LegacyGT.com

Early timing belt replacement?

Thanks for the advice guys I think we are going to have everything done around Christmas wile Mrs. Spif has a few days off and won't need the car for work. I'm going to take it to Prestige Subaru. Years ago they stood by my sister's Mitsu 3000gt and I'm hoping that they are still as good as they were.

Call Mike @ AZP Installs, Kenilworth, NJ (Exit 138 GSP) Vendor here!

He's a straight forward guy, very knowledgeable and helpful.

I've bought parts from him and I'm on the west coast.

Note: I replaced my timing belt @92K & 100 months

Call Mike @ AZP Installs, Kenilworth, NJ (Exit 138 GSP) Vendor here!

He's a straight forward guy, very knowledgeable and helpful.

I've bought parts from him and I'm on the west coast.

Note: I replaced my timing belt @92K & 100 months

Well there's two people the say AZP. See post 14 for a link.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I am sitting at 92,xxx and 8yrs and from the forum it seems like it maybe tume to change the timing belt and water pump. Also, reading about the idlers and not sure what that is...overall do you recommend taking it to the shop or just diy...i have done the oil changes, spark plugs, struts, etc minor things but this job seems kind of big...

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I am sitting at 92,xxx and 8yrs and from the forum it seems like it maybe tume to change the timing belt and water pump. Also, reading about the idlers and not sure what that is...overall do you recommend taking it to the shop or just diy...i have done the oil changes, spark plugs, struts, etc minor things but this job seems kind of big...

It's a big job with terrible consequences if you get it wrong. There are DIY's threads with lots of info and pictures.

Do you have a good place to work on the car if you DIY ? I did mine in the driveway in Sept 08.

Tell us where you live, we may know a good shop ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I watched the 23min video that someone posted under timing belts and it was very detailed and gave me an idea of what i would really be getting myself into.

In response to your questions, I do have a nice garage space and my wife's car if I end up needing to use it...lol but should i just spend the $979 and have the Subaru dealer guarantee the work is what I am saying...is my time worth more is what it comes down to...i would like the experience and be able to save money and say i did it but is it worth the risk also...

I am down in the baltimore annapolis area...

Thanks again for your response!

If I had a wide array of tools, I would have tackled it myself,though when it came to lining everything up I would have been a bit nervous. I researched all OEM parts, purchased them and took it to my reputable independent Subaru shop, labor was $367.00 I replaced both radiator hoses, both accs. belts, thermostat, water-pump, idlers, tensioner, gaskets, timing belt and my crank pulley with a Kartboy one ( different worry on OEM). Hard to believe a dealer will replace all parts that should/can be changed at the same time for $979 incl. parts. I have a parts list somewhere if you need it PM me.

** I think PeterJMC lives in Baltimore, active member**

That's not a bad price. May be someone should call the dealership and see how much charge for just labor to R&R timing kit.

I thought I saw my local said $299, or may be that was starting at...when you ask.

$1,000 does sound like a lot for that belt change. You do have three other Subaru dealerships within 30 minutes from you. Call around and price compare. Maybe you can bargain with your place of choice to see if they will price match the service.

Subaru of Cherry Hill (30 min from you) - subaruofcherryhill.com

Prestige Subaru (30 min from you) - prestigesubarunj.com

Deleware Subaru (27 min from you) - delawaresubaru.com

Here are some other recommended shops "close" to you. As you noted with AZP Installs, it's over an hour away. Agile probably wouldn't be worth the trip, paying tolls to get to Maryland would probably be the same as the cost of the timing belt change :lol:

Agile Automotive (1:09 from you) - http://www.agileauto.com/services.php

AZP Installs (1:22 from you) - http://azpinstalls.com/

If you're staying over try Kenilworth Inn. Not cheap, but if you show a government ID when checking in they should reduce your rate regardless of whether the trip is business or not. I think they charged me around $125. And it's walking distance from AZP (in daylight, some of the journey is without sidewalks). You could ask for a lift. And for your dining pleasure, Costa's on Chestnut Street near Westfield Avenue. Good Italian fare at reasonable prices.

Definitely not driving an hour and half to get the car worked on. Should something happen it's just adds too much complication to everything. Calling the other dealers is something I need to do especially since there will be no extra tax in Delaware.

While changing oil and trans oil this weekend I pulled the inspection cover to look at the belt and it looks pretty brand new. No cracks or dry rot looking. Thinking I might hold off until the spring/summer. Last week she popped a tire on the highway... 4 new tires and an alignment later makes me not excited to drop ANOTHER grand on the car in back-to-back months especially with it Christmas on its way.

Funny, I was told today that it was the belt that fails and everything else probably won't need to be replaced. Can't keep this info straight!

From reading Subaru forums over the last decade, I have rarely read of a timing belt failure or a water pump failure. But reports of failed tensioners and idler pulleys are fairly common.

Archived