LegacyGT.com

Need some advice on potential engine issues

Isn't retarded timing normal? Pretty much all of my street cars will retard nearly 12 degrees under load. Then advance when you lift.

I'll standby and learn me some turbo tuning.

The issue their talking about is the ecu adjusting timing beyond the commanded values. The timing can vary quite dramatically but should still be on target. The ecu has the ability to compensate by advancing or retarding the timing at any point if the knock sensors pick up too much or too little noise. They shouldn't be approaching knock at this point in the process so it would point to a mechanical issue.

I have an 03 Subaru Legacy that tries to start but won't idle. It was idling last night and the idle would drop down and then pump back up to normal operating. Now it just fires and dies. We replaced the fuel filter and test the pump it's getting gas up to the motor. Pulled the plugs and there is spark. Its throwing a misfire code for cylinder 1 and 3. Not sure what to look for next.

Thank you for any input

I have an 03 Subaru Legacy that tries to start but won't idle. It was idling last night and the idle would drop down and then pump back up to normal operating. Now it just fires and dies. We replaced the fuel filter and test the pump it's getting gas up to the motor. Pulled the plugs and there is spark. Its throwing a misfire code for cylinder 1 and 3. Not sure what to look for next.

Thank you for any input

Start a new thread in the 3rd gen section and someone will be happy to help.

As west_minist said check all your hoses and leaks. If you're talking to me. Yes yes and yes.

The issue their talking about is the ecu adjusting timing beyond the commanded values. The timing can vary quite dramatically but should still be on target. The ecu has the ability to compensate by advancing or retarding the timing at any point if the knock sensors pick up too much or too little noise. They shouldn't be approaching knock at this point in the process so it would point to a mechanical issue.

Excellent explanation. Interested in seeing cause solution.

• 4 months later...

Quick update.

Driver side is 3 1 tooth off. :redface:

Freaksej.jpg.c13770d73785b6424dbaf198eaef130a.jpg

driiver.thumb.jpg.a851aa8e1b672923c2dddd38141e9441.jpg

passenger.thumb.jpg.059c0d5bf9487a3638ec0769eb91b52e.jpg

And the wastegate has a hairline crack. Fairly common from what I've read.

[ATTACH]247934[/ATTACH]

I'll tear the driver side down and see what happened.

So how did it get one tooth off ?

Who assembled the timing belt ?

Have you let Dave know ?

Looks like a lot of piston to wall damage for this low miles.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread but have checked in every now and then.

is that a stock ej255 ?

Ok I see this from above,

Here's the engine build list.

Manley Pistons

STI Forged Crank

ARP head studs

ACL Crank + rod bearings

Perrin Turbo Inlet

Reused OEM forged rods from an 04 sti(stock from the 05 lgt)

Do you have the build sheet from the machine shop ? What was the piston to wall clearance ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So how did it get one tooth off ?

Who assembled the timing belt ?

Do you have the build sheet from the machine shop ? What was the piston to wall clearance ?

We reused the belt. It had been replaced once before within a year so we both felt it was safe. Apparently not. It likely jumped

My brother did the build and sadly I do not have the spec sheet. He's been a Diesel mechanic for about 10+ years now. I do not doubt his skills to read tech specs and the fsm or to build a motor. He rebuilt his own motor on a ej20 as well and it never had problems.

The machine shop honed it out. I believe the took as little as possible off, although this doesn't help without numbers. Edit. Checked my receipt. Ordered stock size

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/mahle-wrx209917i22-forged-inverted-dome-pistons-99-50mm-bore-47405.html

Heads they claimed they rebuilt completely. Valves, springs, slight port on the valves. Cost me close to a grand.

Have you let Dave know ?

Yeah, he's been keeping an eye on the thread and I've been emailing him back and forth. He thinks oil starvation on he cams.

Looks like a lot of piston to wall damage for this low miles.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread but have checked in every now and then.

Pistons look okay besides the one shiny spot in pic number 6

At this point I'm going to take the other side off and see if it's similar. It's starting to look like inansb but I still need to send off my oil sample.

Thanks for the feedback !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forged ? the machine shop should have measured each piston and bored the cylinder to match with a correct piston to wall clearance.

That's how's my buddies machine shop does it.

I believe the end gaps of the rings get a bit wider also.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Then the next issue would be the tune...but I think Dave is better then that, he knows his stuff.

Is your fuel pump delivering fuel at the correct rate ? If your not, getting the correct fuel flow to cool the cylinders can be off. We had a intermittent signal to the fuel pump once that didn't show up until the worst possible time. We lost 4 CP pistons in a very short time.

Edit, just reread this and made a simple correction, I first posted this very early in the AM.

Dang, that sucks.

I can't say for sure. Everything I saw pointed to the correct fuel pressure at the rails. Although a bit shaky,

this shows I was hitting close to target, and around 65PSI WOT.

Dave did mention a few times it looked like it could be a lack of fuel. I was running a DW65c and Perrin modified 816's. I have ID 1000's and 07 top feeds oem sti rails I'll be putting on this next round.

Planning to take the other head off today so i'll post some pics this evening hopefully.

Archived