LegacyGT.com

Car Stalling after Start Up

This all started happening when I took the car in to check for rattling in the passenger seat. I noticed there was a loud rattling noise coming from the engine bay. I pulled over and saw this tool that was left inside my engine bay. It was obviously forgotten but what were they doing in my engine area for a seat rattle? Maybe a fuse?

The issue is when I start the vehicle, it stalls after a heavy vibration for 3-5 seconds. If I go to start it again the vehicle operates normally. Would that tool that was left have anything to do with this? The dealership has had my car for 4 days now and I'm a little worried since they told me that they are seeing the codes and the issue but can't figure out how to fix it. How would you guys handle this?

This is the tool that was left in the engine bay

http://i.imgur.com/7HZVdwD.jpg

They might of disconnected the battery during service. Make sure all the terminals are back on properly.

If not, take it back in, give them their tool back and start asking questions.

I returned that tool about 2 weeks ago and they told me it was a clip pulling tool. He gave the tech who left it in the car a "good talking to". Battery is definitely connected and I even clean the connectors just in case.

The issue started happening the next day after I left that service department and has gotten gradually worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would ask those questions to the service manager.

Can you see if all your plug wires are fully on?

I am a little confused about the timing and chain of events.

I would hope that over the course of 4 days they would have checked that. When I see then on Monday I will mention it.

Not to slam on the dealer service centers, but I learned long ago.... find a really good ASE certified master mechanic, and pay the extra few bucks an hour to have him do the work. They can troubleshoot in ways that would make most service centers curl up in a corner and bawl.

Every single time I have had my car repaired by a dealership, they acted like they basically had no idea what they were doing. From Chevy to Jeep, and even Toyota on one occasion.

Once I found myself a top notch mechanic, every time I have taken my car to him for repair, it has never had to go back for the same issue. The guy builds and races dragsters in his spare time, so he "knows" engines.

Leaving a tool in the engine compartment is a sure sign you need to go find a real high quality mechanic ASAP.

P.S. fuel pump, or regulator might be going bad.

Not to slam on the dealer service centers, but I learned long ago.... find a really good ASE certified master mechanic, and pay the extra few bucks an hour to have him do the work. They can troubleshoot in ways that would make most service centers curl up in a corner and bawl.

Every single time I have had my car repaired by a dealership, they acted like they basically had no idea what they were doing. From Chevy to Jeep, and even Toyota on one occasion.

Once I found myself a top notch mechanic, every time I have taken my car to him for repair, it has never had to go back for the same issue. The guy builds and races dragsters in his spare time, so he "knows" engines.

Leaving a tool in the engine compartment is a sure sign you need to go find a real high quality mechanic ASAP.

P.S. fuel pump, or regulator might be going bad.

Thanks for that tip. I was looking to not pay out of pocket hopefully since I have a great warranty and the car is only 8 months old. I just purchased the car brand new in March. I hope that one of those items aren't going bad.

So I just received the car back and they said they were unable to find the issue. The codes that came back were B2A0E and B1410 . I can't seem to find the first one online anywhere. They told me to not to be alarmed and if it happens more frequently to bring it back.

So I just received the car back and they said they were unable to find the issue. The codes that came back were B2A0E and B1410 . I can't seem to find the first one online anywhere. They told me to not to be alarmed and if it happens more frequently to bring it back.

I would have laughed and told them that's not how this works, and if they had codes but no way to determine issues I'd be going to SOA about it. Unbelievable.

I would have laughed and told them that's not how this works, and if they had codes but no way to determine issues I'd be going to SOA about it. Unbelievable.

I'm really sick and tired of this whole process. First during the purchase process with with the "fibbing" on the purchase price, we have had rust issues on the roof that they need to take care of already. The autobody shop that Subaru sent me to quoted $2700 to fix and now this. They are making me feel like I'm being too particular.

Why in the world would this thing be throwing a code from a SUBARU computer that SUBARU can't identify? What in the hell.....:spin::spin::spin::confused::confused:

The problem is not "Subaru" the company, it's the service center which is usually owned by the dealership or some other subcontactor.

If you walk back into the service center, you will readily NOT find mechanics over the age of 30 years old. Many of these fellas are young mechanics that have recently gotten their licenses (or perhaps still apprentices) within the last couple of years, and really don't have that much experience yet. 100% of the work they do literally requires them to break out the book, and follow the procedures, step by step. And believe me, they tend to skip steps, usually by accident. And they don't use the book because they want to double check their work, but because they "need" the book in order to do the job.

It is not uncommon for these younger mechanics to read codes off the computer and simply not know what they are. A very experienced mechanic wouldn't say a word to you about what a code is, unless he already researched it, troubleshot the problem, and knows exactly what's causing it.

In my many years of dealing with mechanics, one thing I have learned is that dealer service centers generally have the least experienced and least competent mechanics, that are best relegated to doing general maintenance on your car, like oil, brakes, etc, and not serious mechanical issues.

The best and most competent mechanics, are the ones who are experienced enough to literally own their own shops. Even though they may cost a few bucks more, they are experienced enough to garner real quality service, and customers who will return for future service without being worried about dropping their car off. They know it'll be in good hands.

In fact, the mechanic I go to, actually has the local Subaru and Toyota dealer regularly drop off cars to fix under warranty, because the dealer service center simply can't figure out what's wrong with it. So, they give it to the real experts outside the service center.

You may want to search around a little bit nearby the dealer, and see if there is an Master mechanic with his own shop. You can always tell when he is on the floor working himself with the other guys around him, and the shop will be very clean, and in good order, but the work bench will be loaded with various parts and tools. Ask him if he does any warranty work for the local dealership when they have trouble fixing issues. This may be the guy you want to talk to. Then, go back to the dealership, and see if they will let you take it to someone with more experience and pay for repairs under the warranty.

The fact that the service center left tools in the engine compartment and then said they weren't sure why a code is tripping in the ECM, is a sure sign you need to get the heck out of there pronto.

Sounds to me like that tool may have arced between the +/- battery terminals or one of the terminals and another ground source while the car was running. As a result it may have fried or damaged the BIU, ECU or the alternator voltage control circuit. It's on them for sure for leaving that tool there.

I agree with the dealership not having many experienced mechanics. I even saw a guy with a Lincoln Tech shirt on. Not to knock them but this is an investment for me and not just some project for them.

I am very pleased with my Service Center at Maestro Subaru. Very knowledgeable and they are Subaru enthusiast, owners and moders.

Laughter is the key to happiness

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Well my car didn't stall after start up, but it did crank for a long time and then fired extremely rough, I have had the car in the dealer 5 times for different issues and then never could give me an answer. Pretty frustrating and annoying.

if you are near bloomingdale, nj check out happy's garage ii. i always took my cars to him when i lived in near. he is reliable and trustworthy. he also builds and races his own cars which was a plus in my book. ask for jeff.

http://happysgarage.com/home/2702369

I am in Westfield but will travel. Let me see what SOA will do for me.

Thanks for this.

that's out of the way for you. i have a friend that lives in montclair that has a spec-b. he is very particular about his car and don't let just anybody touch it. let me also check with him and see what he recommends... but yes wait for soa. they broke it they fix it imo. don't let them off easy. keep us posted.

Archived