LegacyGT.com

OOPS - Drained CVT fluid...

sooz

Fall 2015 - I do my first oil change to my 2015 legacy...except I drain the CVT fluid. This is what I get for not double checking I have the right drain plug... Had the car towed to the dealer where the refilled the fluid...for a cool $400

Fast forward to present day: when the temp drops to around freezing and until the car has warmed to at least halfway to run temp, I have very little power and the revs shoot straight to 3K. The car doesn't upshift, or whatever CVTs do, and even when I get up to speed the engine still wants to rev really high with not a whole lot of power. If I'm going highway speed and coast (engine still cold) the RPMs drop down to idle speed for a second or two, then pop back up to where they should be.

Once the car is at run temp everything is perfectly fine. Car also runs fine through the summer.

What is going on? I'm sure I messed something up draining the fluid.

Fall 2015 - I do my first oil change to my 2015 legacy...except I drain the CVT fluid. This is what I get for not double checking I have the right drain plug... Had the car towed to the dealer where the refilled the fluid...for a cool $400

Fast forward to present day: when the temp drops to around freezing and until the car has warmed to at least halfway to run temp, I have very little power and the revs shoot straight to 3K. The car doesn't upshift, or whatever CVTs do, and even when I get up to speed the engine still wants to rev really high with not a whole lot of power. If I'm going highway speed and coast (engine still cold) the RPMs drop down to idle speed for a second or two, then pop back up to where they should be.

Once the car is at run temp everything is perfectly fine. Car also runs fine through the summer.

What is going on? I'm sure I messed something up draining the fluid.

To me it seems like you describe the normal warm-up behavior mode of the engine/gearbox - all revving and nothing happens until a certain temperature level is reached.

453747.png

Sounds like normal warmup. If a CVT uses a torque converter like a typical auto gearbox, then much of that con be chalked up to the TCU not initiating converter lockup until fluid has reached operating temp. My 5 speed auto will keep revs in the 2500rpm range and do all kind of funky things in the cold, until its warm.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Archived