LegacyGT.com

NEW Nav firmware update 11-21-16 for 15 and 16 Legacy

So I just did the firmware update for my head unit in my 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i premium without navigation for TSB 15-205-16R with the revision on 12/21/20. The files I used were OU9313_USB_1st.exe and OU9313_USB_2nd.exe. Everything seemed to install just fine and I was using a battery maintainer while doing the update. I'm noticing one little issue however which occasionally happens. I have Sirius XM, and every once in a while when I start the car, the Sirius XM channel I had last selected will play, but there won't be any info displaying about the song title and artist, and when you use the tune button to try and change the channel, nothing happens. I will then change the source to the regular radio or bluetooth or something, which works fine, but then when I select Sirius XM if I want to go back to that, it won't do it...has almost a delayed beep too when you select Sirius XM. I found that by turning the head unit off and back on either once or possibly even a couple times, or stopping the car and turning it back on either once or possibly even a couple times, the problem goes away and everything works fine. Has anyone else experienced this? If this is going to keep doing this, is it possible to go back to the previous version of the firmware? That was working just fine for me. I still have those files as well. I should also point out that I installed the Gracenote Database update as well...TSB 15-208-17R...with the file GN_NA_13616.exe and that seemed to go smooth as well.

Did you do the "Memory Initialization" after doing the update? That's an important step.

You can reflash the same update, but I don't think the head units allow a flash to an earlier version. (I'm not certain, though.)

Did you do the "Memory Initialization" after doing the update? That's an important step.

You can reflash the same update, but I don't think the head units allow a flash to an earlier version. (I'm not certain, though.)

Yup...did that memory initialization step as well. This is so weird. I've now seen it actually display the song title and artist but when the station plays a different song, none of the info changes and it's hung up on that station...as mentioned before, you can't change any stations with the tune button.

I just tried sending a refresh signal from Sirius (while everything was actually working fine) so we'll see if maybe that has anything to do with it. This is such a bummer though. I'm hoping something didn't get messed up with the unit. I guess as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Everything was fine with the previous version but I just assumed it was best to have the most up-to-date firmware, and when I last did these updates, everything went fine, and this go around, all the steps seemed to go smoothly as well.

I guess I can try reflashing everything again. Not sure if I tried to reflash to the previous version if that would be a bad idea and really mess things up, or would it just tell me that I can't do that?

Anyway, appreciate the input!

Yup...did that memory initialization step as well. This is so weird. I've now seen it actually display the song title and artist but when the station plays a different song, none of the info changes and it's hung up on that station...as mentioned before, you can't change any stations with the tune button.

I just tried sending a refresh signal from Sirius (while everything was actually working fine) so we'll see if maybe that has anything to do with it. This is such a bummer though. I'm hoping something didn't get messed up with the unit. I guess as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Everything was fine with the previous version but I just assumed it was best to have the most up-to-date firmware, and when I last did these updates, everything went fine, and this go around, all the steps seemed to go smoothly as well.

I guess I can try reflashing everything again. Not sure if I tried to reflash to the previous version if that would be a bad idea and really mess things up, or would it just tell me that I can't do that?

Anyway, appreciate the input!

Do you think it's worth it to reach out to Subaru about this? Perhaps it's a new issue they need to fix and put out another revision with a firmware update? I imagine though once they find out I did this on my own and didn't get the files directly from Subaru, they will be mad and probably think I damaged the unit.

Do you think it's worth it to reach out to Subaru about this? Perhaps it's a new issue they need to fix and put out another revision with a firmware update? I imagine though once they find out I did this on my own and didn't get the files directly from Subaru, they will be mad and probably think I damaged the unit.

Ok. I think I fixed it. I ended up restarting the whole process from scratch. I re-downloaded the files, reformated the usb thumb drives, and put the files back on those drives. I then went back through the whole system update process again while my battery was hooked to a maintainer, and guess what...now everything seems to be working just fine! Keeping fingers crossed it stays this way. The one slightly different thing I did this time was, when unzipping the files from the .exe files, I unzipped them to my desktop and then dragged and dropped them on the USB thumb drive. The first time I unzipped them, I did it straight to the USB drive, and while they were transferring, every so often my PC would say it wasn't responding. Perhaps that created some corruption with the files. The second time when I dragged and dropped, the transfer process was completely uninterrupted.

