LegacyGT.com

Southbend Stage 2 Daily Clutch ? Any input or opinions?

55k on an oem clutch seems reasonable at those power levels. Lots here are reporting considerably less life with aftermarket clutches with similar power.

If you go the WRX SMFW route, which you should, you'll need to use a WRX clutch.

I agree with Gex though, I've always had good experiences with Exedy clutches. I can't say that I've ever used their stage 1 WRX clutch but I have an oem Exedy sti clutch with my 6 speed and like it a lot.

Does anyone have the part number for the OEM WRX clutch needed to pair up with the WRX SMFW SUB12342AA090?

Thanks in advance! Really appreciate everyone's input on this thread... I think OEM is the best option for me.... I pulled the file I keep on my Legacy and I actually had the clutch assembly replaced at 84k (VF40 Cobb Stage 2), The VF52 was installed at 107k, So with my car now at 145k+; I actually got 60k+ Miles on the OEM clutch with OEM DMFW. After hearing all the stories above, I guess I made out pretty well with the clutch life.

23k Miles w/ VF40 Cobb Stage 2

38k Miles w/ VF52 TuningAlliance Stage 2 Tune

To add more fuel to the fire, my original Spec 2+ was still going strong at 85,000 miles. That clutch had 73,000 miles at 19psi on the vf40 and 12,000 miles with the vf52 at 21psi. I replaced it because of the new SB.

After reading all the stories about the other clutches in these cars, I'm still in love with the current Spec 2+ clutch. It performs well as long as you don't baby it to much. If you don't like to run the car through the gears, every now and then, shifting at over 5500rpm to red line, may be a stock replacement will work fine. For my driving style, I have fun with the car but don't beat the snot out it, the Spec2+ is what I will put in the Spec B soon when it is due.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If my 5 speed holds up and after my southbend stage 3 daily gives up I will try a spec clutch ...or a 6 speed swap. Looks like spec clutch has a longer life. So far no issues with my southbend 20k miles to date/2 years

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

@ Max, what's wrong with the OEM clutch in the 6spd? I thought it was stronger, so no reason to switch to something else.

In general, I have never been a fan of stock clutches.

When/if I ever get rid of the wagon, the Spec will get a bigger turbo and fueling.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 year later...

Archived