reusing it as it had lots of life left. Pedal feel isn't bad at all on the Spec it is just more than the exedy which should be expected comparing the two disks side by side. The Spec flywheel is also much beefier than the wrx SMFW.

Archived