LegacyGT.com

Need to replace struts all around on 05 OBXT

Its time for some suspension work. I'm planning on replacing the front lower control arms as well as the rear lateral links in hopes of solving straight line stability and new struts to help provide a more planted and less bouncy ride.

I know there are lots of recommendations on lowering to Legacy ride height etc, but I want to keep stock ride height so I'm looking at either the 05-09 or 02.5-04 struts. I'm just not sure which way to go with this and am looking for recommendations and feedback from people who have gone one way or the other, or who have tried both.

Current mileage is 122k and what appears to be all original suspension. I'll also be replacing strut mounts, end links, and sway bar bushings.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I've had good luck with KYB on other cars for an OEM or slitghly stiffer damper.

If you're having straight line stability issues, I would look at the front bushing on the rear trailing arm. I was having ghost walking issues and I found out one of the bushings had rotted away due to being a salt-belt car (around same mileage too).

Thanks, I'll have to look into the trailing arm bushings. I'll be going with KYB, just undecided on 04 vs 05 struts.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I thought they were the same as well. Can anyone confirm? If they are taller is it just the rear or both front and rear that are taller?

I have the 04 on mine. The car did not seem to rise after the install. In terms of being a bit stiffer, I'd say meh. Not impressed at all with these KYB, but we don't have a choice if we want to keep OEM USDM ride height :mad:.

What don't you like about the 04 struts? Did you go with 04 front and back or just in back?

I thought they were the same as well. Can anyone confirm? If they are taller is it just the rear or both front and rear that are taller?

The struts between second gen OB and third gen and the same physical size. the 05+ OB was about 200 pounds lighter and I think most of it was in the rear. So the 05+ struts are valved differently which is under-damped for some.

The rear springs tend to be too soft for many also. If you vary from loaded to unloaded a lot you will not have consistent handling. For some overload or king springs are the answer. It frims up the ride and limits the suspension travel between loaded and unloaded.

Check here: http://www.rallitek.com/1151-oe-height-springs

The overload spring were out of production when I did my work. I went with LGT wagon spring and 05 struts in front with 04 struts in the rear. Bushings all around and larger RSB.

Peace,

Greg

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to do this as inexpensively as possible as I'm in grad school and am only working part time right now. I'm still going with quality parts, but I'll be using KYB struts. I think I'm going to try and get the Rallitek rear overload springs.

I'm fairly certain you could add spacers on top of Koni's, or even instal Koni's with Legacy specific Rallitek raised height springs, which should be about an inch drop for the US spec Outback. I have considered that route, but scratched it because I previously installed Konis' on my old 06 Legacy and while the car handled like it was on rails it was very uncomfortable to ride in.

I'm sticking with KYB struts all round this time around. I'm leaning towards 04, but might go with 05. I plan to order the parts in a week or two. Still pricing everything up and debating on getting a set of standard height Rallitek rear springs.

Old thread. I did 04 KYB rears on my 05 Beaner. It raised the rear about an inch. The car rides nice. They do a good job at damping oscillations and maintaing tire contact. They perform as expected.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

I compared a 3rd gen bilstein and a 4th gen bilstein rear struts, the former was about an inch longer as I stated. The suspension geometry between the two generations are *similar* but not the same. Maybe its different with the outback struts but the guy above seems to confirm it...

If you're aiming to keep the stock height, I would stay away from the Legacy length struts, spacers can help maintain the static height, but you're leaving about another inch of strut travel on the table, which defeats the purpose of staying at stock height IMO (lost suspension travel).

• 1 month later...

I'm still in the buying phase of putting Konis into my 2.5i Outback and I too was looking for stock height... due to cops profiling anyone with a noticably lowered vehicle as a "riceboy: pull over and ticket". It can be done with some pretty thick top mount spacers and longer bolts. I'm actually going to allow a ~1" drop so I don't have to go too crazy with spacers.

So far I've bought koni front inserts, rear shocks, rear king springs ("standard height" KSRS-29), the whiteline rear camber kit (KCA399), various bushings, and I'm already into it $1000. Still need new bellows, top mounts, the spacers, and professional installation, AT LEAST another $500.

If you are willing to spend that you might just want to look into coilovers which will let you get the car corner-balanced, unless you want something maintenance-free.

Primitive Racing sells uprated KYB shocks and struts that are rebuilt to have a longer stroke, and stiffer damping, pair really well with standard height rear King Springs and and regular Outback front springs, will save you BUKO bucks over the Koni setup and a lot of people are quite happy with them. Just another option for performance upgrade and dead-stock ride height (and preserve stock suspension travel! The konis sacrifice a couple inches of travel).

I was advised to check things like the rear forward lateral links, front LCA rear bushings, rear trailing arm forward bushings, and swaybar mount bushings and they are all in good shape. So I will pass that recommendation along... Maintenance over mods!

If you're aiming to keep the stock height, I would stay away from the Legacy length struts, spacers can help maintain the static height, but you're leaving about another inch of strut travel on the table, which defeats the purpose of staying at stock height IMO (lost suspension travel).

That is a good point that needs to be considered but aside from suspension travel there is also ground clearance and even with reduced travel maintaining stock height for ground clearance might be desirable. I would rather drive clean over an animal in the road than mash it into my undercarriage.

Also like I mentioned before maybe it's just to maintain discretion. If I do Konis at stock height, squeeze the LGT big brakes under the 17" OB wheels, and drop a WRX motor with a FMIC and fenderwell air intake, no cop would ever know just by looking at me that I'm a potential target for a speeding ticket.

• 2 weeks later...

The rears were done on my 05 using 04 KYBs. Not bad. Still kind of floaty. Installed rear 20mm stabilizer bar. Better.

I am planning on the front struts and mounts next. As a result of the Outback suspension being stretched from the factory, some +caster is lost. I like to have better steering feel and feedback with a bit of caster. Has anybody tried the offset strut mounts from W.L.?

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr85/smstavros/whiteline%20caster%20camber%20strut%20mounts_zpsk6z6eobe.jpg

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

I ended up doing 04 KYB struts all around, new strut mounts, Mevotech front control arms, Doorman rear forward lateral links, and rear RalliTEK standard height overload springs. MY OBXT rides so much better now it's not even funny! It sits higher than I expected. Some people said the 04 struts provided about 1" lift while others said their right height didn't change. IDK, but mine is definitely lifted now. I parked next to a buddy's 05 OBXT with stock suspension and mine is noticeably taller.

Unfortunately, we discovered my rear toe bolts are seized and the front struts need to be slotted in order to get the alignment correct. So I'll have to do that before too long.

Archived