LegacyGT.com

Creaking sound from rear while turning at slow speeds.

I have an 05 Legacy that's making this creaking sound that sounds like its coming right from under the back seat on both sides. It only happens while taking slow turns (left or right) and I have to hit a small bump to notice it, like turning into a drive way with a curb. I can make slow turns all day in a flat parking lot and won't hear it.

While the car is in park I can jump on it, push it down as hard as I can and rock it back and forth and can not get it to make the sound.

Lots of things I've read point to the sway bar bushing and end links but I looked under the car and they all look to be in pretty good shape. I even greased the bushings and that didn't help. What else can I look at, or what else could it be?

Did you just look at the endlinks? They could look fine and be completely shot.

Yes, they did look fine. Rubber was all intact and didn't look brittle/cracked. I see they're only like $20-25 so maybe I'll just replace them and see if it fixes the prob.

You're talking about the bushings. How about the bearings in the endlinks?

No, I was talking about the end links. They looked fine on the outside, but like you said they could be shot inside.

Would this be the easiest thing to do: just disconnect the end links on each side and go for a test drive?

It is most likely the inside bushing of the lateral link that adjust the camber. I have the same issue and will be installing the whiteline kit to replace it. It is a known issue. The rubber bushing seizes to the inner metal sleeve and doesn't allow for adjustment. In the chance you take it to get a rear alignment makes it worse when the bolt gets rotated along with the bushing.

Mine makes a similar sound. For a while, I thought it was a tophat bolt loose from one of the rear shocks. It sounded like it was coming from that area. I replaced the rear shocks, checked and rechecked bolts, replaced swaybar endlinks and swaybar bushings, but still can't find it. I've narrowed it down to something in the rear seat or rear decklid area. It happens when the car flexes, as you mention, when turning into or out of parking lots or driveways.

Archived