LegacyGT.com

Whine / Howl at cold start, then stops abruptly after a few seconds.

That's sounds normal to me. I could not hear a howl.

My 05 will howl after I leave the driveway on a very cold morning for a few feet in 2nd gear. But it will stop that after a few seconds. It's been doing that for about, ever.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That's sounds normal to me. I could not hear a howl.

My 05 will howl after I leave the driveway on a very cold morning for a few feet in 2nd gear. But it will stop that after a few seconds. It's been doing that for about, ever.

Have you owned or heard a N/A cold start? There is a very distinct difference between my new 07 and my 08 N/A.

Almost sounds like a Turbo (turbo self test. Just want to make sure it is normal and not a problem I need to be aware of.

If normal, what is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friends at the ski house have NA Outbacks... if that means anything.

Over the years of ownership I have noticed my 05 GT makes different noises then my 09 Spec B and the 2016 3.6R Outback.

See if it's temperature related. Seeing your in NC, dose the temps get into the low 20's F or colder ?

You may be hearing the air pump for the first few seconds. 07-09's have them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Friends at the ski house have NA Outbacks... if that means anything.

Over the years of ownership I have noticed my 05 GT makes different noises then my 09 Spec B and the 2016 3.6R Outback.

See if it's temperature related. Seeing your in NC, dose the temps get into the low 20's F or colder ?

You may be hearing the air pump for the first few seconds. 07-09's have them.

It has been above freezing since I got it a couple of weeks ago and has done it every time on a cold start regardless of ambient temp.

I am planning on taking it in for air pump recall next week. I'll note before and after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...
What is the secondary air pump for? Dealer just replaced the relay under recall. I still hear this sound upon cold starts regardless of the temperature outside.
The air pump injects cool air into the exhaust manifold to reduce emissions at startup time, especially when the engine is cold.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM546139/RCRIT-16V738-2254.pdf

Archived