LegacyGT.com

Options when you don't have a garage. Or tools.

My dad was a mechanic on exotics for about 20 years, so I grew up around cars, and would occasionally help him out with some projects. (Minor projects- I only saw him on weekends.)

That said, I'd love to start working on my GT, but I live in Boston, and don't have a garage. Or tools. Or skills anymore, for that matter.

This is going to sound totally asinine, but I'd like to replace my stock pads, and throw in a Crucial downpipe, but I am not sure how to get this done. Do I just buy the parts, and take them to a local shop, and ask them to install them?

How do I go about finding a reputable shop in my area?

Blaaaaaaaaaaaah.

:rolleyes:

http://www.dentsport.com/ is probably one of the top Subaru shops in the country, and they are only 10 miles from downtown Boston. NASIOC folks love them:

Props to DentSport Garage (DSG)

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863950

And if you are going with a DP, might as well go with an UP at the same time. Save you time if you do it yourself, save you money if you have somebody do it.

-B

Ramps = $19

Socket set = $19

That's really all you'd need for the downpipe install :). Actually, you might want to go jack and two jackstands instead of ramps since you have to suspend the wheels for the brake pad install, and stands would work fine for the DP.

I'm supremely confident that you could do the labor without problem :).... but it sounds like you have a great shop in the area anyway!

Jeremy

• 1 month later...

Voyetra8, forgot to ask the Dentsport folks if you had come in yet. Just got back from picking up my car from them....woohoo!

Nice to have such a great place so close. Check out the vendor review thread on them over at NASIOC: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861253

They know Subarus, offer reasonable rates, and can give you a ride/pick you up from the Commuter Rail station, hehe. Most importantly though from the I perspective, they are willing to talk shop with you and answer your questions, no matter how n00bish you may be (and I consider myself pretty damn n00bish :D).

-B

Guest *Jedimaster*
You don't need tools or a garage. No guy has all the tools he needs. This is why we make friends. Friends bring tools and help with install. You provide beer and lunch. You also are obligated to help with an install on said friends' car at a later date, or to cover for him when his wife asks if he was with you all weekend in Vegas (when you know he was banging hookers). Whichever comes first.

You don't need tools or a garage. No guy has all the tools he needs. This is why we make friends. Friends bring tools and help with install. You provide beer and lunch. You also are obligated to help with an install on said friends' car at a later date, or to cover for him when his wife asks if he was with you all weekend in Vegas (when you know he was banging hookers). Whichever comes first.

^ Every once in a while, jedi goes softie on us, and puts up a post that brings tears to one's eyes. :icon_bigg

What he said, +1. :) Organize an install-day, find someone to host. The Scooby community is a very tight-knit one, and good-times are to be had by all on such days. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Bah... just go to Home Depot and pick up one (or two) of every tool they have ;) I've managed to accumulate most every tool I could need over the past 10+ years. My garage is a little tight, but at least I almost never have to go wanting for the right tool for the job.

This set is a great start and will have most things needed for work on your Subaru. It's a great price now and makes a great Christmas gift for your car:icon_bigg. With that said a set of metric Gear Wrenches and you're well on your way.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00933263000&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets

Rick

Archived