LegacyGT.com

So I had a shop replace my turbo...

Not to hi jack this thread, but don't believe everything Subaru tells you. Its well known the factory tune can/will cause burnt valves or broken ring lands.

My 05 wagon has been off the stock map since 8000 miles. The heads have over 234,500 miles and the all the valves are great.

Once your confident your engine is healthy you want to get it off the stock tune. contact http://www.tuningalliance.com for the tuning and parts needs. They are one of the greatest tuners with these cars. Yea, Mike is that good.

I want whatever tune you've got then lol. I remember you telling me about swapping for an uppipe without a cat which i'll be doing soon. I just want full on reliability. Don't care for more power. Just wanna look good & have this thing run for years with proper maintenance. Anyways yeah i feel like i'm now hijacking the thread too lol. I'll keep in touch for future questions. thanks

Ehh, the damage was already done with them OEM turbo. Everything else so far is just a stop gap measure. Sure, he will probably keep blowing turbos, but if he can get 20k out of them and they cost $500 to replace. That's not too bad. Sure, he is driving around with a broken engine that is slowly damaging itself. But the car works.

The problem will be when he goes to sell it. Either hide the fact that it needs a whole new engine, or fess up to it and be out a couple $1000.

Agreed. It's an 11 year old, mass-produced car. It was never meant to run forever, despite what we all want to believe about Subaru's. Run it until it dies, then get another one.

Agreed. It's an 11 year old, mass-produced car. It was never meant to run forever, despite what we all want to believe about Subaru's. Run it until it dies, then get another one.

That's the basic idea. Though I must say I've been highly amused with the comments basically suggesting that I go VF52 on a new short block :spin: I'll just trade it in and buy a new one if I'm going to drop that kind of cash! Which is actually my plan...

With a properer tune & maintenance. These cars are good for hundreds of thousands of miles of reliable fun IMO:cool:.

Oh what do you know...I'm only at 234,600 miles. ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived