LegacyGT.com

Opinion on headers

Hey guys so I noticed a section about header wrapping but Im not sure what I want to do. I know that you can get benefits from keeping the engine bay nice and cool. But I also have done some research and have seen the downfalls such as your car taking longer to warm up in cold conditions. Or the header wrap causing the headers to reach Temps they weren't designed to reach themselves which is why they can't be warrantied if they have been wrapped. It also puts them through a constant heat cycle causing the metal to weaken and corrode. With the info I have I've been thinking about just not wrapping them but then it comes into what damage could be caused to my engine. Is the heat gonna cook my oil or rack and pinion? Should I worry about damage to any components in the car due to the head from the headers. What's your thoughts or experience with this one? It's a 97 legacy gt with the ej25 and borla replica uel headers

If you are really worried about heat get them ceramic-coated. Pricey though. But you'll get more life out of them.

Have had to replace hedmans on the dodge pickup as she was rotten when I got it. Looked hideous and was a major fire hazard. went back to stock manifolds in the end...

Or maybe you can just wrap the in a couple spots? Just where you think you need it

That's kind of what I was thinking. I was just worried with the oil and the rack an pinion. These headers wrap around the oil pan unlike factory manifold and I wasn't sure if it gets too hot. Also passes right below the rack and pinion and unlike the factory manifold the headers don't have that metal heat shield. I've already purchased them, just haven't installed them yet

I can't share an opinion on your build without seeing how close things are, but on my Turbo BRZ I wrapped the crap out of everything. I probably have $300 in heat management not including the vented hood. However, this is a front mounted turbo with the turbo and downpipe just a couple inches away from critical components. Even with full heat treatment I still had melted wires with running my rain guards in the vented hood, so the heat management is a mechanical necessity. On my NA 2.2L legacy I haven't done any heat management with my single port UEL, but I haven't monitored oil temps before and after or even plan to run this setup much longer. I honestly wouldn't bother with spending the money on heat management unless you're tracking it or live somewhere with crazy high summer temps. That's my opinion lol not sure if it helps.

got the ebay Borla knockoffs, they are holding up well. I've had them on for about a year now? Approx 15,000 miles and they are fine, no heat damage. I had to replace headgaskets, but that's just because my car was at that point where it needed them.

If you get headers, ceramic coat and/or wrap them. This will help the O2 sensors read more correctly and it also keeps the underhood temps much lower, not to mention that the oil filter will also stay protected from the excessive heat the header will generate.

I probably wouldn't wrap it with the idea that if the wrap gets wet and the car sits undriven for a while, I would think it would hold moisture against the metal and cause excessive rust. I've wrapped smaller things like bike headers and what not and in my experiences, after a year or so, it starts to fade and generally not look as good.

I just painted mine in a thick coating of VHT flameproof paint which is rated to 1300 degrees and called it a day, that way it protects a little from rust and looks a little better.

I got the speedy racer ones from this forum. Their the stainless steel. I'm not extremely worried about rust due to them being stainless steel but anybody I've asked around here just say it's a terrible idea because it puts your headers under a constant heat cycle and causes them to deteriorate. But again I'm not sure

The ceramic coat will stop the moisture from getting through and help keep the heat in, not to mention add structural integrity. Wrapping on top of that will help contain the heat even further. I'd rather do that than allow the ECU to make the engine run rich due to the super cooled header tricking the O2.

Archived