Ok. I think I fixed it. I ended up restarting the whole process from scratch. I re-downloaded the files, reformated the usb thumb drives, and put the files back on those drives. I then went back through the whole system update process again while my battery was hooked to a maintainer, and guess what...now everything seems to be working just fine! Keeping fingers crossed it stays this way. The one slightly different thing I did this time was, when unzipping the files from the .exe files, I unzipped them to my desktop and then dragged and dropped them on the USB thumb drive. The first time I unzipped them, I did it straight to the USB drive, and while they were transferring, every so often my PC would say it wasn't responding. Perhaps that created some corruption with the files. The second time when I dragged and dropped, the transfer process was completely uninterrupted.

Well scratch that. It worked perfectly fine right after I did the re-install, but just went out for a quick errand and sure enough, the problem presented itself again. Uggghhh!!! So frustrating. I guess the only thing left to do before going to the dealer is trying to reflash the previous firmware I had on it. Has anyone attempted this before? Maybe I'll try calling Sirius to see if by dumb luck they have to reset something with my subscription. I bet if I go to the dealer the answer will be we need to replace your head unit $$$$.

Well scratch that. It worked perfectly fine right after I did the re-install, but just went out for a quick errand and sure enough, the problem presented itself again. Uggghhh!!! So frustrating. I guess the only thing left to do before going to the dealer is trying to reflash the previous firmware I had on it. Has anyone attempted this before? Maybe I'll try calling Sirius to see if by dumb luck they have to reset something with my subscription. I bet if I go to the dealer the answer will be we need to replace your head unit $$$$.

Well guess what everyone...assuming you have the files...you can flash back to a previous firmware version...glad I kept the old ones. So I went back to OU9312 and everything is working like normal again! Wooohooo! Big sigh of relief. Multiple times I have stopped and started the car and SiriusXM works no problem. Clearly there is some issue with the new firmware update OU9313 for a 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium with the Radio Headplate ID# FB685UM that's without navigation. Based on my experience here, I would highly advise against installing this latest firmware release...stick to OU9312. Hope this helps others out and saves many from the headaches I just experienced.

• 2 weeks later...
Well guess what everyone...assuming you have the files...you can flash back to a previous firmware version...glad I kept the old ones. So I went back to OU9312 and everything is working like normal again! Wooohooo! Big sigh of relief. Multiple times I have stopped and started the car and SiriusXM works no problem. Clearly there is some issue with the new firmware update OU9313 for a 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium with the Radio Headplate ID# FB685UM that's without navigation. Based on my experience here, I would highly advise against installing this latest firmware release...stick to OU9312. Hope this helps others out and saves many from the headaches I just experienced.

I'm having the same issue...is there any chance the OU9312 files are available anywhere?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey folks. It's been a while but just wanted to let you know about an important update with this firmware upgrade and my problem that I explained in a few previous posts. Think I finally figured out the issue for good, and it was so simple, yet so hard to come by the solution. Long story short is that there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with OU9313. I also didn't do anything to brick the head unit. I went to my local dealer and they simply tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes then reconnecting and driving for a little bit and this temporarily fixed the issue, but then of course it came back. They told me they had no idea then what was causing the problem and said I needed to replace the head unit. So guess what, I replaced the head unit, and wouldn't you know it the same darn problem started happening again. Fortunately I was able to return the replacement head unit and get my money back. I did some more digging online and came to find a recent TSB by Subaru titled 15-177-14R originally dated 10/16/14 but was revised on 06/25/21. This service bulletin specifically addresses weird issues that can happen with the head unit for the MY 2015-2017 and sure enough, on the last page of the TSB, the specific revision that they made involved SiriusXM locking up. Here is a link to the TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10198770-0001.pdf What it says is that SiriusXM will update their channel lineup occasionally and sometimes they end up removing channels. If you happen to have channels saved in your preset list/smart favorites, and these channels no longer exist, it can cause SiriusXM to lock up. Sure enough I checked and I had 3 presets that no longer exist, plus, they were set to Smart Favorites as well. I deleted them, and guess what, the problem seems to be fixed! I've driven a few short trips now starting and stopping car with SiriusXM staying as my audio source and it loads up and works just fine. Knock on wood this finally solves it! Talk about something so simple yet so hard to come by. It is a little frustrating that I went to the dealer only a little over a week ago, and they had no idea about this TSB which specifically addressed the problem.

Thanks for that. Just recently I started having issues with my SiriusXM. I don't use it much, but I'm going to guess that they changed the lineu and I have some channels saved that are causing issues. I was going to reflash my head unit and see if it would work better, but I guess I'll give this a try.

