LegacyGT.com

Backup camera

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket kit that plugs into the audio unit of a legacy (2014) that does not have navigation? My car does not have navigation. I am looking for a rear backup kit that would play through my audio unit.

If you have the premium 2014 that doesn't have back up camera (4.3" screen), most of the wiring should already be in the car. I think you would just need to ground one of the radio input for the camera and add a camera and harness in the trunk. The interior/audio section the forum has some posts about adding a camera to the various radio's.

• 3 months later...
I have a 2012 Premium and I really want to add a back-up camera to the car. I saw in the local Subaru forum the radio pictured below, does this unit support a backup camera? and is it compatible with my car?

2103411055_s-l1600other.jpg.c8daada6c3c96c330f34f41c1331426b.jpg

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rear-camera-input-5th-gen-hus-w-4-3-screen-218335.html

Svxdc is the person you want to talk to. He sold me the wire needed to setup the camera. I'm just not sure how active he is anymore. He was very tough to get in contact with in the past.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I looked into this a few years ago. Same thing with my car. Limited NO NAV. And I have the homelink mirror.

There is a coax cable up in the headliner and it apparently runs back to the trunk. But I was never able to figure out the installation of an OEM Subaru rear camera to project onto either: the stereo screen OR apparently there is a screen built into the homelink mirror.

Never figured it out...

thanks. The coax cable ends with a coax fitting that is not plugged into anything, up in the headliner above the front map lights (I had removed this to get 12V power for a radar detector and discovered that coax cable not connected to anything up there) And my satellite radio works fine (not that I use it)

The cable in the headliner could wiring be for a backup camera. Some 2013 Outbacks Premiums had a backup camera in the rear view mirror.

My 2013 Legacy 26i Premium is equipped with the back-up camera in the rear view mirror. Although about 1 time in every 10 the image it presents is upside - down!

Or, get an aftermarket dvd double din and add yourself a rear camera

That would be Plan B, as I noted I can get the OEM radio for dirt cheap so I figured I would explore what it would take to install.

Also, I have yet to see an after-market radio with a nice flush install on a 5th gen.

Another option that I was thinking about was doing a tablet install like they have done in the 4th Gen Legacy...has anyone tried this in a 5th Gen yet?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/nexus-7-tablet-install-dummies-guide-256557.html

Archived