LegacyGT.com

CVT Cooler

For what it's worth, I'm using OBDLink LX with an Android Phone, and ActiveOBD has my CVT Fluid Deterioration Rate at under 3% at 85k miles on my Outback. I'm thinking there may actually be some truth to it, though the value itself is experimental. Someone recently did their own fluid changes and sent the sample to Blackstone for analysis, and even Blackstone said there was nothing out of the ordinary aside from the expected break-in silicone and to run it at least another 100k before doing it again. They said they had 100k in hilly San Francisco traffic, and the computer's CVT DR was 22% as a point of reference.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ATF/CVTF Deterioration % estimate (not really a rate) is an SSM-over-CAN TCU param thats been around for years (at least 2005/6) and is about as useless and inaccurate as estimated fuel economy, VE and similar calculated params/fields/PIDs.

The only thing that matters with these slushboxes is average and mode CVTF/ATF temps as well as time spent north of say 200-210F, during the lifecycle of the fluid fill.

To a lesser extent, car use and driving style, finally valve body channels and solenoids and TC internals health as these age (say @ 60, 80, 100K miles) with no easy or direct way to monitor that 'health'.

What got me thinking about it is I'd to take my car to the local track for some laps occasionally. Not slamming around the track trying to make time but a quick pace to have a little fun and not worry about getting a ticket. Since I'd be using the paddles and putting the transmission under stress it normally wouldn't encounter I thought it couldn't hurt.

What got me thinking about it is I'd to take my car to the local track for some laps occasionally. Not slamming around the track trying to make time but a quick pace to have a little fun and not worry about getting a ticket. Since I'd be using the paddles and putting the transmission under stress it normally wouldn't encounter I thought it couldn't hurt.

Correct me if Im wrong, but Im assuming you've never been on a track and you also dont know that your auto insurance will cover exactly 0% of any damage incurred at the track. So you could be minding your business, doing laps like Morgan Freeman driving Ms. Daisy around and some jalopy E36 M3 loses it trying to pass another car, wiping you out, your insurance company will queue the black guy with the deep voice to tell you to pound sand.

Dont ever put anything on a roadcourse, drag strip, or other type of track that you cant afford to crumple up and walk away from. Either that or find somebody to write insurance for your car on the track, but it wont be cheap.

The ATF/CVTF Deterioration % estimate (not really a rate) is an SSM-over-CAN TCU param thats been around for years (at least 2005/6) and is about as useless and inaccurate as estimated fuel economy, VE and similar calculated params/fields/PIDs.

The only thing that matters with these slushboxes is average and mode CVTF/ATF temps as well as time spent north of say 200-210F, during the lifecycle of the fluid fill.

To a lesser extent, car use and driving style, finally valve body channels and solenoids and TC internals health as these age (say @ 60, 80, 100K miles) with no easy or direct way to monitor that 'health'.

Right but I believe the estimate is determined by the temperature over time. In my circumstance I’ve noted that my temperature never really gets above 120°F by the time I get to work or the same return trip back home. I have not done any extended I was driving it, but I believe that my short commute of 10 miles contributes to the long CVT fluid life so far.

Correct me if Im wrong, but Im assuming you've never been on a track and you also dont know that your auto insurance will cover exactly 0% of any damage incurred at the track. So you could be minding your business, doing laps like Morgan Freeman driving Ms. Daisy around and some jalopy E36 M3 loses it trying to pass another car, wiping you out, your insurance company will queue the black guy with the deep voice to tell you to pound sand.

I'm already well aware of all that and have priced track insurance. Can't you go annoy someone else instead?

I'm already well aware of all that and have priced track insurance. Can't you go annoy someone else instead?

Furrr-real??? Wow. Didnt realize you were so on the ball.

For the rest of us that might be interested, can you tell us which carriers you've looked at and what pricing is for a 6th gen Legacy?

Are there any technical, weather, or racing class restrictions/limitations/exclusions?

For anyone who wants to stay on topic and not be a troll I welcome their input on a CVT cooler.

Cmon Hoss, contribute to the forum. I think track insurance is a topic that is not commonly well understood. Please inform us of your research & recommendations. Feel free to start a new thread if you dont want to derail this one.

Cmon Hoss, contribute to the forum. I think track insurance is a topic that is not commonly well understood. Please inform us of your research & recommendations. Feel free to start a new thread if you dont want to derail this one.

Perhaps you should start a thread since you were the one to spout off with your track knowledge. I'm sure you love educating people and setting them straight. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should start a thread since you were the one to spout off with your track knowledge. I'm sure you love educating people and setting them straight. :rolleyes:

I truly do like passing information to people, but I also love learning from people. So please, teach me, what does an track day insurance policy for a 6th gen legacy cost, and what does it cover? Any specific carriers you would recommend from having looked into the matter?

Found the ignore button so that's resolved.

I'm going to consult with my mechanic and most likely move forward with this. He's installing my suspension stuff right now so when I pick up my car tomorrow I'll see if he can knock this out for me. Through SubaruPartsDepot.com the components are only around $150 and the install shouldn't cost too much. May not matter much in the end but I like the peace of mind.

• 5 weeks later...

Do you happen to have a copy of the installation instructions? I’m interested in installing this if you were successful in doing so on the 2018.

If you ended up running on the track, did you notice any differences in temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you happen to have a copy of the installation instructions? I’m interested in installing this if you were successful in doing so on the 2018.

Instructions are here http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5527878&postcount=13

Parts arrived today and I dropped my mechanic a message. Probably get it completed next week.

That link is broken, that’s why I was asking if there were some other instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that link works, see if your computer is blocking it (source: I just clicked on it...and it worked)

This is where it goes:

http://www.challengepromotions.com/Wills/Legacy/Legacy%20CVT%20Cooler%20Install.pdf

I truly do like passing information to people, but I also love learning from people. So please, teach me, what does an track day insurance policy for a 6th gen legacy cost, and what does it cover? Any specific carriers you would recommend from having looked into the matter?

I use Hagerty, Lockton is also a good one. Track day insurance covers your vehicle up to the amount you choose, it also includes damage to the track (wall or Armco damage, track surface damage including cleanup) up to the chosen limits, and towing home (up to 500 miles depending on coverage). Coverage for my '16 3.6R, including modifications up to $36,000 was around $215 for a track weekend. The higher the value chosen, the higher the cost. The coverage only covers you for incidents ON TRACK, your normal auto policy covers you off track.

I use Hagerty, Lockton is also a good one. Track day insurance covers your vehicle up to the amount you choose, it also includes damage to the track (wall or Armco damage, track surface damage including cleanup) up to the chosen limits, and towing home (up to 500 miles depending on coverage). Coverage for my '16 3.6R, including modifications up to $36,000 was around $215 for a track weekend. The higher the value chosen, the higher the cost. The coverage only covers you for incidents ON TRACK, your normal auto policy covers you off track.

Good info. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Quick question for those who take their cars to track day. Do you think the vehicle would benefit from a low temperature thermostat or can the car handle the sustained high temps? Maybe even a higher rated bar radiator cap?

Engines rarely blow up due to a bit too low temperature so I'd go for the colder thermostat and also make sure that there are no obstruction on the airflow for radiator.

If you replace the thermostat - flush the engine and radiator as well to get rid of accumulated sludge.

453747.png

MrCobbs pickup the 21200AA072 OE thermostat and new gasket, keep the stock radiator and radiator cap and since your car if effectively new, leave the super coolant alone, just top off and burp if need be.

Once you get to t00ning, have the tuner adjust the radiator fan modes to match the early and full opening spec of the new thermo and done.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4989095&postcount=14760

Archived