Thanks for that. Just recently I started having issues with my SiriusXM. I don't use it much, but I'm going to guess that they changed the lineu and I have some channels saved that are causing issues. I was going to reflash my head unit and see if it would work better, but I guess I'll give this a try.

Best of luck! I really hope this simple solution works for you! Hope others don't have to go through the crazy process I did to figure out such a simple solution. For future reference as well, here is the link to SiriusXM's complete channel lineup: https://www.siriusxm.com/channels

You can select what plan you have, then where you have all the different categories, just change it to "All" and it will show you every single channel that currently exists with your plan.

Deleting the SiriusXM presets (which except for one were the default channels that Subaru/Fujitsu puts into the head unit) cleared up my SiriusXM issues and it's working fine now. I'm going to grab that PDF file and put it in my Google Drive for future reference.

Deleting the SiriusXM presets (which except for one were the default channels that Subaru/Fujitsu puts into the head unit) cleared up my SiriusXM issues and it's working fine now. I'm going to grab that PDF file and put it in my Google Drive for future reference.

Yup! That was the same issue for me too...all the channels that were bad were the presets. Still frustrating that my local Subaru dealer had no idea about this when it was addressed by a Subaru TSB over a month ago. Just goes to show how important it is to have these Subi forums and members who are really into their Subis :-) All the best!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi brains trust.

I want to update my Australian Outback 2015 (2.0L Turbo Diesel) head unit firmware. I believe it's stock since I bought it. It's a budget non-nav version.

I downloaded the OU9021 off Jon's Google drive, and will be purchasing a couple of 4GB USB sticks to unpack them into... Do you think there will be any issue with the firmware given it's US version and not AU?

^^^ I strongly advise you not to upgrade an AU head unit with US firmware ... at least until you find someone down there who has done it successfully. One would hope that the pre-upgrade sanity checks would prevent you from doing it anyway.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

^^^ I strongly advise you not to upgrade an AU head unit with US firmware ... at least until you find someone down there who has done it successfully. One would hope that the pre-upgrade sanity checks would prevent you from doing it anyway.

Thanks for the comment, but what makes you say that? I'm genuinely interested.

Are they any different? It's not like it's got any mobile phone (cell) connectivity or any other hardware difference which would make them any different, are they? Would they be region-locked for any reason?

Does LHD VS RHD make anything different?

The only real difference I could think of maybe things might be spelled in American English, as opposed to UK English. But then, I have no idea how far the HU is integrated into the operation of the vehicle.

You folks in Australia have a wider FM (and possibly AM) frequency band than in the US. Although it might only mean you are missing a station or two, it might also be a different enough firmware to brick your radio. I can only imagine what other differences there may be with SiriusXM, etc. There may be phone issues as well, as the US FCC regulations are certainly very different from Australia's equivalent.

Is the radio model number the same as the one listed for the USDM Subaru that you grabbed the firmware for?

If you're willing to take the chance on bricking your radio, go for it. But please report back here whether you were successful or not, so others may learn.

You folks in Australia have a wider FM (and possibly AM) frequency band than in the US. Although it might only mean you are missing a station or two, it might also be a different enough firmware to brick your radio.

Very likely. I don't know about Australia, which is why I didn't post, but I do know that FM channel spacing (among other technical standards) is different in the European Union than here in North America. You have to assume that there is a legitimate reason why Fujitsu Ten/Denso Ten/Subaru publishes different firmware files for different regions of the world. Wishful thinking won't help here.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So this past week I used the files in Outback_Jon Google drive and updated the head unit software, the GraceNote software and purchased ($59, ouch!) updated Nav map software from Subaru. It all went pretty well with only minor hitches that didn't take much to figure out.

My advice? Be patient. Downloading the updates to flash drives or the Nav micro SD card and then uploading them to my vehicle took about 1 hour for each of the three.

A huge shout-out to Outback_Jon for providing the two update files. A local Subaru dealer quoted me $140 to update just the head unit software.

Edited by TheFixer253

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

According to the index at the STIS, there's a newer Gracenotes database available. (November 2021) If anyone happens to have an STIS subscription and can grab that database file, I'll upload it to my Google drive.

EDIT: Thanks to Accustiver, the new Gracenotes update is now available on my Google drive: (GN_NA_14108.exe)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZoxF0llKjYlQEQR-5GdN1VFDsodBgnvs?usp=sharing

Edited by Outback_Jon
Updated Google drive link.