LegacyGT.com

30K service

Been perusing the search box looking for 6th gen 30k service topics, found squat. Maybe my searchfoo sucks.

30k service is coming up quick so I was looking through the list, trying to decide how the dealers justify the cost of this "service". Anyone had it done yet? The only thing I see outside of a normal service during oil change is a few more inspection points (might take five minutes to perform) and replacing the air filter and brake fluid.

I'm old school and call BS on brake fluid replacement in a car that's 11 months old. The rest I can do myself for a lot less than the $300-$400 the dealer gets.

Discussion?

I actually had this done last week. I had them do the brake fluid, front/rear differential which cost like $70 each...the only reason I did this is because it keeps the warranty on them so if anything breaks then I am not paying out of pocket for something more than just $70. Probably wont ever happen but oh well. They did the inspection for free, and the oil change/filter was free. I also had them order a new center console since its covered by warranty since mine wont close...why not? I also have this really dumb click/clunk metal noise when I release the brake and they tried greasing the calipers but that didn't do anything. Anyways it cost me $220 for the whole thing and I got a lot done so it was worth it to me.

I also test drove a couple other cars too because why not if you're just gonna be sitting for 2 hours?

My experience in testing brake fluid's water absorption shows that brake fluid typically lasts closer to 4-5 years and 50-60k miles. At least in my climate with my driving on a variety of cars. I'd hold off on it or get a cheap tester if you really want to know.

I typically do 50k on good quality diff fluid. If you do the labor yourself (super easy), I would swap it out a bit earlier for the first change at 30k for just the price of the gear oil.

Cabin and engine air filters replaced at 30k.

I also have this really dumb click/clunk metal noise when I release the brake and they tried greasing the calipers but that didn't do anything.

It may be the brake hardware (clips) that are loose and shifting around. I had the same issue, tightened the clips, no more clicking. Maybe it's the same issue, if it helps...

If you do it yourself just keep receipts of all the stuff you buy. My friend takes his WRX to a Subaru only shop AZP installs Kenilworth NJ. This will be where I am going once my 30k are up. This will keep me in warranty and they perform the service for less than half of what the stealership wants.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I looked through the maintenance list for the 30k to see what was needed, that's how I know what I do. The BS brake fluid change is the only one I won't do myself as I don't have the proper equipment to do it properly but the rest is gravy.

Keeping the warranty happy is my desire but I feel like the price of the service is a rip off for what one gets. Were I car dumb I'd just let them do it, pay it, and move along smiling.

Just had it done last week. Paid $453 and that was with synthetic oil. Could I do it myself? Yeah ... but it is January, cold, and worth my time where I dropped off the car and they gave me a loaner for the day. That, and I had the two recalls done at the same time. And they washed the car. Worth every bit of my little free time ...

Be aware , look in the book to see service intervals... The dealer adds things on that Subaru does not call for.

I did notice a firmer brake pedal right away after a brake flush. Also the fluid was a little darker than new fluid, for what it s worth.

Archived